View Full Version : Insurance

07-31-2006, 08:41 PM
I am in the process of buying an 07 Big Horn 3670RL. Where is the best case to get insurance for the trailer.:)

Wild Wind
07-31-2006, 09:17 PM
Ended up getting Insurance at Camping World thru GMAC. We switched verything over (1 car, 1 truck, the Bighorn & SunnyBrook) for well less then a $1,000.00. for 6 months. Gmac includes Broad collision, full road service and towing for all.

07-31-2006, 09:22 PM
I'm glad this subject has come up now as I am in the process of researching the same. I talked to someone with Foremost Insurance Company ... called their 800 number and spoke with a very helpful and pleasant rep. who gave me a pretty good quote and I may include the truck with them also. I will be watching the response to this post as well!
Grand Canyon will be here soon, so I need to make a decision.

07-31-2006, 09:25 PM
We have the GMAC thru the Good Sam Club, incl the road service. All vehicles, no problems whatsoever in the 4 or 5 years.

07-31-2006, 09:34 PM
I think I asked for a quote from the Good Sam folks-GMAC-wanted to include my TV also and they seemed high for me. I am in a situation where I need full timer coverage on the coach and I hardly drive the F250 but on weekends or if I'm towing, which will not be too much. I will be parked in a permanant spot for awhile and may tow somewhere every now and then. I have a so called "company" car that I drive during the week.

07-31-2006, 09:38 PM
We've been with American Modern Insurance (http://www.amig.com/products/rv.html) on the trailer for 2 years now. No claims so I can't speak to their performance.

We have replacement value coverage and other goodies. Costs $500/yr. Got Good Sam ERS this year so I'll be dropping the towing and emergency expense items from the insurance to save about $46 off that premium. That will cover about half my ERS for 2007.

Lynne, how cost-friendly was Foremost?


07-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Thanks everybody for the info. I will pick up the 3670 in about two weeks. Can,t Wait.

07-31-2006, 09:57 PM
I switched to GMAC several years ago and there are several things I like about the coverage. They do give you coverage as a full timer with no hassel. Also, if you park a vehicle for a period of time-a month or more-you can drop the liability and collision coverage and just keep the comprehensive. I do that when I leave a vehicle "abandoned" for a few months while I go somewhere with the RV. The other companies I checked didn't give me the fulltimer coverage that I wanted. Price wise, GMAC was hard to beat.

07-31-2006, 10:00 PM
I don't know about in the states or the rest of Canada, but in Alberta you can put your RV under your house insurance.

Ray LeTourneau
07-31-2006, 10:11 PM
We received a quote from Good Sam/GMAC and thought it was pretty good. I then tried Progressive. They offer a policy for Full Timers that mirrors the Package from GMAC for MUCH less money. We just signed on for both truck and 3400 RL

07-31-2006, 10:16 PM
When we went full time last November, our Insurance Company, USAA, didn't cover us, so we got quotes from Good Sam and Progressive......both had same coverage, Progressive was $300 cheaper. Fortunately haven't had to test it yet, but figured since it was the same coverage, might as well save a bit here and there.

Logan & Pat
Big Horn 3400RL #455

Paul & Nan
07-31-2006, 11:11 PM
Not fulltimers, but even when we were we got good coverage from State Farm. They have done well by us over about 15 years. Nancy

Tom of Ypsi
08-01-2006, 04:27 AM
We have Progressive insurance on both the truck and coach. Used the insurance to have my coach put on a flat bed truck when I broke down with no problems. Never checked other insurances but other people I know said GMAC was more expensive.

08-01-2006, 05:15 AM
We too are using Progressive. On the truck and trailer. Checked Good Sam, but progressive was a lot less expensive. Haven't had to use it yet though. They claim to be one of the biggest RV insureres out there.

The RV-Ramblers
08-01-2006, 07:36 AM
We have insurance with a regional company (coverage could be a problem when we travel out of the region, but I know that I am covered in that situation - just have to deal with independant adjusters). My liability coverage is at no cost as it is covered by the liability coverage on the tow vehicle. Might check to see if the RV liability is covered by the insurance on the tow vehicle.

mike surber
08-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Check you local Farm Bureau. You may be surprised.;)

08-03-2006, 05:21 PM
We have Foremost. It is around $600/year based on a value of $40k. The policy was $200 more than our car insurer Citizens, but had some benefits I like. For the first 5 years, the unit is replaced with like kind even if it cost more, and for the second 5 years a total loss pays the original purchase price. I thought that alone was worth the extra $200/year. I think the Good Sam/Camping World/GMC policy is about the same, except it allows you to drop collision when the unit is parked, foremost does not allow that. I didn't find that out until I had paid Foremost the annual premium. I might look at the GMC package when my policy comes due again.

08-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Well ... I am still searching ... getting quotes and would like to insure both TV and coach on the same policy. I really need the policy that allows me to drop the collison when not on the road, but does that still give me the fulltimer benefits? That is the dilema I am facing. I will be in the unit full time, in a permanant spot but also want the option to pull out and park at the lake for a month if I chose to. That option of "pulling off the site" really sends the quote off the scale! I may not go anywhere for 6 months or maybe more and just hate what these insurance companies are quoting me for "fulltimer" use, which to them, seems to imply being on the road, no matter what. I sure don't want to "under insure" but sure don't want to pay for things I don't need to either! :confused:

The RV-Ramblers
08-04-2006, 07:26 AM
Dropping the collision insurance when park may not be possible if the unit is financed. The finance company may not allow you to drop the collision but it is worth checking with them.

