Premature generator fuel starving issue

Manke3010

Hey all,

I've got my trailer in the shop to address the water tank issue, and one of the other issues I've had was this:

Filled toy/gen tank FULL, went out dry camping for 2 1/2 days.
30 gallon tank.
I pumped exactly 10 gallons from the tank to fill up toys. We ran the generator apprx 12-13 hours total for the 2 1/2 days.
Average fuel consumption for the generator is 0.4-0.8 gallons per hr.
So we'll go with 0.8 figure, which equates to 10 gallons of gas burned by gen (at most!).
So this leaves me about 10 gallons in the tank. The fuel gauge in the trailer showed between 1/4 - 1/3 tank left which is accurate with my figures.
I fire up the generator to air up my tires. 30 mins into airing up the tires, the generator chokes out of gas and quits. I had 3 gallons leftover in a 5 gallon jug.
I added the 3 gallons to the tank.
Generator fires up, runs for 25 mins and dies AGAIN! No way is a generator going to burn 3 gallons of gas in 25 mins.
I have to bum 4 gallons from my BIL, add that to tank and it runs as long as I needed (another 20 mins) to complete the airing up of the tires.

Trailer is at the shop. Gauge shows just over 1/4 tank.
RV repair shop and I figure the draw line in the gas tank for the generator is to high or faulty. Over the phone, I listen to him disconnect the gas line from the carb of the gen and pump gas into a 5 gallon jug. He fills up the 5 gallons, meter shows just about empty, fires up the gen and it runs. We didn't run it till it died, but it ran for a few minutes before he shut it down.

Soooo, who can help me solve this mystery?
I'm not convinced this issue won't happen again. Fuel pump was replaced after the first month as well.

Two most important lifelines to dry camping (which is why we buy toy haulers!!!) is water capacity and gasoline. And wouldn't you know, I'm having problems accessing even 80% of the capacity :(

Thanks in advance for any insight.
-Luke

Luckyhat12

my fuel pump burned out..... I told them that before the warranty was up and the dealer said it was pumping. IT was moving fuel occasionally but not always and couldn't build pressure.

I bought a replacement pump on ebay and mounted it near the tank.