Air Ride 5th Wheel Hitch by Hensley

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
We have a pullrite 18K hitch but frankly we are second guessing ourselves because of the rough ride we are experiencing, although the auto slider is awesome and the Mor/Ryde Pin Box does help some chucking. The problem is with a bad back I need a hitch that will really smooth out the ride. I have found a hitch that appears to be head and shoulders above all others and would like some feedback on it. They are called air ride 5th wheel hitches. According to their website, the cost is almost the same as the pullrite auto slider.

The Trailer Saver system made by Hensley mfg. http://www.trailersaver.com seems like a great alternative as it is an air-ride hitch that cushions the shock from the road using 2 heavy-duty air bags, and gives you tight precise control of the ride. The thick 1 and 1/8" jaws of the Holland head encircle the kingpin stopping unwanted movement or slop. They also have 2 different sliders available. They say that no other hitch in the market eliminates fore and aft pushing and pulling like their TS3 model or their BD3 model that can be removed in 2 pieces.

If I decide to buy this hitch, I would have an 18K less than 2 yr.old pullrite super glider for sale. I am really interested in our technical people's feedback as I am a mechanical midget.

biggziff

While I can't speak to this Hensley product, the other Hensley stuff gets rave reviews. Check rv.net for a much larger audience and better chance of a reply.

khseiler

2010: Cyclone #3010
I have the TS3 and glad that I spent the extra $$$ to put on the air hitch. The ride is so smooth that you can hardly tell that you are hauling, in my case 14,000lbs. I would highly recommend this product.

bill40

Larry can't speak for the ride of your Ford but my Chevy was very rough with our BC,made a few changes with the trail air pin hitch and it did improve greatly. A good friend of mine just got the hitch you are asking about, well we hitched up the BC and let me tell you what a difference ( same truck as mine). When you figure the price of my hitch and the mods I have made it would have paid to move up. You can bet as soon as I can get the pennies together there will be one in the bed of the chevy. If you can find someone with one take your BH for a pull.

scott b

Trailsaver

Larry , the difference in the way your trailer feels when you are towing with an Air Ride hitch and a Static hitch are night and day. The added expense for the Trailsaver is worth every dime. Less wear and tear to every part of your set up, easier on your truck, trailer, and the contents of both, but mostly easier on your already aching back. If you want the ultimate in comfort, get a Moryde pin box. The Moryde takes care of the Chucking back and forth, the Trailsaver takes care of the up and down..Good Luck ...Scott

beasleyrl

TS3 is a great hitch. I purchased it before I bought my Cyclone for a much lighter trailer so I don't have a comparison with a heavy unit. My prior 5er was about 10K pounds when I bough this. I went from a Reese slider to the TS3. First trip was a little over a 3K miles round trip to the Florida Keys. Between I95 through NC and SC, then the bridges on through the Keys, I will say the same as what some else said "Night and Day"! Even my wife who was very concerned about spending the $2500 or so for the hitch said she approved.

On my current rig (weighs in at about 17,500 pounds), I can only imagine what the difference would be on the old hitch.

Hensley is a great company to deal with and stands by their products. When I bought mine, they had a deal for their brake controller. You might want to take a look at that too. Costly, but well worth it!

porthole

Retired
Larry - have you found out if you can using existing bed rails or will this require a new set of rails.

I know the PullRite slider hitch rails will not work with a PullRite non slider.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
Duane, I was looking at Hensleys web site and they say hitch will work with existing rails. There is also a 800 number to call.

Mike

Delaine and Lindy

Trailer Saver Air ride....

Larry I have owned two Trailer Savers TS 3 and I now TSLB2H and can't recomend the Trailer Saver enough. I also believer that it will help some of the Frame issues. The Trailer Saver does as the name implies, it will for sure take a lot of stress off the 5th wheel frame. The Trailer Saver head is made by Hensley and without a doubt is the best buy for the money. They also drop shipped my last hitch to the tire shop that does my service on our Trucks and car. I just pick up the phone and less than 5 days it arrived. I haven't ever heard a person complain about a Trailer Saver hitch. They are pricey but so is your 5th wheel. Haven't seen the Trailer Saver slider hitch. The TS 3 will mount in most all bedrails and I used the TS 3 in 3 different GM 3500 HD's. Good Luck with you choice. GBY.....

beasleyrl

Duane/Mike -

The TrailerSaver does use standard rails. I had a Reese slider hitch prior to the TS3 and when I ordered, they asked if I needed the option for the rails. Over course, my answer was yes and it shipped with that option installed. As I recall, there was no charge for this "option".

