Sagging Underbelly

Two Hands

This afternoon I started getting my 2007 Big Horn 3055RL ready for a trip next week. Yes, here on the central coast of California we can camp year around, but it was a brisk 73 degrees or so. I noticed a large bubble-like protrusion in the material that encloses the underbelly. This huge sag extended from about the front of the front axle to just in front of the black tank outlet and almost the entire width. When I pushed up it was very heavy, but there was no sound or movement like it was filled with water. Several of the washers and bolts that had been in place to secure the material were gone and there were holes in the material where they had been. I bought new ones and tried to install them, but could not do so. I could not see well, but it looked like the heads of the bolts that had been in place had broken off. I will try to get my mechanically talented friend to take a look at it tomorrow.

Anyone have any ideas of what might have happened? Don't ask me to post any pictures, because I have no idea how to do that. I barely know how to turn on the computer.

caissiel

My front gray tank straps were loose and the weight of the black water tank on top was more then the angle could hold. I reinforced it to allow the belly sheet to be fasten straight again.

Bobby A

I have noticed when my gray tank is full my underbelly sags, I can watch it go back up when I pull the valve to dump it. I usually keep my gray tanks open except when draining or flushing the black tank.

caissiel

On the 3500RL the bathroom Gray tank is behind the storage area and below the Black tank. On mine the weight of both tank is on a small angle that was bending so I had to reinforce it with 2 hangers, and tighten the straps so it will not push down on the belly.

Two Hands

Thanks for your replies. Both grey tanks and the black tank are empty, the fresh water tank is about 1/3 full. If my RV buddy can't help me tomorrow then I will take it to my RV repair facility after this short upcoming trip.

kkamshop

Hope you don't find what I found when our underbelly was sagging. It had 30 pounds of wet insulation, water was coming in when we drove in the rain.

It took all summer to figure out what it was, and to get it fixed.

Two Hands

The front area of this sag had been opened up before and resealed with tape. I have no idea when this was done or who did it. We slit the tape and looked inside. No water, completely dry and no soggy insulation. It was difficult to see, but the black and grey tanks seemed okay. That's the good news. The bolts and washers that originally held the belly in place looked to have been sheared off. I have no idea why, but it may explain the tape. I stupidly decided to replace the bolts and drilled right next to an original hole on the port side. After going through the metal a stream of clean water hit me. I assume I drilled a hole in the fresh water tank. My CEO, who is the one who won't let me touch a screw driver, chewed my butt good. This happens every time I try to do my own repairs, why do I try. It just ends up costing me more money. I have an appointment Tuesday for repairs.

Two Hands

I took the Big Horn to Camping World in Rocklin, California. They do not repair plastic tanks because the plugs vibrate out. They would order a new tank from Heartland. However, we are headed back home very soon so we will have the repair facility in Santa Maria, California do the repairs. Now I have some RV acquaintances insisting that there are repairs that will work and will be much less expensive than replacing the water tank. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Wharton

Has heartland re-enforce the supports for the tanks? We travel inthe winter and start with our water tank full. Many CG's have limited facilities(no water) in the winter. We are planning to order a BH and need to know if we need to add support to the tanks before we take off.

Thanks

Two Hands

The technician repaired the hole in the bottom of my fresh water tank by installing a sensor identical to the one used to indicate the amount of water in the tank. He did not connect it to anything, thus it is simply acting like a plug. A Heartland Service Rep had mentioned this as a possible repair. Camping World had charged me $59 to tell me they wouldn't repair the tank. They could have told me this before performing any of the labor to open the belly. I pointed this out and they were kind enough to give me a refund. I probably should not have posted this information before filling the tank to check for leaks. My thanks and appreciation to dennisz for his sage advice.

rick_debbie_gallant

I had a saggy belly just behind the rear axle. When I pushed up on it water came out from between the belly material and the I beam. I drilled two holes in the middle of the
bulge and lots of water drained out. I hope there was no fibreglas insulation in there.