Dump Valve Question

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
In the photos, the small cable running from the dump handle connects via the big coupling with the set screw on it to the valve shaft. When the handle is pulled, the shaft slides out, opening the gate valve...etc...

Question for those of you with this experience...Is there any way that the gate portion of the valve has separated from the valve shaft? :confused:

I am assuming the valve is open because I see the shaft pulled out. Either something came loose in the valve and it's still closed or it's opened and 'simply' plugged!

Either way - I got problems. Need to dump the front black tank and nothing's coming out!

Advice - please! I can see messy things happening here! :eek::eek:

Attachments

• Valve Closed.JPG
    Valve Closed.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Valve Opened.JPG
    Valve Opened.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 174

Riverman

I had this happen on my last trailer. The stem was broken and the gate stays closed. Different brand of valve...but same function. Sorry - but things are gonna get messy. :eek:

PSF513

Dump Valve

On my BC, I had 2 of the 3 dump valve handles get hung up and not close fully. No matter how much I exercised it, filled the tanks to flush, etc I could never get them to close. They were replaced and it turns out the connection to the valve stems had slipped. No matter what I did, short of replacement, I was never going to get them to close tightly and stop filling the drain pipe so that I always had to catch the contents in a bucket when I opened it up at a camp site.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
HT, it might be that the cable has come off at the valve. More than likely the cable outside cover has pulled loose from the handle. Mine did that...but I could not shut off the valve. It can be fixed but you have to remove some of the belly cover to do it. If you can get the handle/cable out, then you can fix the cable housing. Put it in a vise and gently smash the outer part of the handle(metal part) back around the cable housing. Make sure the inner cable will move as you smash it. While your at it, pull the cable all the way out and grease it. Best I can tell ya...except buy the whole valve assemble with cable. BTW, that the only way you can buy the cable. Dont ask. :rolleyes: Bob:D

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
HT, it might be that the cable has come off at the valve. More than likely the cable outside cover has pulled loose from the handle. Mine did that...but I could not shut off the valve. It can be fixed but you have to remove some of the belly cover to do it. If you can get the handle/cable out, then you can fix the cable housing. Put it in a vise and gently smash the outer part of the handle(metal part) back around the cable housing. Make sure the inner cable will move as you smash it. While your at it, pull the cable all the way out and grease it. Best I can tell ya...except buy the whole valve assemble with cable. BTW, that the only way you can buy the cable. Dont ask. :rolleyes: Bob:D

If this happens, does the valve stem still move in & out with the handle? I opened a section of the belly and took these photos today, so getting to it is no problem. It's just that there is snow all around my skirting on the outside and the temps are BBBRRRRRRRR - COLD! Currently 1, looking for 15 tomorrow and -2 on Thursday - for the HIGH temps. Add the 30-40 mph winds, they're already talking about -45 wind chills.

I'm thinking of calling a port-a-john company and having them suck it out from the top, thru the toilet opening. Not sure how small and/or flexible their hose will be, but I'd be sure to let them know what they're doing. At least it would be less of the mess I'm picturing! :eek:

Glad I have another toilet and black tank! :cool: (One reason I got into the electrical field is because I hate plumbing!)

Last edited:

SmokeyBare

Yes, the handle can still move back and forth...

I used the JimToo Fix... worked for mine lose cable...when the cable covering came lose from the metal sleeve behind the dump handle...

JimToo suggested using a short length of threaded rod or cut off the hex head from a bolt & two Stainless Steel draw band clamps
Your going to need to get to the back side of the valve handles... on my BigHorn it was behind the frame... so I had to cut a flap in the belly cover... I folded it back & taped it shut once the repair was done. I was able to loosen the nut holding the handle onto the frame and pull enough through the frame to do the repairs.

Stuff the lose cable shield back in the steel sleeve... Clamp one of the stainless steel draw band on the metal sleeve the second clamp over top the plastic shield part of the cable... The threads bite into both the metal sleeve & the plastic cable cover... it's been working for quite a while now with this fix.

Good Luck !

Marv

Last edited:

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Yes, the handle can still move back and forth...

I used the BobCat Fix... worked for mine lose cable...when the cable covering came lose from the metal sleeve behind the dump handle...