Roger

porthole

Retired
The thing with the Pullrite slider is that the mount and rails are unique to that hitch. Where with other brands the mount tends to be a bit more universal.

SilverRhino

Air Hitch vs. Air Pin Box

I've also been considering adding some type of "air" between my truck and trailer.

Thought that I would probably be going with a pin box change......now I am wondering if it wouldn't be more effective to have the "air" at the hitch.

Is there a big difference other than cost??

beasleyrl

There is a big difference. FifthAirborne for my PIN box was about $800 (plus install if you can't do it). The Hensley hitch was about $2500 (no installation required as it fit directly into the Reese rails). The question is how often do you trade? I actually traded my prior rig about 3 months after I bought the TrailerSaver. If I had bought the FifthAirborne, I would have had to buy 2 already.

Another thing to consider. Do you use a king pin stabilizer? If so, I would expect the pin box change would make it useless. With the air in the hitch, you keep a fixed pin so you can continue to use the stabilizer.

Roger

lwmcguir

There is some data on the forums with one Camper that has the Air Hitch on the TV and the pin box. That is the way we are going when we upgrade. I don't see how you could go wrong with that set up.

Larryheadhunter

I already have a Mor/Ryde Pin Box so that's cool. Anyway, the Hensley rep said it would be nice to have either the BD3 (removable in 2 pieces from the truck bed or the TS3 with various type of really kool sliders they have. He also informed me since I have the pullrite rails, not the universal rails they would need to be changed out.

If I sell the excellent Pullrite 18k auto slider, it would be nice to include the rails. His comment was also quite interesting that the double air bags in the Trailer Saver Hitch combined with the Mor/Rype hitch pin box, would be awesome, but didn't recommend air bags for the hitch pin cushion, as the trailer saver air bags are very sensitive, in order to keep the balance, so the fiberglass rings in the Mor/Ryde would be a better fit.

Gosh oh golly, thanks for all the support on this choice. Frankly, CW charged over $2500 for the 18K Pullrite hitch I have now. Interesting to see how much I can recoup on that investment which up to now was well worth it. My back is so bad, I really need the best and smoothest ride. I am still investigating getting air ride seats in the truck as well or going to Deaver Mfg. (100 yr old co. in So Cal who adjusts the TT suspension to fit your needs).

LOL Someone is going to have to adopt me to afford all this extra stuff I need to continue RVing but I am going anyway, rain or shine.

Larry , the difference in the way your trailer feels when you are towing with an Air Ride hitch and a Static hitch are night and day. The added expense for the Trailsaver is worth every dime. Less wear and tear to every part of your set up, easier on your truck, trailer, and the contents of both, but mostly easier on your already aching back. If you want the ultimate in comfort, get a Moryde pin box. The Moryde takes care of the Chucking back and forth, the Trailsaver takes care of the up and down..Good Luck ...Scott

Larryheadhunter

Duane, where do I go to check out air ride driver seats for my Ford F-250 Super Duty Dual Cab? And how much to install? I just put my pullrite 18K up for sale and going to buy a trailsaver BD3 hitch. With the Mor/Ryde Hitch Pin cushion and an air ride seat should be quite comfortable.

SilverRhino

Larry;

Would be interested in what you find. I would like to add the air seats to my Dodge, or at least up-grade them.

Problem I have run into, is that my seats have the integrated shoulder/seat belt. That eliminates everything I have been able to find.

Randy

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Duane, where do I go to check out air ride driver seats for my Ford F-250 Super Duty Dual Cab? And how much to install? I just put my pullrite 18K up for sale and going to buy a trailsaver BD3 hitch. With the Mor/Ryde Hitch Pin cushion and an air ride seat should be quite comfortable.

Well, Larry have you tried Google for "air ride pickup truck seats" ? Here is a couple places I found in less than a minute...many more...

http://www.suburbanseats.com/c-air_ride.aspx?catid=42

http://www.industrialseats.com/category.asp?categoryID=23

http://www.buytruckstuff.com/product.asp?p_gpID=168

porthole

Retired

I see the "where" has already been answered. As to the How/install. I don't see anything there that any one with some mechanical skill couldn't install the seat base. Or not more then 2-3 hours labor at a shop.
That is assuming 1 hour for a seat base change 1-2 hours to install the compressor and tank.