Remote start on a diesel

Peteandsharon

Hey guys,

I just had a Viper remote starter installed on my wife's car. One of the features of the Viper is that you can set the engine turnoff on a timer. Turn the key off and walk away. The engine will then shut down after a preset time. Good idea for a turbo. Having said that, has anyone ever found a remote starter for a diesel? If so, how do you get around the glow plug preheat issue? I've always thought that you really couldn't have a remote starter for a diesel because of the need to preheat the plug. But with today's technology, I guess anything is possible.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hey guys,

I just had a Viper remote starter installed on my wife's car. One of the features of the Viper is that you can set the engine turnoff on a timer. Turn the key off and walk away. The engine will then shut down after a preset time. Good idea for a turbo. Having said that, has anyone ever found a remote starter for a diesel? If so, how do you get around the glow plug preheat issue? I've always thought that you really couldn't have a remote starter for a diesel because of the need to preheat the plug. But with today's technology, I guess anything is possible.

Mine was installed OEM as an option. The glow plug delay is short, even using the key in the ignition. It keeps the doors locked, steering and controls locked out, and shuts itself off after 10 minutes. To override, you need to unlock the doors, insert the key and turn it to RUN before it turns itself off. You can preset the climate control to AUTO and it will distribute heat inside.

2010augusta

A friend of mine had one on his 97ish F-350 PSD, don't know what brand it was, but they do exist...they do exist.

sunflower

Had one on my 99 ford f250 power stroke.It did a timed start set,a cold temp. start[if temperatures got to a set degree it started ]timed and or temp. shut down,and a high speed idle.It started with or without glow plugs depending upon temp.Don't remember the make but was awesome.

Peteandsharon

I guess one other consideration is the fact that the new diesel with the diesel particulate filter does not particularly like to idle. In fact, letting the diesel spend too much time idling tends to dirty up the filter much more than running at normal RPM's. So I guess you'd have to balance the benifits of warming up the engine with the downside of mucking up the DPF. Probably not as clear cut as the benefits on a gas engine.

Riverman

Had one installed on our Cummins. Works great...even in -35C as we had last week. It waits on the preheat to start & has the turbo cooldown function for shutdown. Claims to have a 2 mile range.

truknutt

Committed Member
I have the factory remote unit on my '09 450. I don't have to let it idle that long 'cause the truck seems to heat up the interior very quickly...as compared to the '03 diesel I have that seems to take forever!!

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
My 2008 2500 HD also has the remote start like JohnDar's. Only about one second delay. Two years and no problems whatsoever

HookMeUp

Had one installed on our Cummins. Works great...even in -35C as we had last week. It waits on the preheat to start & has the turbo cooldown function for shutdown. Claims to have a 2 mile range.

Do you recall which brand/model you had installed?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have the Clifford Remote Start and Alarm on my 2006 F250.
Clifford Alarm and Remote Start

I can have it turn off after a set time when I turn off the ignition. I can leave it running or remotely start it with the keys removed a number of times up to one hour.

We got it so we can leave our dog in the truck while we went in to eat or what ever. We went into a museum and theater and left our dog in the truck when it would have been to hot for him to be in it not running.

Another reason, in Texas it is against the law to leave a vehicle running with the keys still in it. This addresses both problems.

I like to start the truck and when I get to it, it is ready to roll. It also will startle someone that might be standing next to it.

Now I know a lot of people have voiced their points of view about leaving the diesel running. I have not had any problems with my F250 6.0 and I still leave it running when ever we leave the dog in the truck.

I do however every year take the truck to the garage and have them go through it to keep it in good shape. I also have a 200,000 mile warranty on it and the mileage is now 90,000 + miles.

I really like the remote start and alarm. Wouldn't want to do with out it.

I know many will dissagree, but that is what we do..
BC

PS: The delay on my remote start is about 6-8 sec.

wyleyrabbit

My truck has that feature, but it came that way from GM. It is nice on hot days, because it tuns on the A/C, and on cold days, the heat and the heated seats. :D

CrazyScotsman

I have the Viper remote start on my 05 F350. In the warmer weather it is OK, but in colder weather it may take 3 or 4 times to start, so in cold weather 35F and below I don't even try to use it, I just walk out put key in, wait till glow plug light goes off, then start it.
At home I don't use it because the truck is in the garage anyway, so I still have to walk down to garage to open door before I start the truck.
I think they are better on a gasser than a diesel.
JMHO

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
I had an Auto Start brand installed in my 05 chev 2500 duramax. It waits 7 seconds and then fires it up which is lots of time for the glow plugs to heat up. It has a shutdown feature that will let the motor run for 60 sec to cool the turbo down. I can set it so that it will start every 2 hrs on real cold days and run for 20 min then shut down and start again in 2 hrs. It has auto locks when no key in the ign. My locks work on the 1 remote. It has worked flawlessly for me so far this year and it has been friggin COOOOOLD up here in Ontario. Check it out.

