Hot Water Heater Question for Newbie

JAMHud3

I recently purchased a NorthTrail 31QBS (first TT) and have a few questions regarding the Hot Water Heater. Can't remember everything that the dealer showed me during the walk-through.

How do you get water into the hot water heater tank?
Should the bypass WH be on or off if using electric?
Tried to turn on WH and turned on switch inside the TT and then pushed on the 'ON' at WH, but not flame (made sure that the LP was on) any ideas? When I push the "on" button it doesn't sound like I am getting any spark and I tried to light with match but no pilot light lights.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
JAMHud3, When you hook up to city water OR fill your fresh water tank and start pumping, water should flow into the WH. Make sure your HW bypass system is set for use and not by pass. The 2 valves on the in & out lines of the WH should be open and the single valve in between should be closed. When ever using the heater the bypass should be closed. DO NOT turn on the water heater if it is empty. I don't know what type heaters come in the North Trail. Did you get any owners packets with instructions for the appliances? It should give you the info you need regarding start up of the heater.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think the controls are fairly standard across the brands. To run your water heater on propane, look on the little panel that has the tank level indicators. There should be a small black switch that says HEATER. You have to turn this switch on to run the W/H on propane. The other switch that says water heater that looks like a light switch, usually lights up red, runs it on electric only. There may also be a black switch on the water heater when you remove the outside cover. This also needs to be in the on position to run electric. You can run the W/H on electric and propane at the same time, but it's usually not necessary. The electric works fine. As Ray said, though, be sure the valves are set correctly and there is water in the tank. Even if it's not hot, if you turn on the hot valve at the sink, water should come from the spigot.

irvin56

your hot water tank is inside front storage area

you have to remove the wood paneling inside storage to acess the valves.
YOU HAVE to crawl in to undo screws at back of panels.

I put and access hole in side on panel so I don't have to crawl inside again.

The water will enter the HWT by itself. sounds like all the valves may be closed.

Set them the way Ray mentioned.

The new models have a electric heater inside tank. MAKE SURE WATER IS IN IT BEFORE TURNING ON SWITCH.
otherwise the element will burn out.

the Propane has to be perched of any air first,
I alway turn on stove burners and make sure propane is there then turn on HWH. it will take maybe 5 or 6 attempts for air to perched. then heater will run.

Open access panel and make sure valves are right. Then run water into heater till it comes out of tap.

you will feel, hear air coming out of tap until it is full. then turn heater on.

JohnDar

There also is no pilot flame, it has a direct spark igniter, so holding a match won't do you any good. If you don't have a manual, you can contact Suburban by e-mail or phone to get one. Find your model number before you do. Phone/e-mail info is on the portal page of these forum.

JohnDar

On the PORTAL page under the TOOLS listing there is a Suburban owners manual.

Jim M

Voila! Since until recently I could not open any of those (thanks LinuxKidd), I forgot about that resource. But even with that, if you're stranded, in trouble and WiFi is nowhere to be found, it's good to have a printed copy of all manuals and instructions in your travel kit.

sputnick10

First Time Fulltimers
There should be a small black switch that says HEATER. You have to turn this switch on to run the W/H on propane. The other switch that says water heater that looks like a light switch, usually lights up red, runs it on electric only. There may also be a black switch on the water heater when you remove the outside cover. This also needs to be in the on position to run electric. You can run the W/H on electric and propane at the same time, but it's usually not necessary. The electric works fine.

I was just searching for how to do this... I could not figure out even after reading the manuals how to run the WH on electric only... I had both switches on. So I just turned off the "HEATER" switch and left on the ELEC HEATER light switch... I guess we will find out for sure in the morning.

JohnDar

I was just searching for how to do this... I could not figure out even after reading the manuals how to run the WH on electric only... I had both switches on. So I just turned off the "HEATER" switch and left on the ELEC HEATER light switch... I guess we will find out for sure in the morning.

If you have the red electric switch on (and it's lit up) and the black switch on the indicator panel off, you will be running the W/H on electric only. You should have hot water in less than an hour. We've never run our W/H on propane and always have plenty of hot water when we need it.

The manual is not real informative, to be sure.

sputnick10

First Time Fulltimers
Yes, we are on shore power... I was looking to conserver propane due to the extreem cold weather coming into N. Texas tonight and just reading the post about how the atomatic valve works on the tanks... The dealer explaned it different, and I just realized we are down to a half tank already!!! Wanted to make sure we had enough to last through the night so I can get the other tank filled in the AM.

JohnDar

Yes, we are on shore power... I was looking to conserver propane due to the extreem cold weather coming into N. Texas tonight and just reading the post about how the atomatic valve works on the tanks... The dealer explaned it different, and I just realized we are down to a half tank already!!! Wanted to make sure we had enough to last through the night so I can get the other tank filled in the AM.

Hope your propane makes it through the night! Might cut the thermostat down a couple of degrees just to stretch it. Otherwise, put on your black pajamas and grease paint and "borrow" a tank from a loudly snoring neighbor :D (Ninja Propane Service....just kidding)

sputnick10

First Time Fulltimers
Hope your propane makes it through the night! Might cut the thermostat down a couple of degrees just to stretch it. Otherwise, put on your black pajamas and grease paint and "borrow" a tank from a loudly snoring neighbor :D (Ninja Propane Service....just kidding)

ME TOO - It should be fine (i hope)... I have knocked it down to about 68 and will keep the elec fireplace running all night to help. We have been using it since Sunday afternoon, and that has been with cooking, heating, and the WH on gas and elec since I did not realize it was using gas until tonight... (Been concentrating on fixing all the water leaks on our brand new Landmark :mad: )