Weight and length ???

dynaguy

Can anyone please advise me concerning whether or not my 2006 Toyota 4runner sport v8 with a listed towing capacity of 7200lbs can handle the 280rs? At the show last week I was told I could but the length just seems too long, Thanks.

2010augusta

Are you asking about the North Trail 28BRS? It has a GVWR of 6,900#, so as long as you stay under that wieght in the trailer you should be okay. There might be some slow going in the Rocky Mountian passes, but you would be within the limits of the 4Runner. You would need a good sway control and a W/D hitch too.

caissiel

If you watch your heat and keep the engine revved to the max torque of around 3000 RPM you will do well. I always thought that as long there is no cross winds the length don't really matter.
Be in return, my neighbor had a 1500 Dodge 4 x 4 pulling a 7400lbs trailer and he felt unsecured and is now pulling it with a F350.

palebluedot

I am assuming that the trailer is 28+ feet long. That is pretty long to be pulling with a 4runner. The reason is the short wheelbase of your Toyota. It is about 110 inches compared to a full size 1/2 ton pickup which is around 145 inches. In my experience, the wheelbase affects the towing stability greatly. Our first camper was a Jayco TT about that same size pulled by a Dodge Dakota Quadcab V8. The WB on it was greater than my wife's 04 4runner and towing over 55 MPH was not comfortable. Of course I had the WD hitch with swaybar. Being passed by an 18 wheeler was white knuckle, especially if you didn't see them coming. After a year with that setup, I went to a 5er and 3500 Dodge Cummins. I would recommend an aux. trans. cooler (if you don't already have one) and do the overdrive lockout when towing in hilly terrain. Check your owners manual for towing instructions. Good luck & happy camping.