Rick

SilverRhino

Great Products & Even Greater Service

A few years ago, I installed a Code-Alarm on my Dodge Cummins. The alarm system had the remote start and delay shut down modes built in. The delay shut down was the big factor for me......anything you do to get turbo temps down before you shut it off will save you big bucks in the long run.

I purchased mine from http://autoalarmpro.com/ ......this is by far one of the best companies I have ever dealt with. Called three or four times before I made my decision and they were extremely helpful. They supply everything you need for an easy install.

At the time I did mine, a neighbor went to a local shop and had an alarm system installed on his truck......he had nothing but trouble and could not find anyone that could help him. I called Auto Alarm Pron......talked to them about his issue.....had it solved in fifteen minutes.....and.....the alarm system was not even one they sold!!

Dave012

If so, how do you get around the glow plug preheat issue? I've always thought that you really couldn't have a remote starter for a diesel because of the need to preheat the plug.

I had Ford this put on my F-350 recently. The set a 30 second delay to allow enough time for the glow plugs to heat.

Peteandsharon

Thanks for all the responses. It got me looking into it a little more. Turns out that Ford has an OEM version of remote starters as some of you already know. Also, all of the standard remote starters such as Viper, Python, Autopage etc. can be made to be used on a diesel just by setting a delay before starting.

I like the idea, especially for the delayed turnoff feature. However, I will need to research my concerns some more. My sense of these new diesels with DPF's is that they are great for what they have been designed to do (clean and powerful diesel power) but...... they are a different animal than your dad's diesel. And constantly letting them idle while it warms up............ well I dunno!! Not convinced yet that this is a good idea.

Thanks again, guys,

Pete

SilverRhino

I fully agree...long periods of idling are not recommended.

I will use my remote start as I walk out the door. By the time I pick up the paper and get in the truck, oil pressure has settled and everything is ready to go.

When I use the delay shut down, I have found that it usually takes only a minute for my turbo temp to come down to 300 degrees. So, by the time I have walked part way to the door I shut it down. I never let it idle for the full amount of time.

Another option you might be interested in, is a delayed shut down that is based on turbo temp, not time. Check out Genos Garage, they handle parts and accessories for the Big Three.

Good Luck!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks for all the responses. It got me looking into it a little more. Turns out that Ford has an OEM version of remote starters as some of you already know. Also, all of the standard remote starters such as Viper, Python, Autopage etc. can be made to be used on a diesel just by setting a delay before starting.

I like the idea, especially for the delayed turnoff feature. However, I will need to research my concerns some more. My sense of these new diesels with DPF's is that they are great for what they have been designed to do (clean and powerful diesel power) but...... they are a different animal than your dad's diesel. And constantly letting them idle while it warms up............ well I dunno!! Not convinced yet that this is a good idea.

Thanks again, guys,

Pete

I don't think anybody let's them constantly idle because they have a remote starter. If it's a cold morning, you use the remote, maybe. No where to go, no need to fire it up. The only time I use mine is if there's snow on the hood and ice on the windshield. If not, I start it up the old fashioned way, turn on the heated seat and drive off. With the GM remote, you can only run it remote twice before you have to go out and stick the key in it.

I've used my remote when needed since I got the truck last January. The DPF doesn't seem to care.

Mikemm62

Mike & Suzanne
I have the Viper remote start on my 05 F350. In the warmer weather it is OK, but in colder weather it may take 3 or 4 times to start, so in cold weather 35F and below I don't even try to use it, I just walk out put key in, wait till glow plug light goes off, then start it.
At home I don't use it because the truck is in the garage anyway, so I still have to walk down to garage to open door before I start the truck.
I think they are better on a gasser than a diesel.
JMHO
I also have a Viper on myF250 and it works great, I can have it start if temp reaches 10* also can have it start at preset intervals, it has a delay for glow plugs.. I really like mine.. can leave it run at store with a push of a button, a lot of options I don't know how to use yet. Good Luck

Mike