Insurance

alf1944

I am in the process of buying an 07 Big Horn 3670RL. Where is the best case to get insurance for the trailer.:)

Wild Wind

Ended up getting Insurance at Camping World thru GMAC. We switched verything over (1 car, 1 truck, the Bighorn & SunnyBrook) for well less then a $1,000.00. for 6 months. Gmac includes Broad collision, full road service and towing for all.

Midastouch

I'm looking for insurance also.

I'm glad this subject has come up now as I am in the process of researching the same. I talked to someone with Foremost Insurance Company ... called their 800 number and spoke with a very helpful and pleasant rep. who gave me a pretty good quote and I may include the truck with them also. I will be watching the response to this post as well!
Grand Canyon will be here soon, so I need to make a decision.

ct0218

We have the GMAC thru the Good Sam Club, incl the road service. All vehicles, no problems whatsoever in the 4 or 5 years.

Midastouch

I think I asked for a quote from the Good Sam folks-GMAC-wanted to include my TV also and they seemed high for me. I am in a situation where I need full timer coverage on the coach and I hardly drive the F250 but on weekends or if I'm towing, which will not be too much. I will be parked in a permanant spot for awhile and may tow somewhere every now and then. I have a so called "company" car that I drive during the week.

jbeletti

We've been with American Modern Insurance on the trailer for 2 years now. No claims so I can't speak to their performance.

We have replacement value coverage and other goodies. Costs $500/yr. Got Good Sam ERS this year so I'll be dropping the towing and emergency expense items from the insurance to save about $46 off that premium. That will cover about half my ERS for 2007.

Lynne, how cost-friendly was Foremost?

Jim

jpmorgan37

I switched to GMAC several years ago and there are several things I like about the coverage. They do give you coverage as a full timer with no hassel. Also, if you park a vehicle for a period of time-a month or more-you can drop the liability and collision coverage and just keep the comprehensive. I do that when I leave a vehicle "abandoned" for a few months while I go somewhere with the RV. The other companies I checked didn't give me the fulltimer coverage that I wanted. Price wise, GMAC was hard to beat.

nhunter

I don't know about in the states or the rest of Canada, but in Alberta you can put your RV under your house insurance.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We received a quote from Good Sam/GMAC and thought it was pretty good. I then tried Progressive. They offer a policy for Full Timers that mirrors the Package from GMAC for MUCH less money. We just signed on for both truck and 3400 RL

tinkers

Full timers
When we went full time last November, our Insurance Company, USAA, didn't cover us, so we got quotes from Good Sam and Progressive......both had same coverage, Progressive was $300 cheaper. Fortunately haven't had to test it yet, but figured since it was the same coverage, might as well save a bit here and there.

Logan & Pat
Big Horn 3400RL #455

Paul & Nan

Not fulltimers, but even when we were we got good coverage from State Farm. They have done well by us over about 15 years. Nancy

Tom of Ypsi

We have Progressive insurance on both the truck and coach. Used the insurance to have my coach put on a flat bed truck when I broke down with no problems. Never checked other insurances but other people I know said GMAC was more expensive.

nscaler2

Progessive Too

We too are using Progressive. On the truck and trailer. Checked Good Sam, but progressive was a lot less expensive. Haven't had to use it yet though. They claim to be one of the biggest RV insureres out there.

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
We have insurance with a regional company (coverage could be a problem when we travel out of the region, but I know that I am covered in that situation - just have to deal with independant adjusters). My liability coverage is at no cost as it is covered by the liability coverage on the tow vehicle. Might check to see if the RV liability is covered by the insurance on the tow vehicle.

svd

We have Foremost. It is around $600/year based on a value of $40k. The policy was $200 more than our car insurer Citizens, but had some benefits I like. For the first 5 years, the unit is replaced with like kind even if it cost more, and for the second 5 years a total loss pays the original purchase price. I thought that alone was worth the extra $200/year. I think the Good Sam/Camping World/GMC policy is about the same, except it allows you to drop collision when the unit is parked, foremost does not allow that. I didn't find that out until I had paid Foremost the annual premium. I might look at the GMC package when my policy comes due again.

Midastouch

Well ... I am still searching ... getting quotes and would like to insure both TV and coach on the same policy. I really need the policy that allows me to drop the collison when not on the road, but does that still give me the fulltimer benefits? That is the dilema I am facing. I will be in the unit full time, in a permanant spot but also want the option to pull out and park at the lake for a month if I chose to. That option of "pulling off the site" really sends the quote off the scale! I may not go anywhere for 6 months or maybe more and just hate what these insurance companies are quoting me for "fulltimer" use, which to them, seems to imply being on the road, no matter what. I sure don't want to "under insure" but sure don't want to pay for things I don't need to either! :confused:

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
Dropping the collision insurance when park may not be possible if the unit is financed. The finance company may not allow you to drop the collision but it is worth checking with them.

Wild Wind

I would never drop collision libility insurance any time, unless you can affort a cash loss.
14 years ago we loss our 1982 Blue Bird Wander Lodge while camping and we where not at the site until later. It was a total loss. We had State Farm at the time and they were very good and wrote a check for the total amount we paid for it + sales tax. We also loss all of our personal property (had to go to WalMart that night for clothes to wear)
RV insurance doesn't cover your personal effects! Your home owners insurance covers personal libility & effects/property. Luckly we had full replacement value on our house insurance. State Farm paid $7,000 of a $11,000 loss on our personal items.
Our homer owners insurance came to our resque, when we were sued for our horse kicking a sue happy person, insurance company lawyers won, saving us over $100,000.00 and our only cost has been the yearly insurance premium.
We carry the max liability home & auto.
Many more things factor into insurance then basic costs and comparisions, I was lucky to have good insurance agents!
How many have people have heard the story about the motorhome couple, who's tow car blew a tire while traveling across Montana sereral years ago? FMAC had a very enlighting article about this accident.