Best Verizon 3G Modem

5erWonk

Does anyone have an opinion which Verizon 3G modem I should buy especially if I plan to use it with Cradlepoint?

Any differences? Any more compatible than others?

This will eventually be used in our home which will have no broadband cable capabilities.

DW_Gray

Well I can't answer your question but so far I haven't needed to go that route while on the road. So far I primarily stay at RV camps that have WiFi.

I installed my big computer (Dell XP 710) in the Cyclone's garage. Then I connected an external antenna to the ladder with a cable to my wireless card in the computer. A few times when I stayed at a Wal-Mart parking lot I was able to connect to motels nearby. I've been getting connection and speed just as good as home cable/DSL.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Verizon 727 air card with a Cradlepoint MBR1000. I like it. But to have all of your questions answered, talk to Alex at The 3G Store.

Peace
Dave

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I also use the Verizon 727 aircard and the Cradlepoint MBR 1000 and have had very good results with it.

It may take until tomorrow for Alex to respond.

Niles

We just purchased the MIFI, it will connect 5 wireless at once and is it ever fast. If you want to be real secure just plug it into your computer. I'm sure Alex can and will answer all questions. I forgot to say that you don't need all that other stuff to connect the computers, just as long as they are wireless. The MIFI is about the size of a credit card just set it on the desk and start working.

Last edited:

Mikemm62

Mike & Suzanne
I also use the mifi card and you can connect up too 5 items...has good range ,, and connectivity ,, good luck

Mike

jbeletti

Bob,

I use the Novatel USB760 on Verizon. Got it from the 3GStore. Works great with the Cradlepoint routers. I also plug it directly into my Mac a lot of the time - when I don't need to share my network with my wife when she is not traveling with me.

Jim

netters1

I have the Novatel USB760 with the Cradlepoint MBR1000 and it works great! I just ordered the extender antenna that will sit up or suction to your window and have only used it once but seems to help. Good Luck with your purchase!! :D:D

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I use the USB 760 also..

However do not... Repeat do not go to the local Verizon store and get your equipment. As stated above, contact Alex at the 3GStore.com. He can tell you the best available system to use.

I use the 760 with the Cradlepoint 1000 as well as some other accessories. Alex is a good source on this forum and some others. I have enough equipment to get a signal almost anywhere one is available.

Again. Contact Alex at the 3GStore.com

BC

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
Alex at the 3G Store...where are you?

LOL! sorry... as a cowboys fan who has waited over a dozen years for a playoff win, i decided this past weekend was going to be mostly work-free.

as for answering the question, here's a great article:

http://evdoinfo.com/tip20
Which EVDO Device is Best for Cradlepoint Routers (BRAGS)?

if it were my decision and money were not an issue, i'd get the Sierra Wireless USB 598 (that is NOT offered directly from verizon).

if money is more of a priority than long-term versatility, then get the USB760 that verizon offers.

hope the cowboys can handle old man favre ;)

Rmcgrath53

We just purchased the MIFI, it will connect 5 wireless at once and is it ever fast. If you want to be real secure just plug it into your computer. I'm sure Alex can and will answer all questions. I forgot to say that you don't need all that other stuff to connect the computers, just as long as they are wireless. The MIFI is about the size of a credit card just set it on the desk and start working.

We have the same one. It was 50.00 with a 50.00 rebate. I have an old verizon unlimmited time plan and upgrade my usb device with this mifi 5 computer device. It works anywhere in my house and on the road. I like it alot.

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Alex. I have been watching the adds on TV and Sprint is talking about a 4G modem. Is it any good and is Verizon going to start going to it also?

Can I get a 4G modem with Sprint without changing my present contract with Sprint?

BC

5erWonk

Thanks for the comments....

Alex, is there any advantage to have modems that support Global Access? Unfortunately all that do support global at Verizon are not Mac compatible.

If we were only using this in the BH I would strongly consider the MIFI, but since we want to put it in our house I don't think the MIFI has the range, what kind of range have people experienced?

AlexSian

Alex. I have been watching the adds on TV and Sprint is talking about a 4G modem. Is it any good and is Verizon going to start going to it also?
Can I get a 4G modem with Sprint without changing my present contract with Sprint?
too early to tell if sprint's new overdrive is any good. i'll let you know.
at this time, you can't convert an existing sprint 3g service to a 4g service without a new commitment to another 2yr contract. i'll keep you posted.

AlexSian

Alex, is there any advantage to have modems that support Global Access? Unfortunately all that do support global at Verizon are not Mac compatible.

If we were only using this in the BH I would strongly consider the MIFI, but since we want to put it in our house I don't think the MIFI has the range, what kind of range have people experienced?
verizon's "global support" modems are _only_ for those people who want one device that works primarily in the united states, but allows for (expensive) international use.

the "global" support has nothing to do with any planned 4G/LTE network and does no good for people who only need service in USA.

Rmcgrath53

WE use the mifi card from verizon. I have a 1700 sguare foot ranch spread out. We have 3 computers hooked to it most of the time. I have coverage all over the house and basement. Two lap tops and one desk top with no problems. I like it for it is the size of a credit card and you can take it anywhere with you and the battery will last a long time.( about 4 hours or more) Also your friends can hook up to it also if you give them the code.

5erWonk

Very impressed with the Verizon 3G service....DW was connected while driving through some fairly remote areas of N. CA and OR along I-5. Only dropped connection once just south of Eugene.

Looking at my Iphone I had no 3G signal through most of the remote areas while the Verizon 3G had a strong signal.

Finally disconnected from Comcast Cable!!!!