Wild Wind
08-04-2006, 10:48 AM
I would never drop collision libility insurance any time, unless you can affort a cash loss.
14 years ago we loss our 1982 Blue Bird Wander Lodge while camping and we where not at the site until later. It was a total loss. We had State Farm at the time and they were very good and wrote a check for the total amount we paid for it + sales tax. We also loss all of our personal property (had to go to WalMart that night for clothes to wear)
RV insurance doesn't cover your personal effects! Your home owners insurance covers personal libility & effects/property. Luckly we had full replacement value on our house insurance. State Farm paid $7,000 of a $11,000 loss on our personal items.
Our homer owners insurance came to our resque, when we were sued for our horse kicking a sue happy person, insurance company lawyers won, saving us over $100,000.00 and our only cost has been the yearly insurance premium.
We carry the max liability home & auto.
Many more things factor into insurance then basic costs and comparisions, I was lucky to have good insurance agents!
How many have people have heard the story about the motorhome couple, who's tow car blew a tire while traveling across Montana sereral years ago? FMAC had a very enlighting article about this accident.

08-04-2006, 04:55 PM
I haven't heard the story but am now dying to know.

08-04-2006, 09:11 PM
My polcy with Foremost indicates I have $3,000 coverage for personal items. The CW/GMAC policy allows collision to be dropped during times the coach is not in tow, like in Michigan during the winter. The policy still maintains comprehensive, fire, and theft which they tell me will cover a total loss. I don't know the provisions for full-timing.

08-09-2006, 08:27 PM
This sounds silly but when i checked with Camping world for the gmac insurance and than good sams (both are the same type insurance) the good sams was $40 less. and i only had to make one phone call as they are both from the same company. :D

02-25-2007, 11:46 AM
I went through my Insurance guy through progressive and it was around just a little over $500 per year on our Trailrunner. I went onto Rv America Insurance, they checked with 6 different carriers and we were quoted $277 through American Modern. I am impressed. :)

03-10-2007, 07:57 AM
We received our quote from RV America Insurance. They were $277 Annually with $250 Ded. Progressive was over $500 per year. Thought that was pretty good, just for the Trailrunner.
Greg & Bonnie from VT

03-10-2007, 03:42 PM
I selected Insurance through RV America Insurance Company.

This Company is rated " A - Excellent " by A.M. Best Company.

We are full timing and have no home so we needed a Personal Umbrella Policy, one that protected us with personal liability insurance.

The Policy has a Diminishing Deductibles of 25% for each year no claims are made. Total Replacment of the RV for the first 5 Model years. From the 6 year through the life of the policy... if the RV is totaled they will pay the exact cost we purchased the Fifthwheel for... No depretiation. Low branch damage is covered... Hail... Awnings as well. You can select a limit on your personal property. When selecting that $$ limit... remember all that came with the RV is covered... TV's, A/C's, Etc...

The cost for our Bighorn was $ 548.00 a year. This included our full timer umbrella policy. Here is a Link to the web page of this Company.



03-10-2007, 10:17 PM
I can not help but jump in on this since I am an Independent Insurance Agent. RV America is an insurance agency representing a number of companies. They have done a great job on getting licensed in 48 states and provide quotes from the companies that they represent.

Your local independent agent can do the same thing. I am just licensed in four states and I can write RV insurance through Progressive, American Modern, Foremost, GMAC, Safeco, and The Hartford.

Its great to get a number of quotes from quality companies to get the best combination of coverage and cost.

Tom of Ypsi
03-11-2007, 07:03 AM
We are currently with Progressive and are satisfied in Michigan. We are going fulltime becoming S.D residents and Progressive has full replacement for the first 5 years then resorts to NADA price after that. Checking with Good Sams the full replacement value is for 14 years then resorts to NADA. The prices for both were within a couple of hundred dollars of each other. Foremost was 'nt even close

03-11-2007, 10:21 AM
I can not help but jump in on this since I am an Independent Insurance Agent. RV America is an insurance agency representing a number of companies. They have done a great job on getting licensed in 48 states and provide quotes from the companies that they represent.

Your local independent agent can do the same thing. I am just licensed in four states and I can write RV insurance through Progressive, American Modern, Foremost, GMAC, Safeco, and The Hartford.

Its great to get a number of quotes from quality companies to get the best combination of coverage and cost.

It is time for us to renew our insurance on our BH 3055. We currently have it insured with Progressive. This was done at the time we purchased it almost a year ago, because it was easy, although it is written on a separate policy from the two vehicles. At that time and still now, we have our two vehicles, (truck and car) insured with them. They seem to be the best buy for us and our circumstances on the vehicles. However, after reading here on the forum, it appears that we may be able to get a better deal on 5er insurance elsewhere. The question, is if you have a different company on the 5er than the tow vehicle. Which company covers what and when? If you don't feel like answereing this I understand.
Thanks a lot in advance.

03-11-2007, 11:01 AM
You can buy your auto coverage from one company and the rv from another and you will most likely get a better deal and better coverage.

The auto policy provides coverage for the vehicle and provides liability coverage for the RV while pulling it. For example if someone is backing up their 5th wheel and hits a parked car, the damage would be paid to the parked car under the auto policy property damage liability. The damage to the Rv would be paid by the RV policy.

Be sure to purchase high limits on your auto policy. Once the limit has been paid the insurance company the coverage is over however you may have to pay the rest out of your own pocket and incur legal fees. Purchase at least Bodily Injury 250,000 each person / 500,000 each occurance and Property Damage of 100,000. Get quotes for higher limits and inquire about an liability umbrella policy too.

03-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi All:
I was just at the State Farm office the other days seeing what changes I could make now that I'm retired (DW isn't). I changes a bunch of things around (saved $$ here and $$ went up there). For $145 per year I can get a whopping 1 million dollar "umbrella". It covers a vast amount of things, even if you get sued for Slander! I think it's a good thing for the money.

I'm now in the lowest "daily/weekly" milage bracket now. I put more miles on my HD than the car/truck.