Toilet not holding water

rowdy ace

toilets

anybody having problems with their toilet leaking water, seal not holding. Ours has been repaired so many times.

Tom of Ypsi

Rowdy Ace,
Once in awhile there is no water but a small flush and it holds water until next use. Do not know why it sometiime looses water but I am not going to worry about it until it happens everytime.

jpmorgan37

I may have the solution. I have messed with the seal, rotated the seal, greased the seal and replaced the seal. It would last for a few weeks (of constant use) and then start loosing water again. This last time I replaced the ball valve and the seal. The ball valve is slightly larger and now goes well past the edge of the seal. So far, it seems to be working. My suspicion is that the ball valve was redesigned after we took delivery of our units.

John

nhunter

JPMorgan, you win the prize. Ours was like that right from the start and I replaced the seal twice. It looked like the ball was catching the seal the the back and pulling it down. I lubed, realigned and messed around for 2 months. Just got it back from the dealer and they replaced the seal and the spring assembly. Now it works like a charm. The dealer said that design has been a pain for taking out seals.

Uncle Rog

I have to laugh the can is just about the only thing I havn't had to mess with yet.............kiss of death?

jpmorgan37

:eek: Uncle Rog;

Didn't you ever hear the expression, let a sleeping dog lie? Never brag about a good thing.:D

John

Wild Wind

We solved the problem by trashiing the Sealand and getting the new model comfort height Thetford china bowl toilets. A world of difference, we have never had a problem with a Thetford RV toilet in over 30 years.

jpmorgan37

In defense of Dometic, I have had them in three fifth wheels and never had a problem before this one. If you read my post from a week ago, I solved the problem without having to replace the toilet. Sometimes, there are manufacturing problems and I have found that Dometic has always been extremely helpful in solving them.

nhunter

I also like our Dometic and now that the ball has been changed we have had no problems for a month. Every manufacturing company has is problems and that was a simple fix

Wild Wind

JP, Dometic does make good air conditioners and refrigerators, but their toilets stink! There is no comparsion between the Thetford and Sealand toilet, engineering wise, comfort, or flushing action. Just like playing baseball 3 strikes and your out. There are too many other things to repair and keep fixing on our Bighorn let alone wasting my time fixing a crapy toilet.
Speaking of baseball, how about those Tigers!

ChopperBill

Going to have to agree with WW on this one. We have a CHEAP plastic Thetford in the truck camper and it flushes a lot better than the Dometic. As long as I am bashing Dometic. ;) The NorCold fridge in our truck camper is a much better unit than the one in the Bighorn. The TC fridge is only a 6 footer and seems to have more room than the 8 foot Dometic. The reason we took the standard 8 foot fridge in the BH is because Renee said the NorCold was big enough. When she found out you cant put ice trays length ways in the Dometic (you can in the 6 foot NorCold) and large bottles don't fit as well we wished we would have spent the bucks for the 10 foot fridge.

phranc

"but their toilets stink!" Wild Wind . use some toilet chemicals.. May help..
( a little tongue-in-cheek)