Starting to change my mind on Heartland

Fredtp

When I first started looking for a 5th wheel, Big Horn was my choice. But let me tell ya since reading this forum it seems like Heartland is going down hill. I hear stuff on other forums about other SOB's but it does not seem as bad as it is getting with Heartland products. I may be wrong but that is just what I am getting since I started reading this forum. Used to it was "Heartland customer service is great", but does not seem that way now.

RoadJunkie

You certainly have to make the decision that is right for you. Good luck with any model you end up choosing.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Keep in mind that this is the place owners come for help, trouble shooting, etc. Seldom do we post that "my rig is great and so is HL".
That said, mine is two years old, has nothing wrong with it and my cosmetic issues discovered during PDI were all fixed under warranty, as was my minor list at the end of my warranty period. None of my issues had to do with HL construction, and were all third party items. HL fixed them all. Nothing broke, nothing blew up.
Just the other side of the coin.

SilverRhino

Remember the Squeeky Wheel Phenom

It's too bad you feel that way. I believe that there are a lot more satisfied HL customers than those with problems.

Yes, HL has problems, but it's usually the people that are upset that you hear from. We have had issues with our 2010 Big Country and received excellent and prompt service from Heartland and their suppliers.

Just my observation.

Good luck in your decision and I hope that you enjoy whatever product you finally purchase.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Welcome to the forum Fred. While I cannot dispute what you have read please remember that this forum only represents a small percentage of owners. Also remember that most people that do not have any problems usually do not say anything or write anything hence the reason you seem to be reading many negative remarks. I could tell you of my personal, well dealt with issues but they are already documented up here somewhere. I would like to encourage you to continue to look around here and see that there are more positive than negative threads. Heartland is one of the stongest companies out there and seem to know how to run a business in these hard times. I expect that others will chime in to let you know their opinions.

Good luck,
Mark

currituck0209

I have had my North Trail 28 RLS for approx. 1 year, I have not had any problems of any sort. I am very satisified with the heartland product.My next RV will also be a Heartland.

grizzlygiant

We are living full-time in our second Heartland and when (if) the time comes, we will go for a third. A few minor cosmetic problems were promptly taken care of by Heartland and the usual third party problems likewise have been promptly corrected. I have had several SOB's and have found Heartland to offer the most for the money.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Along with what mrcomer said, you also have to to remember to take each one of the "I have a serious problem" posts with a grain of salt.

What is serious to me, might be nothing more than adjustment to someone else.

I remember a post that was titled Serious rust issue or something like that. Well, as it turned out it was the underbelly screws. Not that serious and certainly not even a problem.

I am by no means belittling any thread though. As I pointed out, what is serious to some is nothing to others.

There are a few threads here that do scream for attention though. Larryheadhunter has a good one going. Knowing him through the forum and pm's though, I know his intention is not to knock HL but rather educate everyone here. However each of us chooses to use the info in his thread or any other is up to us.

With that said, if you choose to take ALL these posts at face value, then go ahead and run like you what . If you get to know the people who post them and then interpret the posts with the poster in mind, you might find out that the posts aren't so much critical as they are for either giving or recieving information.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Fredtp, just so you know, there are over 7,000 members and over 12,000 threads. I agree with others above, that not everyone is happy, but I think that looking at the numbers, my opinion would be that overall Heartland would be my number one choice. That is my personal opinion and others might disagree.

I have and continue to read the other brand forums and I am still glad I chose Heartland.

Just my two cents.

Good luck on what ever you choose.

Oh, and one thing I don't remember seeing on the other forums are the responses from the factory.

Peace
Dave

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Funny, as I was typing my reply thinking I would be the first to help Fredtp three others got theirs in before me. What a great buch of people we have here. Fredtp I hope all of this helps you.

Mark

rick_debbie_gallant

To Fredtp:

I have had a few issues with my rig and Heartland has stepped up and taken care of them. I still have a few things needing addressing, that Heartland has already approved. I am just waiting for things to warm up so that the technician who is taking others with more serious problems get taken care of.