Bobcat suggested using a short length of threaded rod or cut off the hex head from a bolt & two Stainless Steel draw band clamps.

Your going to need to get to the back side of the valve handles... on my BigHorn it was behind the frame... so I had to cut a flap in the belly cover... I folded it back & taped it shut once the repair was done. I was able to loosen the nut holding the handle onto the frame and pull enough through the frame to do the repairs.

Stuff the lose cable shield back in the steel sleeve... Clamp one of the stainless steel draw band on the metal sleeve the second clamp over top the plastic shield part of the cable... The threads bite into both the metal sleeve & the plastic cable cover... it's been working for quite a while now with this fix.

Good Luck !

Marv

So, you're saying - the handle could have come loose from the cable - even though the valve stem is moving in and out when the handle is pulled and pushed? I'm thinking the stem separated from the valve somehow - inside the valve, since it moves with the handle. :confused:

SmokeyBare

When My handle wouldn't open or close the Dump valve... it was caused by the cable coming loose from the metal Behind the handle I pull to dump.

The Cable that opens the valve operates much like a brake cable on a bike... it's held at two points... the handle & the other end is attached to the "GATE" of the valve. The center cable does the work... using the outer cable to guide the motion... If the outer cable separates from one end or the other... it ain't gona allow the valve to open.

When I did my fix... the plastic outer shield that covers the center steel cable that moves the valve... came loose where it attached to the bracket which was (in my Case) behind the frame... the dump handle is attached to the center steel cable only & moves back and forth freely inside the outer plastic coated cable.

IF the outer cable comes loose... the center cable shaft will not be able to open the gate valve to do the DUMP. It just flops around...

Sorry if I have confused you more... best I can do to describe what happened with ours...

Jon... now ya got me thinking.... I may have miss spoke... it could have been Jimtoo's idea... I just remembering reading it and as always was pretty pleased It did the fix for our problem !!!

Who Ever idea it was .... THANKS !

Marv

Bob&Patty

HT, after looking at your pix.....you might be right about something coming apart in the valve itself. Maybe it has some kind of blockage...such as TOOOOO many sewer trout swimming upstream at once. I dont think I would try to repair it with a full tank:confused: Bob:D

jimtoo

HT... do you have a fitting with a hose connector to put on outside and try and back flush into tank in case there is a cutout or something blocking from inside. Also might try and close valve, take cable loose, just loosen set screw in picture #1, and turn stem to maybe try and screw the stem back into the valve blade, that is if you cannot backflush into tank.

Jim M

Yes ,, Jon & Marv,,, I sent the drawings about the threaded bolt and clamps.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
HT, after looking at your pix.....you might be right about something coming apart in the valve itself. Maybe it has some kind of blockage...such as TOOOOO many sewer trout swimming upstream at once. I dont think I would try to repair it with a full tank:confused: Bob:D

I would agree with your assessment, Bob (although it might be a sewer octopus holding the valve blade :eek:) It does look like the cable is doing it's job, pulling the rod, but it's disconnected from the blade. I've never disassembled one of those, so I'm not sure how it's attached. It is a Valterra valve, maybe they can be contacted.

I pulled this off the Valterra website. Doesn't explain the problem, but the picture "looks" like you might be able to expose the connection between the rod and blade without taking a nasty shower. Maybe, I say.

http://www.valterra.com/files/Cable%20Valve%20Inst.%20English%20OEM.pdf

Bob&Patty

HT, after you get the issue repaired. I would install the extra Valterra valve on the end of the drain pipe. BTW, blue glue it on..........had to buy another one.............dont ask. There is large DNA sample for about 200 miles on I-5 in northern Calif. Bob:D

Netem

As cold as it is could it be possible the contents of the black tank froze at the valve?

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
As cold as it is could it be possible the contents of the black tank froze at the valve?

That was my first concern...but with tanks heaters I thought otherwise. I went ahead and put a heater underneath and dropped the edge of the underbelly so it would blow directly on the tank. If it had been frozen - no way it could be now.

Netem

I knew alot of you had tank heaters but thought maybe it wasn't working. I would say if you don't have some kind of blockage the gate had to have came off the shaft like I think it was Bob said since you can see the shaft moving. If the shaft is threaded maybe it can be screwed alittle deeper into the gate.