Cyclone 3914 or 3950

Hi ... hubby and I are looking at (online only so far) two Cyclone models #3914 and 3950.

Anyone have input to the good/bad/ugly on each? Which do you prefer and why?

We like the closet that slides out in 3914 giving the bed extra room. I like the extra half bath in the 3950 ... hubby doesn't think we need it ... maybe.

I hope that either one has a hookup for washer/dryer unit. THAT would be VERY helpful. I would MUCH rather do 1 load of laundry each day than walking to the campground laundry ... which is what I'm doing now AND the laundry is ONE space away from us!

OK .... please tell us your ideas and experiences. AND is quality control REALLY as bad as it sounds from other owners? That is beginning to worry me ... a lot. Thanks!!

jimtoo

Hi marielw824,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family of owners. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share and help if needed.

I did move your thread to the Cyclone area and I'm sure you will get lots of information from other Cyclone owners and even other Heartland owners.

Enjoy the forum and ask your questions.

Jim M

jimtoo

HELLO,,,, CYCLONE OWNERS!!WAKE UP!!

We have a new member asking questions........ Where are all the Cyclone Lovers.....

robnmo

Sorry, I've been busy and just now got in here and saw this. I think it's a matter of personal choice. For us (just the wife and I) a 1/2 bath just doesn't make alot of sense. We looked at both, but settled on the 3612 (again it was a personal call), the 3612 to us seemed more open in the middle without the island area, and we like the slide out wardrobe and still wanted the 40' length. As for quality? We haven't even got to put ours to the test yet, it's still smells like a brand new unit...........cause it is. :D But from what we're seeing (which we go out and see it daily) ;) the quality is fantastic compared to ones we looked at the last few years. We've looked and shopped them for about 5 yrs now before we decided what brand and model to buy and by far Cyclone wins over the other brands in quality by far. Maybe we'll be dissappointed when we get on the road with it, only time will tell, but for which model..............get the one that fits you both the best. Good luck to ya and enjoy this site, it's great, I've got a list of "to do's" from here.

Honest answer

Like you I looked at a lot of plans online and thought about it for a few months. We looked at a few competitors that are in town and just wasn't that impressed with what we saw. We work out town often and after a lousy hotel stay we stopped on the way home to check out the Cyclones. The interior decor is real nice but it was the cabinetry (mainly the drawer slides) that sold us. I know that there is going to be plumbing leaks from loose fittings, moldings that come loose, etc. All rigs are going to have those kind of problems. Overall I have been happy with our choice except for the water tank problem that the factory refuses to rectify. If you buy one and need to sanitize the tank make sure you fill and drain the tank, as many times as needed, to dilute the sanitizing solution enough to use. I did not know that there was still 20 gallons of water left after draining. That was not fun!

jimtoo

Gheeessseee ,:eek:,, all you folks go to sleep or what.:eek:.???? We got folks asking questions....:D Sell'm a Cyclone........

Jim M

MystrMagic

Magician
Hello and welcome. Like others who responded, I've been busy for a few days and didn't know you were here. I still work for a living... not like a lot of these "rich" retired folks who live full time in their RVs.;)

I too spent months searching and finally made it around to the 3950 and 3914, just like you. Absolutely loved the 3950 layout, particularly the opposing sofa and seat in the living area. Also liked the second 1/2 bath but finally decided on the 3914 for these reasons.

First, my most critical need was a 14' garage (for reasons I won't go into now). Decided I just couldn't live with a 12' garage.

Second, after weeks of carefully reviewing the floorplans, these are the specific features of the 3914 that appealed to me the most.

Probably the most important feature was the dual entry into the bathroom. Think of this: If one of you is ill, and in bed, do you want someone else constantly going through the bedroom to get to the bathroom? Or, wouldn't it be nice if one of you wants to sleep a little later to not be disturbed as much by someone else going into the bathroom or having a shower? (But now that I think about it, the 3950 might have had a sliding door to separate the bedroom too, don't remember for certain. I know the competition's units didn't have this.)