Would I purchase another Heartland? You bet I will.:)

We fulltime in a 2008 BC3250TS. It has never been back to the dealer
for any problems. There has been a few problems but I have fixed them
myself. Nothing more than some squeaky floors and drawer under refrig

broke...
<TABLE style="MARGIN: 6px 0px" id=post102567 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal" class=thead>Forum: Around the Campfire //heartlandowners.org/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 3 Weeks Ago </TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1>Replies: 22
//heartlandowners.org/images/statusicon/thread_hot.gif Unusual names
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

bill40

Sorry Fred I am also on many other fourms and the problems are just as they are here. The difference I see is that HL gets things fixed in most cases. Have over 12000 miles on mine and they have taken good care of it and I think it has held up very well for some of the places I have tried to put it and the roads we have traveled. We have been from 10 degrees to 126 and no freeze ups and we stayed cool. You can chalk it up to luck or maybe something was done right. Good luck looking

ralphpam

We love our Bighorn - great rig! Heartland is taking care of our issues. We have had motorhomes before and they too had problems. In our research Heartland came out on top and that is why we now own one!!!

truknutt

Committed Member
Fred,

Each of us had to make the decision to go Heartland at least once so we all understand your concerns. If I may, I'd like to give you my take on the decision to GO HEARTLAND! Too subtle?

Seriously, some, if not most, of the problems you have read about are basic nit-noid items that we have all suffered through after taking delivery; hence this forum full of its information from both owners and the factory. Some problems are more serious such as frames and suspensions.

I'll tell you that 4 years ago we moved into a brand new home (we had it built) and did we have some problems. Lighting that didn't work, doors that weren't square or plumb..(is that the correct terminology) so they needed to be shimmed so the door lock & deadbolt could be used. Central Air leaked refrigerant after the first year. Parts on the propane fireplace have been repaired/replaced enough that I should have 2 complete units in the house instead of just the one. Bottom line: the Contractor ensured that all the problems have been corrected to my satisfaction.

I have 4 Ford trucks (Quality is Job #1!) and I know that I had to take each of them back at least one time for some little stinking item that I believed should be 100% and again the bottom line: each were corrected to my satisfaction.

I guess my point is that we buy brand new items and expect them to be 100% out of the box, forever, everytime. I'm a realist so I know this is a fantasy. Any manufacturer using outside suppliers is at their mercy and to so is the consumer.

After years of researching comparable toyhaulers, I found that they all used nearly if not identical components (reefers, stoves, m/w, water heaters, furnaces, etc.). The differences were the interior craftsmanship, interior design and after finding this forum, the customer satisfaction percentage. Remember I'm a realist so I hung out on rv.net and listened to Keystone owners, K-Z owners, Fleetwood owners all bash their equipment, their dealers and their manufactures for poor after sale service. I played the percentages and I think I did okay, if not darn well.

BTW did I mention that the Cyclone I first ordered arrived with no exterior door to the garage? "Unacceptable" said I and after just 1 phonecall from dealer to factory I received what I had ordered; an entirely new Cyclone!

Ask me if I'm satisfied! :p;):p

caissiel

I checked SOB forums and there are hardly anyone there on line. The site here is read by HL reps all the time. I am proud to be on this forum and be able to assist in some way other owners or prospect owners. Our discussions are looked at as there have been some modifications done on newer machines that came from result of our discussion.

Last edited:

Jellystone

We are very pleased with our Heartland Road Warrior 5th wheel. Before I ever bought it I called Mike A. (Heartland's Toy Hauler Guru) and he answered all my questions right there on the phone. He did the same for me even after the sale once when I called him. Personal service from the "big dogs" means a lot to me. No problems on the unit so far in it's first 6 months. Heartland does care about it's customers and tries to put out quality units for the dollar amount spent by the customer.

caissiel

When we were dealing with the dealer on our new unit, I hit this forum and spend the whole night reading everything about these units. Like any other forum there are mostly discussions about problems but there are many other satisfied customers that go unheard also. When I first got into the GM diesel site it was noting but grief about the engines, I kept mine going for 9 years without any problem because I heard all the possible problems and prevented them. Its better to be with the one you know then with the one you don't.

Hunter11

We are currently the owners of a SOB built buy a manufacture that has a very good reputation for taking care of their customers and they do. I like to really research things we buy and from what I have seen so far I would consider Heartland as good as the manufacture we own for taking care of their customers issues. We have now put a couple of the Big Country floor plans at the top of our list since we are thinking about purchasing a new trailer. I tend to try and look for major issues that manufactures have had with their units and it would appear right now Lippert seems to be the biggest problem. It looks like the majority of the companies using their frames have had some sort of problem with them. Sad to say but I guess something bad is going to have to happen before they take action.

We are down to about 3 or 4 manufactures that we are really looking at and as I said Heartland is one of them because I feel if we buy one of their units and have issues we will be taken care of. The only thing I wish they would offer is a 2 year warranty like the others on our list have.

Last edited: