Rear Hitch

We are in the purchase process of a 2010 BH3610RE. I was told by the dealer that Heartland does not offer a rear Hitch. If that is the case, Why? I like to put the bike rack there. I know one can be mfged to put on.

Thanks

jimtoo

Hi simplelife,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help if needed.

Lippert is the frame builder and does not recommend installing a hitch or any modification to the frame as it will void the warranty. There are a lot of folks that have installed the hitches with no problems, but it is your decision.

I'm sure some more will give their comments also.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We are in the purchase process of a 2010 BH3610RE. I was told by the dealer that Heartland does not offer a rear Hitch. If that is the case, Why? I like to put the bike rack there. I know one can be mfged to put on.

Thanks

You may want to try a search for bike racks or rear hitches. This has been talked about a lot on this forum.

Good luck,

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know why it is not available from Heartland, but there are things that you can do, or have done. Be aware that any mods of this type could void your frame warranty. I have a rear generator mount that I copied from member jnphobe, and a front pin box bike rack mount that I copied from member Terry H. So things can be done.

Peace
Dave

caissiel

I saw a rear bike rack unit available on the Lippert frame units. I saw it on Lippert site. It a telescopic extension and bumper behind the bike supports, It can be bolted on the frame like the spare tire carrier. I am looking it might be available from SOB

boatdoc

The Big Horns here in Quartzite, the 11's, have the tabs on the back portion of each frame member for the 2" recievers. I think it's an option now and was told it is nothing more than two plates welded on the rear frame members. The frames have not been changed to accomadate these new plates so Lippert must have changed their stance on rear racks, imagine that!!!

palebluedot

I started a thread about this very issue a couple weeks ago in the "camping products" section. I have considered all the alternatives and have decided that the rear bicycle rack is the way I want to go. Now I just have to find a welder to fab me one up. The Swagman XC 2 is the rack I plan on using as soon as the hitch receiver is installed. As for warranty, if about 70 lbs. of weight is going to damage the frame, we are all in big trouble.

caissiel

I was searching for bike racks and realized that the Heartland Caliber trailer model has a slider bumper /bike rack as optional listed in the brochure. Now this New trailer model is not on the Heartland RV website. Just search for "Heartland Caliber "

Delaine and Lindy

Rear Hitch....

We have a rear hitch and it came from the Factory. Its offered as a option. And we really use ours. Its a 2" receiver and is welded to the frame and its a Lippert frame I will look here but I believe there is a Heartland RV here that has a rear receiver hitch. Good Luck with your research. GBY....

rvn4fun

Dealer hitch

I asked the Heartland dealer, where we purchased our 2011 Big Country if he would install a hitch on it, I was kind of surprised, when he said yes. He stated that they do it all the time. I never asked him about warranty or anything. We normally pull triple with a boat behind our fiver, have did it with our last 3 campers, but after reading about all the frame, suspension and tire problems with these units, we won't be installing a hitch, until we are out of warranty! Just in case.

jbeletti

UPDATE:

I "believe" we are now offering a 1-1/4" receiver on Landmark and Bighorn now - as an option, to be used for a bike rack only. This does not help anyone here that wants to tow with their RV but for those in need of a simple bike rack hitch point - it could help.

I'll try to get more detail on this from Coley tomorrow and post details back here.

Jim

caissiel

I was pulling a Miata behind the previous unit. But I got a flat tire and ruined the fender on the car and the trailer. The damage was more then the gas it takes to travel return to florida, while the car is driven by the wife. So now she drives behind me and keep an eye on my tail and helps me to change lanes. Now I ride with much more assurance.
With a boat thats a different story though.

caissiel

I am very surprised at the amount of ideas that HL is listening to. We are here to help and it surely goes on, as improvements by the company.
Its better that it be an option than someone put an unsafe unit.

2010augusta

I was pulling a Miata behind the previous unit. But I got a flat tire and ruined the fender on the car and the trailer. The damage was more then the gas it takes to travel return to florida, while the car is driven by the wife. So now she drives behind me and keep an eye on my tail and helps me to change lanes. Now I ride with much more assurance.
With a boat thats a different story though.

Wife does the same for me in her Jeep. That is how we got the picture in my sig.

rick_debbie_gallant

UPDATE:

I "believe" we are now offering a 1-1/4" receiver on Landmark and Bighorn now - as an option, to be used for a bike rack only. This does not help anyone here that wants to tow with their RV but for those in need of a simple bike rack hitch point - it could help.

I'll try to get more detail on this from Coley tomorrow and post details back here.

Jim

Jim:

When you check will you see if it can be retrofitted to a 2010 3670rl without affecting the warrenty?

Thank you

jbeletti

Jim:

When you check will you see if it can be retrofitted to a 2010 3670rl without affecting the warrenty?

Thank you

Sorry Rick - that's a Lippert question with regard to warranty on their frame. I am not checking with them, I'm asking Coley here at the show in the morning about the receiver as an option. He would not know about Lippert's warranty stance on a retro-fit.

I will look closely at it do try and determine if what they are putting on, looks retro-fittable. I'll take some pics too.

Jim

rick_debbie_gallant

Sorry Rick - that's a Lippert question with regard to warranty on their frame. I am not checking with them, I'm asking Coley here at the show in the morning about the receiver as an option. He would not know about Lippert's warranty stance on a retro-fit.

I will look closely at it do try and determine if what they are putting on, looks retro-fittable. I'll take some pics too.

Jim

Thanks Jim. You are the man. Keep up the good work trying to keep up with all of our sometimes crazy requests. Thanks again.

jbeletti

Factory Receiver Hitch Option Details (pictures, measurements & price)

Attached are 10 images I took at the Tampa show of the factory receiver hitch option.

Here are the details that I know:

1. Brackets come installed on the frame on Landmark/Bighorn as standard
  2. The receiver hitch is 1-1/4" square
  3. The face of the receiver is about 5" inward of the beginning (lower edge) of the rear cap radius and about 8.5" from the end (upper outside edge) of the rear cap radius (see drawing)
  4. The design is for a bike rack only - not for towing anything
  5. Cost will be "about" $150 (retail cost will vary by dealer)
  6. The option is not yet on the option sheet. If you are ordering a 2011 model year Landmark or Bighorn, ask your dealer to add this to your order if you want it
  7. If you took delivery of a 2011 Landmark or Bighorn that has the brackets and you now wish to add the receiver hitch, contact your dealer or Heartland Customer Service to order one
  8. I measured that the rear tandem electric stabilizer jacks have been moved inward about 22" from 2010 and earlier model year units
  9. We do not sell brackets that can be welded onto your frame for this receiver hitch
I'll update this post with any additional information I may receive down the road.

Jim

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 121
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 114
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 113
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

Wharton

We are interested in the bike rack option. I just measured our bike rack and both of them have a 2" receiver(or whatever it is called). I never heard of a smaller one and was wondering if the 1 1/2" is "unique" to Lippert.

We would only be interested in a 2" one, we are not buying a new rack, 2 is plenty...........