Outdoor World in New Jersey

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hello all,
I could really use some honest opinions of two Outdoor World Campgrounds in New Jersey. One is Lake and Shore Campground and the other is Sea Pines. We want to get to the coast and these are both as close as it gets. Looks to be about a 9+ hour drive for us. From the looks of the campground maps they look crowded but I realize that I cannot go by that. If anyone out there has been to these, please let me know what you think.

What about Chestnut Lake in New Jersey? Anybody have an opinion on this.

Thank you,
Mark

Last edited:

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Hi Mark,

Chestnut Lake is a very quiet little campground with a small lake filled with bass, bluegills and catfish. We go there purely for the fishing. No cable so Satellite is important. Summer can be a bug problem right off the Mulica River.

As far as Outdoor World, we went to one, Lake & Shore Resort and that was the only time we ever moved our slider hitch to get into a site. Roads are narrow with too many trees. They also do a huge rental business so many campers are not respectful RV owners! Loud, wild and crazy over the weekends!

Hope this helps!

mrcomer

Thanks Debbie,
I was concerned about Lake and Shore purely from the campground map I looked at. It looked very crowded. There is another Outdoor World about 8 miles from this one and it too looked a bit congested. May have to stick with Chestnut.

Thanks again,
Mark

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Mark,

Let me know if you guys should decide to come to Jersey. We are only about 1/2 Hour from Chestnut Lake. It is in a nice area. Smithville Historic Village is a few miles away. Atlantic City about 20 minutes. If you want to go to the beach from there Brigantine has the best beaches, parking and day guest facilities.

mrcomer

Thanks for thr info Debbie.

Chestnut lake would be the cheapest place to stay as we are 1000Trails members but they seem to only have 30 amp sites. May be pretty warm there in June?

Is the general area nice?
My wife likes lighthouses, are there any nearby that you are aware of?
My wife also want to be at the ocean. Kids will like it too.

We may be there the 3rd week of June. Trying to schedule this as our family vacation, then our Ohio rally in July, then the big rally in Nashville which may only be me and my son and/or daughter. Linda wants to stay home for a wedding.

Thanks for the help,
Mark

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Barnegat Light State Park is on the northern end of Long Beach Island. Lighthouse known as "Old Barney". It would be about 35 minutes from Chestnut Lake. Also some more towards the Cape May area. Historic Gardners Basin in Atlantic City has an aquarium and sea life exhibits. The Atlantic City Boardwalk is nice (Mostly Shopping) but if it's a family adventure (Amusements and Water Parks) Ocean City's Boardwalk is extremely family friendly. All these things are within and hour of Chestnut Lake.

As far as the 30 amp service - NJ Campgrounds are far behind the times. Sorry but it's something we've learned to live with.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
NJ southern campgrounds tend to be tight, crowded, lot of seasonal clientele and expensive.

Basically - behind the times, especially in value for the dollar.

We have stayed at the Sea Pirate in Tuckerton. In the front where the travelers stay it is fairly nice and an easy walk to the pool. In the back - well - there are banjos being plucked.

Bugs can be a problem at these southern Jersey sites near water.

Our "greenheads" literally take chunks when they bite - and they don't stop if you go into the water. West winds make things worse.

There are evenings where we smother the fire a bit and sit in the smoke...

June weather really varies in Jersey from hot and dry to cool and wet.
Actually our weather really varies all the time.

Deb set up a rally in south Jersey this year and we are looking forward to this adventure

porthole

Retired
This is my reply for rmotorcycle frineds that were coming up for a lighthouse tour.

Depending on your plans - time frame - take the Ferry to Jersey and some of us may meet you there. First light house will be there to - Cape May Light.

NJ has somewhere in the range of 18 lights, but not all are "houses" in the normal meaning.

But we have a few traditional, Cape May, Absecon (Atlantic City) Barnegat etc as well as non traditional, The "Twin Lights" And up on Sandy Hook is the oldest operating lighthouse in the country, Sandy Hook Light.

If you come up 95 we could hit all 11 "traditional" Lights.

It is 310 miles doing this, so you can't do it in a day if you expect to stop and look take pics etc.

And you could add "Edison Light", not a lighthouse in the "marine" way, but a lighthouse just the same. It marks Christie Street, the first street to be illuminated by incandescent lamps, and is a memorial to the towns namesake, who lived and worked there.

mrcomer

Thanks for the info Duane. We are looking forward to being on the coast. Fingers crossed that the weather and bugs will be tolerable.

Mark

porthole

Retired
Forgot the Edison Light picture

index.php

porthole

Retired
Thanks for the info Duane. We are looking forward to being on the coast. Fingers crossed that the weather and bugs will be tolerable.

Mark

Well make sure you let the locals know - always looking for a reason other then no reason to go for a bike ride!

Hey Mark, Denny and I were at Chestnut Lake AND Lake and Shore this past summer. Chestnut Lake was miserable with mosquitoes and it was tight getting into the spots and that was with our shorter 36' Palisades--it would be even tougher with the 38' GC. I really enjoyed Lake and Shore--close to Atlantic City and the shore and golf yet quiet. Lots of trees meant you'd have to look to find a site that would allow your satellite dish to be set up--we were in site 2 on Brigantine Rd. right across from the water park but a clear shot to the sky for the satellite dishes.

mrcomer

Nice to hear from you Denny and Linda. Hope you are enjoying your new rig. I am glad to get your opinion on both campgrounds. I will look harder at Lake and Shore. I was a bit skeptical initally because when I looked at the campground layout it looked congested. Didn't realize that Chesnut Lake was that bad. Thank you so much for the info.

BTW, have you thought about signing up for the National Rally in Nashville? Looks to be a good time.

Later,
Mark

Mark, we will be in either Wyoming or Montana about the time of the Nashville rally, although we may be in Colorado around the time of the one in Gunnison (which is a gorgeous area). We're still busy making the GC "ours" by adding shelving, JT stabilizers, a water filtration system, etc. Right now we're trying to find the source of a leak under the shower, but overall we're pleased with the GC. So far in our campground here in Yuma, AZ there are at least five BHs but we're the only Landmark. However, we haven't walked the entire campground yet, that's only a few rows around us.

While in NJ, visit Cape May Point state park and Island Beach State Park. Be advised the tolls are pricey on the turnpikes; use the cash payment kiosks with attendants as they charge by axles and have cameras mounted at the toll booths if you get in an "auto" lane where it only accepts exact change of $1.50. NJ will mail you your ticket if you use the $1.50 lane!:(

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Mark,

Tolls, oh we got tolls. If you have EZ PASS you're ok but if not hit the change lanes on the parkway.

If you are crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge we suggest you don't use EZ PASS. We used it twice to find out it charged a $16.00 Tractor Trailer fee instead of the $6.00 Truck and RV Fee. Took almost a year for NJ to credit our EZ PASS account.