Hijacker hitches

MC9

Has anyone used a Hijacker hitch, specifically the UMS21 with the under box rails?

wyleyrabbit

I have a Hijacker 16k dual pivot hitch. No idea what the model number is though. We do have rails in the bed. We're happy with it.

Riverman

We have the UMS-21 in our 2007 Dodge MegaCab. Sorry but I am unable to give you a review as we have not picked up our trailer yet. Looks pretty sweet tho!

beardedone

Beardedone
I have the 21,000 dual pivot hitch, but with in-box rails. Works well. This is the third Hi-Jacker hitch I have owned and no problems.

wyleyrabbit

I just went to Hijacker's website. I have the 24-SLP-16 hitch, and am happy with it.

Initially I considered "cheaping out" and not getting the double-pivot one, but I'm really glad we did. We've now been in a couple of not-so-level campsites where we would have been stuck if we didn't have the double-pivot. Make sure that you get that feature.

Chris

MC9

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to put the UMS 21 in my new (to me) 2008 F-250 V-10. I have a poly drop-in bedliner. Jeff at the factory says there is 5/8 in. of clearance, I really need 3/4 in. He thinks the liner will crush a little. I think a Dremel tool will be more useful. I do like the looks and higher capacity of the Hijacker over the Pullrite. Did I mention $300 cheaper.

Riverman

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to put the UMS 21 in my new (to me) 2008 F-250 V-10. I have a poly drop-in bedliner. Jeff at the factory says there is 5/8 in. of clearance, I really need 3/4 in. He thinks the liner will crush a little. I think a Dremel tool will be more useful. I do like the looks and higher capacity of the Hijacker over the Pullrite. Did I mention $300 cheaper.

Whoa! V-10??! Do you have a personal oilwell? That thing is gonna burn some serious fuel with a 5th wheel behind her. You better get the sliding hitch so you can put a extra fuel tank in front!:confused:
I have the under box mount, but with a spray-in box liner. Clearance wasnt a problem for mounting. Clearance between the cab & trailer has yet to be determined. Wishing now I woulda got the auto-slide model....just incase!

MC9

Riverman, my plan is to use lots of fuel and that will drive the price down. (Anything produced in large quantities is cheaper, right?) Do you have enough slop to fit your hitch on top of a drop-in liner? Would a little grinding make it fit?

Riverman

I have no slop but currently have 1/2" of clearance between hitch base and box floor - not sure if you can crush your poly liner enough to engage the pins? give it a try

Last edited:

beardedone

Beardedone
Are you putting your hitch on top of a drop in liner? I hope not because it will cause a lot of trouble and in some areas, like BC, you would be stopped on the side of road by officials until it was remedied. It certainly would be crushed but not enough to eliminate slack which will place excessive and rapid wear on the bolts. I think you should check around about your proposed installation.

Riverman

MC9 - I found this on Hijackers website. Check the very last page. It covers the procedure for above box mounting with a drop in liner, but nothing about under the bed mounts. It appears on mine that I have a good 1/2" clearance between my hitch & the box floor. If your pins wont engage with the drop in liner you always have the option of removing it and spraying a new liner.
http://www.hijacker.com/manual/Hijacker-manual-090209b.pdf#page=6