And the REAL stairs leading up to the loft! No comparison to the rickety metal ladders of most models and even the 3950's nice built-in wooden (and attached) ladder. If you haven't had a chance to actually climb the stairs of the 3914 you need to do that. Much safer and more comfortable.

Also definitely liked the three slide out feature compared to the two slide feature.

Both units have hookups for washer/dryer. The 3950 has it in the closet in the bedroom and the 3914 has it underneath the REAL stairs, accessible from the garage. The hookup is plumbed at the factory with its own separate holding tank and dump valve (in the 3914).

I actually bought my 3914 sight unseen. Hadn't even set foot into a real-live unit. Did all my research online and in brochures. So far I've only driven it from the dealer to my home (a little over 1000 miles) and spent two nights in it but I'm very happy with it.

Obviously, you have to find the right match for your needs, the 3914 was right for me.

You didn't say if you have children (I don't). If so, the extra 1/2 bath may be very handy for you. If no kids, and if you have a use for the 14' garage, then perhaps the 3914.

Check your overall weight. I seem to remember the 3914 is a little heavier than the 3950 which means it will reduce your gas/diesel mileage.

Both are excellent units!

Whatever you finally choose, you might want to consider an alarm system. I recommend you check x10.com as they have some great wireless systems for under $100.00 that give you enough sensors for every door and storage compartment, propane tank doors, generator doors, etc. You never know who's lurking around your unit at night when you're sleeping and in case you hadn't already heard, virtually all RV exterior storage compartments share the same key sets so everyone else out there has your keys. (Don't worry about the entry doors, they are unique.)

Hope this is helpful.

PUG

Pug
We bought the 3950 2 1/2 years ago and have loved it. My wife and I do a fair amount of traveling around the country and go to AZ each winter (here now). We mostly travel with just the two of us but have had visitors staying with us several times. I carry a 660 Grizzly ATV and a street bike alone with a couple of bycycles etc.

When we arrive somewhere, we unload the toys and turn the garage into a bedroom, laundry, office, and storage area. Even with just the two of us, the second half bath is really handy and especially when we have guests. My wife can spend an hour in the bath room and I would be looking for a tree outside if not for the second b-room.

We have considered and probably will, repaint and paper the garage area to look more like the living area. The washer dryer combo works good but loads are small but my wife has it going seemingly all the time. The extra cooler/refrig in the garage is a life saver for storing more items that the refrig won't hold. We lay carpet down over the diamond plate rubber floor to make it warmer and more comfy.

We have had very little trouble with the unit but had to beef up a few things underneath like the braces holding the water tank.

If you have two bath rooms at home could you get along without a second? My wife would kill me if we didn't have a w/d even though it takes small loads and without the second refrig/cooler I wouldn't be able to have a few cool ones handy. We also use the beds above for additional storage and have yet to have someone sleep up there.

The cyclones are built for young families with a lot of kids and are for outside sports playing but work well for old farts like me. They are (like all toy haulers) built for summer, spring, fall use and are not great for winter living but not bad either.

My vote obviously is for the 3950.

porthole

Retired
Unless you need a 14' garage I would opt for the extras of the extra 1/2 bath. Very convenient if you have guests or just for own privacy when the other is "full".

The newer trailers already have garages that mimic the interior decor.

Take a trip to Elkhart and visit the 4 big players. That is what I did and chose the Cyclone over the rest build and value for the dollar.

THANKS ... Great Info!

The details we want are definitely being addressed. Thank you. I HAVE TO HAVE MORE COUNTER SPACE. Our situation is we went from being weekenders to live-ins, no people kids just 2 dogs. One is 90lbs, the other 70lbs.

We DEFINITELY have a need for a 14' garage. No sooner set up camp in CA and bought a 5' tall by 5' wide storage bin for 'extra' stuff. I REALLY LIKE the laundry UNDER the stairs in the 3914. I REALLY LIKE THE STAIRS in the 3914. Again, only looked at them on-line.

