Heartland Sued by Forest River-again

wyleyrabbit

Wow. I had no idea someone could copyright a floorplan. Next we'll read that one truck company is suing another based on the layout of the instrumentation panel and seats. Sheesh.

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out.

CrazyScotsman

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to come up with a floorplan similar to the competitors There is only so much you can design into a rectanguar box on wheels. Eventually it will look like some other manufacturers design.
JMHO

caissiel

I saw a new Montana the other month and it was just like mine on the outside and the HL lower front storage was also used, and also saw the new Forest River Cedar Creak brochure and they also have the lower storage fronts. SO WHO WAS 1ST????????. I think they are all lippert framed units.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Think about it.

We all use the same refer, heater, couches, chairs, sinks, wheels, axles, tires, water, sewer and gray tanks, AC, power cords, steps, doors, lights, carpet, pin boxes, tail lignts, marker lights, paint, graphics, beds, sinks, faucets, toilets, stove, shower and so on.

What is left.. arranging them in a fashion that people can use.

Only a few ways to arrange a living room, bed room, kitchen, toilet room, shower.

Maybe if FR would make a trailer that had no doors they would have the only trailer that no one would want to worry about copying...

BC

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Bob, Forest River already makes a whole lot of trailers that I don't want to buy.

Jellystone

Every time we go camping, the campgrounds are loaded w/Forest River units. Keystone is no slouch either in the markets down here. But Heartland has been creeping in quietly with more & more units all the time. You don't think that FR is getting nervous do you?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had a Wildcat and traded it in on my BH... Wouldn't go back...

However I do like the Teton and Nawa... Guess not they have gone out of business..

Yes Nuwa is still making trailers but they closed down and restarted with a few of the models. Heavy buggers..

BC

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
If you go on FR main site you get an idea of how big this company really is. HL, on the other hand appears to be a small player based their website. However, HL must be putting a dent in FR bottom line to have filed suit against them 3 times.

At first look the floorplans look similar between the two models, but as Ken said, you can only do so much in a rectangular box. I am sure HL considered the suit possibilty prior to introducing this model.

I would imagine they have their ducks in a row and were prepared for this.

SilverRhino

Abuse of the System

This is ridiculous! No wonder the courts are backed up.

The only people that come out ahead in these matters, are the lawyers that come up with these law suits.

Okay, that said, all lawyers are not "ambulance chasers", most are very professional. ( Have two in the immediate family that complain about the image the majority receive based on the few! )

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am curious. If this is the third suit against HL, what was the out come of the previous suits. If HL won it would seem that FR would a bit gun shy about doing it again. If FR won it would give them insentives to continue files suits.

I had a neighbor file suit against us. When the judge ruled in my favor and had them pay the court cost he left me alone.

BC

wyleyrabbit

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the RP-176 mentioned in the case is a little tiny 18 foot travel trailer. Is that right? Unless I am missing something, I don't see anything on Heartland's website that even resembles the RP-176 named in the suit.

2010augusta

It is over the new Heartland MPG.
Heartland%20MPG%20exterior.jpg

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
There's only so many ways you could lay out the interior of that sized unit. Of course they are going to be very similar.

CrazyScotsman

HL could have put the a/c through the back window, then put dinette outside, so when set up as a bed you could sleep under the stars, that way shower not next to table, and stove would be beside shower, keep you warm on these cold mornings when you hop out the shower.

caissiel

It looks like HL used a layout diagram and not and not necessarily a finished model, I to never saw any MPG layout similar, It seam to me that all HL's Layout are better to my opinion. It pays to be last sometimes.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Sounds like Forest River is trying to anything to slow down HL growth. I wonder if they are in cahoots with other RV manufacturers in the same boat, rowing upstream against HL.