Patience is running out

ralphpam

This will probably be a somewhat long post as this has been ongoing since June and a lot has happened. First we are not "bashing" customer service, just frustrated and no names will be mentioned, just cs for the customer service person.

Heartland recommended a repair facility an hour from where we were staying. We called and talked to the manager/owner? and explained what work we would need and that we are living in the rig. We made an appointment for June 6 and arrived on time to be greeted by the person we had talked to telling us that he did not want to do the work - no phone call to tell us this. After some discussion he agreed to go ahead and write it up. They called that the parts were there in mid-August on the day my husband was admitted to the hospital for the first of what turned out to be 6 admissions and a total of 27 days. He was diagnosed with a-fib and went through the usual procedures to correct it, but none worked. Meanwhile, he had complications from blood thinners and they finally did a colonoscopy and found one cancerous tumor. This was his 3rd colonoscopy and he hit the jackpot. He had colon surgery to remove the tumor. With his a-fib his heart rate was very high and they kept increasing his meds until his heart said enough and began stopping for up to 4 seconds for more than 15 times a minute. He had a pacemaker put in to control the ventricle and they ablated the av node. Once that was done he started chemo treatments. I kept in touch with the repair facility to let them know that we had no idea when we would be able to get the rig to them. He was on activity restrictions due to a-fib and then because of the pacemaker. I finally agreed to go get the parts so that they did not have to keep storing them. That was when the manager/owner got involved again and decided to charge us a fee for writing up the order, checking in the parts and storage of the parts. We called cs and was told they would see what they could do. We heard nothing so called again several times and left messages but heard nothing. We talked again to the manager/owner and he agreed to wait until March to do the work and keep the parts. That was on a Tuesday in Nov. and on Sat he called and screamed at us that he would not do any warranty work for Heartland and if we wanted him to do the work we had to bring the rig to him the next week and pay for the work ourselves. Otherwise, we had to pay his extortion fee to get our parts.Since we figured that Heartland would not send the same parts again we paid his fee and picked up the parts. We also got a copy of the work order sent to Heartland and approved by Heartland and the original packing slip with the parts listed that were sent. Once we were back at the rig we unpacked the parts and of the 9 parts Heartland sent only 3 of them were correct and many were never even sent. Now we were even more upset, so called cs once again and explained what had happened.They said this had never happened before so they did not know what to do. They ask for all of it in an e-mail which I did and they would see what they could do. We heard nothing for over a week so called and they said they had not received the e-mail. We also asked if they had a copy of the work order on the computer which they did not. We resent the e-mail and scanned and sent the work order. Again we heard nothing. Called and yes they had the e-mails. One of the issues was a loose power cord that caused one leg of our electric to fluctuate in voltage and at times just quit - happened to be the leg that the living room TV and computer was on so wasn't doing them much good. We asked if they could at least please send a replacement ( one of the wrong parts sent) They would see what they could do.Also asked what they wanted us to do with all of the wrong parts (2 refer doors that are the wrong color among other things) that we are storing and they said they did not want them back. Now let me see - we paid for these wrong parts that they do not want so maybe they would have sent us new parts and we could have saved close to $300, part of which was for checking in the parts that are wrong and missing! Again heard nothing. Once again we called and yes the part was on order but further discussion revealed that again it was the wrong part. We finally did receive a new power cord just before Christmas and problem solved for that. We e-mailed our thanks for the cord and again ask how we might get the rest of the issues taken care of and gave them a couple of ideas. Again no response. Meanwhile our w/h by pass decided to leak and before we found it (who checks their basement everyday) we had a flooded basement and underbelly. Now one of the side affects of his chemo is tingling and numbness in his hands when cold and believe me the water is cold here and he can't lift more than 10 lbs with his left side only! So, I unloaded everything and mopped and mopped. He managed to drill 3 small holes in the underbelly to drain it and with my help we capped the leaking line. And who in their right minds glues plastic fittings into brass that you can't remove! So another call to cs. Did they get the e-mails - yes. What do you have on the computer to be repaired? As cs read the list they had I checked them off on our work order. Some of what they had was correct, some was not ours and some was missing.Will you send us the parts that just need to be replaced - NO. How do we get this work done? Take it to another repair facility and have it all written up again, sent in and wait for approval and parts again! As long as it was on the computer before our warranty is up in April, they would fix it. But how do I know that it is in fact on the computer and is correct since it is not correct now! Cs finally agreed to send us the broken curtain holders, bathroom faucet and w/h bypass valve and all parts for that if I would send an e-mail. E-mail sent. Took rig to place where we were getting the parts for the water leak as they said they would work with Heartland. Meanwhile another hose on the wh valve started to leak so eliminated the valve altogether. They wrote it all up and on Friday were to FAX it to Heartland. Back to park and putting the slides out took 15 minutes of stopping and starting - this has gotten worse every time we do this so another call to cs. Let them know that another work order was coming and that our slide fuse needed to be changed from 50 to 80 - told not Heartland problem, they would check with Lippert. Not sure that will happen. Cs said they would try to expedite the parts and make sure they are all there and correct. Time will tell if it happens this time! Now we need to find out what type of insulation is in the front underbelly because it was soaked in the flood and may need to be replaced. If it does need replaced that has to be added to our work order - so another phone call or 2 on Monday and hope these items are added for approval. Sorry for the length - any wonder our patience is running out?