We live 1600 miles from Elkhart, IN. THAT"S a long way to go ... just to look! Hmmmm we just might have to. Thanks again. Keep telling us what you have and love or don't love. Really appreciate the input. Mariel

Havacyclone

We have the 3950 and really like the extra restroom. Also the washer-dryer when we are hooked up. The 12 foot garage was plenty for our needs. I added solar and a inverter for our sand dune use.
Good luck in what ever you decide......Jerry

porthole

Retired
We DEFINITELY have a need for a 14' garage. No sooner set up camp in CA and bought a 5' tall by 5' wide storage bin for 'extra' stuff. I REALLY LIKE the laundry UNDER the stairs in the 3914. I REALLY LIKE THE STAIRS in the 3914. Again, only looked at them on-line.

We live 1600 miles from Elkhart, IN. THAT"S a long way to go ... just to look! Hmmmm we just might have to. Thanks again. Keep telling us what you have and love or don't love. Really appreciate the input. Mariel

I live 750 miles and flew out. It is a big decision and you may really want to see the various models in person.

That extra 2 feet of garage is at the expense of the living room.
Everything is a trade off. You may not like the smaller living room after seeing the other models.

We have the 301 with a 10' garage, which is "adequate" I would have preferred the 12' but 14 was too much.

MystrMagic

Magician
I agree with Porthole. The extra 2' in the garage is at the expense of the living room but as I mentioned below, that 14' garage was a necessity for me. I'm not a ful-timer and need to be comfortable while traveling on business. Garage/storage space outweighed the living space for me.

Had I not needed the extra 2' I may have chosen the 3950 myself but have to say I'm very happy with the 3914. The slightly smaller living room is very comfortable and everything else suites my needs to a "T". I've actually removed the dinner table and stored it away. Prefer to eat on my lap anyway and without that table there is noticably more spaciousness.

Both units are exceptionally high quality and very comfortable. For me it really came down to many, many hours of quiet meditation, sort of visualizing day to day activities and lifestyle on the road. Tried to "see" myself spending a couple of weeks at a time in many different floorplans, including competitors' models.

Carefully think it through, continue doing your homework, and search around to see if you can find one of each of the units (new or used doesn't matter) somewhere within driving range. It would be worth the time and expense to get inside them both. I understand if you can't justify going to the factory but you may find them more local to you.

Good luck in your search!

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
HELLO,,,, CYCLONE OWNERS!!WAKE UP!!

We have a new member asking questions........ Where are all the Cyclone Lovers.....

Present...and accounted for...Sir! :D I had gotten a PM from the OP a few days ago and replied, but it never went through? :confused: Maybe I can address those topics here! :)

Sorry, I've been busy and just now got in here and saw this. I think it's a matter of personal choice. For us (just the wife and I) a 1/2 bath just doesn't make alot of sense. We looked at both, but settled on the 3612 (again it was a personal call), the 3612 to us seemed more open in the middle without the island area, and we like the slide out wardrobe and still wanted the 40' length. As for quality? We haven't even got to put ours to the test yet, it's still smells like a brand new unit...........cause it is. :D But from what we're seeing (which we go out and see it daily) ;) the quality is fantastic compared to ones we looked at the last few years. We've looked and shopped them for about 5 yrs now before we decided what brand and model to buy and by far Cyclone wins over the other brands in quality by far. Maybe we'll be dissappointed when we get on the road with it, only time will tell, but for which model..............get the one that fits you both the best. Good luck to ya and enjoy this site, it's great, I've got a list of "to do's" from here.

Shame on you - when you look out and see what you think is rain or dew, running down the side of your CYCLONE...it's not! Those are tears! Poor thing, sitting all alone! I had looked for a good toyhauler for years, too. I certainly wanted the separate garage, so I didn't have to haul the Harley in the kitchen! :eek: Get out there and put it to the test. You won't be disappointed.

