"Swelling Belly Bar" Question

ChopperBill

Timk and you other folks that did the support modification did you take the bottom off and put the tank back into position before you put the bar in place? Or did you just push the tank up and place the bar across the bottom? I can see where the tank lays on the bottom covering so it would be pretty easy to line a bar across the bottom. My tank monitor reads a third full when empty so maybe a wire came off or shorted also when the tank fell out of position?

svd

When I did ours, I did pull down the covering, but after doing it I discovered I didn't need to. The tank did hang well below the side frame rails. My unit had 2 metal straps under the tank that were held in place to the angle iron with steel dowel pins (no plywood under my tank). They were still in place, but did allow the tank to sag.

I remounted the undercovering, and then placed a 12 inch square piece of plywood I had between the tank and a floor jack to raise the tank up enough to install the brace. It really wasn't too difficult at all. I used the same setup Tim did for a brace.

timk

Bill,

If you drain the tank first, it pushes up quite easily.

I did take the belly off to look for damage and found none. What was there was just some steel and wood bending with the weight of the water.

Your sensors should be attached to the side of the tank, and it shouldn't have moved much. Your sensor issue might be unrelated.

TimK

dieselengineer

Charter Member
pin shear

Bill, When I did my I also removed the covering. As SVD said there is a steel band that has a hole in the ebd that slips over a dowel pin. The noise you heard could have been this pin shearing. It would be best to remove the covering and check for damage. I welded up a support out of C channel and all the weight is now riding on the frame rails. The original design placed a large twist in the light angle iron supports.

ChopperBill

FINALLY got the GMC back from the body shop today from the tire damage. Going to take the BH into the dealer tomorrow for a few things. I think I will insist that they take the cover off and inspect the tank. It did make a big POP when it left its mountings. I can plainly see the square end of one edge of the tank. If all they want to do is put it back into its place I will do the channel iron deal. Looks pretty simple and straight forward. Don't think many of us are real boon dockers so just a few of us need the advertised capacity of the fresh tank. The support should give it to us.

Uncle Rog

I am taking my rig to Lake Shasta in couple of weeks, I found an authorized HL shop that will go over my list on my return, with an appointment, requires pulling the belly liner and he said that they over repair for stuff like dropped tanks and leaks, interesting to hear your experiences. Just a note, I had to tighten my lugs 5 times in the first 500 miles !!!!! My rig is 2006 3600RL

Uncle Rog

This is a shower leak situation, the tub access underneath the shower control knobs was not installed correctly. The screw on the top of the wall mount / female fixture was stripped so the unit will not fit flush with the wall. A good silicone caulk, one that will stay permeable is my fix, took a while to figure that one out..............