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Pam, make sure you talk to Jim Fenner, Mgr of HL Warranty customer service to calmly explain everything. I am sure he will help you get the proper parts and service to your satisfaction. I hope you have contacted the dealer who sold you your rig. Maybe he can get a driver to take your rig to his location to do the repairs. Since he is a HL dealer, he should have easy access to get the proper arrangements done to your satisfaction. If you have to stay in a hotel for a few days, it's worth it.

Sorry to hear about your husband and his various medical problems. Hope he repairs in a timely fashion. Good luck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
What Derrick said. I have had the underbelly down. If your issue is just water sitting in the belly. Drill a small hole at the low point and let it drain. I did that on mine. Water can get in there from lots of things. Problem solved. Bob:D

ralphpam

Thanks for the information on the underbelly. We had drilled holes and it is drained now. Sounds like the insulation will be fine. We are always friendly and polite in dealing with Heartland and we are sure that they will get everything fixed. We just wanted people to know that it is not always as easy as "just call customer service" or "they will send the parts". It sometimes takes a lot of e-mails, phone calls and following up to get the job done. We love our Bighorn and believe Heartland is a very good company!

biggziff

I'm very sorry that you've had some much trouble...I cannot imagine anyone going through so much and still remaining calm and collected.

Delaine and Lindy

Delaine and I are so sorry for all your issues. Pam I would call Jim B and talk to him, Jim is very good at solving problems. I'm sure Jim will help as much as possible. GBY...

DW_Gray

Pam, I understand the problems you are going through. Firstly, I can relate very well how you are handling the health issues with your husband. Twelve years ago I received a defibrillator and it has saved my life once. Six years ago my first wife battled cancer. You dealing with all these health issues is hard enough if you're living in a house. I'm sure it is even greater when you're living in a RV. My heart goes out to you and Ralph. I hope and pray Ralph will return to full health soon.

I know very well how frustrating it is dealing with customer service, Heartland and others. I'm less than pleased too. I've now let my Heartland warranty expire knowing that some items needed to be repaired and or replaced just because I've given up on them and I got tired of feeling frustrated all the time. I wonder sometimes how some of these businesses stay in business. I don't understand how so many customers continue to let these companies mess with there lives like that. It's kind of like they have a gun to our heads and there is nothing we can do about it.

Take care, happy New Year and may you be blessed with good health.

Last edited:

wdk450

Heartlanders to the Rescue!!!

Pam:
If you so desire, let the forum know where you are located and how we can help. Do you need your rig towed somewhere? If you arfe within 100 miles of me, you have my offer to help.

2010augusta

Pam:
If you so desire, let the forum know where you are located and how we can help. Do you need your rig towed somewhere? If you arfe within 100 miles of me, you have my offer to help.

Ralph & Pam, I see you have your location posted in Mt. Vernon that is only about 1.5 hours from us in Gig Harbor, so if you need the trailer transported contact us and I'll help you all as soon as I can. I feel for you haveing to be without a home while the trailer is in the shop. Sand and I had to spend a month in an extended stay place while our Landmark was in Fife.

ralphpam

Thank you all so much for your offers of help. By the time we have to move the rig again, he should be off restrictions. There are wonderful people out there and we so much appreciate all of you! Heartland is working very hard to get everything right and we thank all of them that have taken over and are getting the job done!! Thank you, thank you!!!!