Hello and welcome. Like others who responded, I've been busy for a few days and didn't know you were here. I still work for a living... not like a lot of these "rich" retired folks who live full time in their RVs.;)

(But now that I think about it, the 3950 might have had a sliding door to separate the bedroom too, don't remember for certain. I know the competition's units didn't have this.)

And the REAL stairs leading up to the loft! No comparison to the rickety metal ladders of most models and even the 3950's nice built-in wooden (and attached) ladder. If you haven't had a chance to actually climb the stairs of the 3914 you need to do that. Much safer and more comfortable.

Also definitely liked the three slide out feature compared to the two slide feature.

Both units have hookups for washer/dryer. The 3950 has it in the closet in the bedroom.
I'm still working, too - I just take my CYCLONE with me! Yes, the 3950 has a sliding door on the bedroom. The ladder rungs to the loft will put the hurt on socked feet! Yes, 3 sides on the 3950. The washer/dryer is on the opposite side of the garage door from the 1/2 bath. Mine has a 'Beverage Cooler' above the W/D.

...When we arrive somewhere, we unload the toys and turn the garage into a bedroom, laundry, office, and storage area.

We lay carpet down over the diamond plate rubber floor to make it warmer and more comfy.

My vote obviously is for the 3950.

I unload the Harley and store it under the bedroom, in front of the generator/battery compartment. I added a full skirt from www.rvskirting.com, plus insulation and underbelly under the garage floor and it really helps - especially in the locations I've been parked.

...just 2 dogs. One is 90lbs, the other 70lbs.

Mariel, we have our 90+lb German Shepherd with us. He gets most of the garage once we park! Now, about the 1/2 bath - WONDERFUL! Especially right now. My valve broke on the front black tank and my wife (nor myself) would be a Happy Camper without it! Between my work hours and the too-many-digits-below-zero-frigid-temps we've encountered lately, I'll get around to repairing the front valve before too long, so in the mean time!

There is room on each side of the bed for a leg, but not really room to walk. We just scoot in & out from the end. Built-in Genny, great stereo and surround sound with the TV, I LOVE MY CYCLONE!

Cyclone Info

I LOVE seeing Cyclone toyhaulers in the snow. Our current rig would NOT survive anything colder than what we are experiencing here in So. San Francisco, CA. Have had nights at 30 degrees with frost on the truck window, not many though.

Even with the loss of the 2' in the living room ... I think we'll ultimately go with the 3914.

I am REALLY looking forward to putting the dogs in the garage! :D

p.s. htneighbors ... I did get your pm ... but that's all the response I had for a long time until Jim sent out his 'wake up' call. I really appreciate the feedback though.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I LOVE seeing Cyclone toyhaulers in the snow.

The snow photo in my sig pic was taken last winter in Wyoming!

Currently I'm in northeast NE. We got @ 20" at Christmas and another 8" about 10 days ago. Forecasting another 4" or so next week. :D

Seems I only work in the north during the winters!

They're BEAUTIFUL!!!

Gorgeous Goldens. I'm glad we're not the only people RVing with galutes ... oops .. I mean large 4 legged kids. :p

dynaguy

We too compared the models for quite some time and ended up deciding the 3950 was the way to go for us. Now just need old mother nature to cooperate so we can get out and play!!

Cycloner3950

Crazy for Camping!
We love our 2010 3950, a few minor issues with initial quality but this is more the prep dealers fault, not Heartland's. I have gone over the entire unit and fixed up everything in just a couple trips out. These units are by far the best multi use RV's in the industry, I researched the heck out of them all and the Cyclones are by far the BEST. Opt for a 2011 model and you get a few nice bonus options like a 20' awning on the 3950 and the new hydraulic front jacks (this is a must) as the old electric system quite frankly "stinks" and is inadequate for a 3000# plus pin weighted 5th wheel. Heartland listened and fixed this concern in 2011. This is the best quality of Heartland, they "listen" and are continuously improving their RV's.

Do your research and compare, the decision will become obvious after 2 or 3 walk-arounds of so called in kind toy haulers. Heartland nailed this segment head on......nice work!