What to do about Condensation ?

LookN4Ward

Parked in McAllen Tx for the winter. It has been cool and we are unable to open windows. In the mornings the interior side of the windows are heavy with moisture. We are running the furnace, but it doesn't do much to dry out the interior air. Our water use is restricted to showers each morning. A Heartland Rep told me that each humid expels about 4 gallons of moisture per day. Anyone have a suggestion on reducing the condensation?

lwmcguir

Buy a good Humidity instrument. They are very cheap. You can get condensation and still have a good level in the coach. Target 40-50%. Any higher and things could get ugly. Below 30% and you will have static electricity. Operate your dehumidifier based on the target you want to maintain.

2010augusta

We have a Frigidaire 50 pint unit and here in the Northwet it removes about 1.5 gallons a day and we have dry windows.

SmokeyBare

The dual pane windows do make a difference for more than sound. Sure the frames transfer cold into the RV... and along with that they sweat from the difference from inside to outside temps, but the glass stays clear of condensation.

We're parked in Mission Texas... and are not having much problem with condensation. We'll see what the next few days give us... when the temps drop even more.

2010augusta

with the dehumidifier our window frames sre staying dry too, and it has been raining for about the last week. inside RH% is staying around 45%

Paul & Nan

We have been in Mission for a week, we 2 and 2 dogs, no problem with humidity, so far. Have had door open whenever possible. Have double pane windows. Will wait and see what the next few days bring, with the freezing temps expected. Our humidity is running about55-60% inside.

lwmcguir

Keep in mind that the warmer the air the more moisture/humidity it can hold. That is why the single pane windows will condense moisture even though the coach may be at 40% RH. If you get much more than 60% you are going to start getting moisture where you don't want it like in the luan board between the wall paper. Bubbles will appear and mold can start growing which is a real problem if you want to trade in a unit. 40-50 percent is a nice target and I know you cant always maintain this, just don't let it get well over 60% for long periods of time. Running the furnace will drop it down but in high humidity areas and with a lot of air infiltration it might be a wash.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Any final ideas for Californians who travel No America on which dehumidifier will work best for us and also is the quietest. Thanks for the feedback.

geeksrus

The dual pane windows do make a difference for more than sound. Sure the frames transfer cold into the RV... and along with that they sweat from the difference from inside to outside temps, but the glass stays clear of condensation.

We're parked in Mission Texas... and are not having much problem with condensation. We'll see what the next few days give us... when the temps drop even more.

Also in Mission... also with dual pane... also no condensation...

Eh!

CrazyScotsman

Up in the great white North, no condensation, because I get told, " It's a dry cold ".. lol, dry cold, wet cold, it's still bloody freezing regardless...
No wonder I have no condensation, I am in a hotel. duh :)

rick_debbie_gallant

about the dry air thing. My a/c (carrier model with remote) has a "dry" mode. according to the manuel it is to use as a sort of dehumidifier by cycling the a/c pump. seems to work for me.

Delaine and Lindy

Dual Payne Windows.

This is another example of having dual pane windows. I let one sells person talk us into a 5er with single pane window and of course I knew better but lessoned learned. Always go with dual pane windows, weight and cost is a moot point. GBY....

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
One of the most important things to help eliminate condensation is air circulation...crack open the bathroom vent and run the fan, you can also run the ceiling fan on low...this will greatly reduce condensation. Oh, and stop using space heaters if you are...they are a major cause of the problem.

New Bighorn owner across from us had this same issue...the above solved their problem almost instantly.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
If you don't like 'em WET...come up here with me. Then they'd be FROZEN! :eek::D:D:D

Only kidding, I wouldn't wish this place on anyone with the weather we're having right now. Blizzard conditions, blowing & drifting snow, below zero temps, wind speed minimum 25mph and wind chills to minus more than I can count on my fingers and toes! :eek:

Not working today, snow bound in the Cyclone! Headed back to bed for a nap! :cool:

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    580.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    424.6 KB · Views: 65

caissiel

Me and my friend both have new RV's, his is a SOB of the same size and weight. Last fall we were both at home till 10th of November. He had 2 Heaters and the furnace heating his unit and the water was pouring down the windows. He came to visit us in the same time and noticed the dry windows, did he ever regret not having double hung windows. We never had more then a bit of moisture on the bottom of the windows behind the closed curtains. So we never closed then fully and the moisture just went.
You have to open doors or windows in the cold to introduce dryer cold air in the unit once in a while, to replanish the human moiture, along with cooking moiture introduced inside the unit.
It was luck that we found this unit, and with the Fireplace and the windows, its the best Options we have, for us that live in an RV full time.

bigbird272

Any final ideas for Californians who travel No America on which dehumidifier will work best for us and also is the quietest. Thanks for the feedback.
I use a Danby dehumidifier here in the Vancouver Canada area. It is very quiet. I have no condensation anywhere. We are just like the Seattle area here. Rain most of the time in the winter, extremely damp.

Rick