Campgrounds near Grand Canyon

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
We would like to make a nice trip to the Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona from SoCal in Feb 2010 and are searching for campgrounds there and on the way there. We have memberships in several campground Resorts, including RPI, Coast to Coast, Happy Camper, Leisure Time, etc as well as Good Sam. We don't care if it's a non-membership campground just someplace near Grand Canyon, whichever entrance is the best. Anyone have ideas? How about Grand Canyon Village? I searched the forum but was unable to find one post about grand canyon so I am reaching out for help! It's my 60th bday gift from my DW Debbi, to go camping and I choose the Grand Canyon.

talley

Larry, Diane and I stayed at Grand Canyon Village in July 2008. We had considered RV park in Williams and riding train to Grand Caynon. But finally decided against and was able to get reservations at the Village. We stayed three days... and if space had been available would have stayed another two days. There is excellent free bus service provided in the park (at least at that time). A bus will pick you up in the Village and take you to the central visitor area, or you can walk from the Village. There is a lot to see (at least during the Summer month we were there) and it was great to already be in the center of everything without have to drive in and out of the park each day. There are a couple of RV parks just outside the South Rim entrance... one being "Jellystone" (Fred Fintstone/Bedrock). Don't know if open in Winter months.

I would try for Grand Canyon Village.

Jerry

Larryheadhunter

Thanks Jerry,
I am beginning to second guess a trip to the Grand Canyon in February and may try to go early April instead when it may be a bit warmer as spring approaches. Did you check out the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park, where u can drive to the south rim or take the train? Are you referring to the Grand Canyon Camper Village or the Grand Canyon Trailer Village South Rim? On http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Arizona/Grand_Canyon_Village.html
both got some so so reviews. The camper village got two 3's and a 9, and the trailer village got some 8's and 7's. Please advise.

jimtoo

Hi Larry,

A couple of years ago we stayed at Railside RV Ranch in Williams, Az.
Very nice clean park, nothing fancey, but great people running it and they have something going every night at the park, movies, hamburgers cookout, fish fry, live music, lots of fun, and all this was just for a donation. The folks also had free Continental Breakfast with lots of goodies.

They also suggested other ways of going to the Canyon, go in the back way and miss all the buses and traffic. They even volunteered to walk our traveling companions dogs while we were gone to the Canyon.

Would I stay there again... you bet.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lar, I think that is a good call on waiting until April. It snows at the Grand Canyon. Been there, and the roads can be icy. Bob:D

branson4020

Icantre Member
Larry,

Joyce and I stayed at Grand Canyon Railway RV Park in October. It's 100% paved, just a giant parking lot really and darned expensive. Not much to recommend it except that its all pull-throughs and pretty easy access. We rode the train, which I thought was a waste of time, and only got to spend a short time at the South Rim. Next time we are going to stay in the Village.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
February is usually a cold and snowy month at the Grand Canyon. April is a much better time unless you enjoy playing in the snow and ice. Remember April is before school is out (except for Spring Breaks) and it has warmed up considerably. Your choice. We passed through that way in the middle of March and Flagstaff still had freezing weather. Remember the highest point in Arizona is just west of Flagstaff.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
The Texas Boomers-my old camping group-are going to Railside in Williams AZ for the IRV2.com national rally this summer. Due to a workcamping gig we have sign on for, we won't be making this trip but the park looks pretty good.

mlburst1

We stayed at Circle Pines KOA in Williams a few years ago - nice park with several options to visit the Grand Canyon - we took the train and enjoyed it greatly.

2010augusta

North Rim

We like the North-rim better and stayed at the Jacob lake RV Park. it is a beautiful park. Kinda like a forest service park but for big rigs. we had no issues maneuvering the Landmark around and getting it level. there are still lots of trees and trails around the park and it is near the lake.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We like the North-rim better and stayed at the Jacob lake RV Park. it is a beautiful park. Kinda like a forest service park but for big rigs. we had no issues maneuvering the Landmark around and getting it level. there are still lots of trees and trails around the park and it is near the lake.

Dont try to go to the north rim in February because it is closed. Check with the park for opening dates on the north rim.

2010augusta

Don't try to go to the north rim in February because it is closed. Check with the park for opening dates on the north rim.

OH:eek:, Thanks Jim. I missed that the OP was traveling in Feb. North rim and Jacob lake is a definite NO-GO until late summer.

Larryheadhunter

Alan, from Mid-October till mid may the Park ranger service is closed around the North Rim which kind of dims that prospect if we go early April. So the South Rim entrance seems the right location to be close to. Williams or inside the Grand Canyon Camper Village or the Grand Canyon Trailer Village South Rim seems to be the only choice inside. I am still curious which one of those campgrounds get higher ratings to stay at. If anyone could relate their experiences in both of those campgrounds I would appreciate it. I was even thinking of staying 3 days at each location, with the opportunity while camping at Williams, to go to Sedona, Prescott, and Flagstaff. Who knows this planning stuff is not easy.

I am glad I opened a Grand Canyon thread as it's such a popular place and we should all have as much info before we decide our itinerary.

Larryheadhunter

LOL Alan and Jim you beat me to the North Rim being closed in the winter. Do you think Grand Canyon will be warm enough in April? If I had time I would combine it with the beautiful Utah parks of Zion and Bryce. I am still concerned about the weather. Summertime just seems so crowded and really hot for me in that area.

2010augusta

we hit all those park in mid September and they were not crowded, must kids are back in school and the parks are allowing private vehicles again by then. if in Utah and going to Bryce, DO NOT miss Cedar Breaks just outside cedar city.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We are looking to go in early April as well. We'll be heading back to WI fron Indio. I found that all of the Nat'l Park campgrounds have length limits so we can't get into them. We will be doing research on area cg's as well. I was going to take the train also but found out no pets allowed so we will be looking to stay somewhere in between Williams and the South Park entrance. Larry, maybe we could get together. We're pretty flexible regarding departure dates from here. They want us to stay all Summer but that ain't gonna happen. We can leave any day after April 1st.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I think it's good to go a bit early or late in the season when you might get a little weather. Here's 4 pictures from our trip last October taken within the space of an hour. April could be terrific.

talley

Thanks Jerry,
I am beginning to second guess a trip to the Grand Canyon in February and may try to go early April instead when it may be a bit warmer as spring approaches. Did you check out the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park, where u can drive to the south rim or take the train? Are you referring to the Grand Canyon Camper Village or the Grand Canyon Trailer Village South Rim? On http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Arizona/Grand_Canyon_Village.html
both got some so so reviews. The camper village got two 3's and a 9, and the trailer village got some 8's and 7's. Please advise.[/

Grand Canyon Trailer Village South Rim.... I agree with the ratings and review at the link you posted. In my opinion you are going to the Grand Canyon and want to get the most from the experience. As I said in my original post, when planning our trip we had wanted to stay in Williams, Az and take the train in to the park. We ended up staying at the South Rim trailer park and feel it was much better than staying outside the park and driving in each day. The train will stay for a fixed time and you must follow that schedulel. If you stay in the park you have the flexability to alter your schedule, have lunch, return to your Rv and take a break, etc. The park rangers have free informative talks scheduled and with RV close by we were able to have more time sightseeing in the park and taking advantage of the scheduled actiivities.

BTW... restaurent at the hotel at the South Rim was very good, "white tablecloth" environment and worth the visit. Probably a good idea to visit when chance of good weather prevails. I was surprised at the open access to the canyon rim... don't want any ice anywhere nearby.

Have a good visit

Jerry