Lighter Socket for 12 Volt Accesories

LookN4Ward

I purchased a 12 volt mini air compressor to inflate bike tires and other items. I had to use my lighter socket in the pickup to use it. It might be a nice feature to have an exterior lighter socket near the toy lok feature or outdoor 110 receptacle to use 12 volt accesories. Since much of the electrical system is 12 volt it might not be much of a trick to do.

:cool:

wyleyrabbit

Agreed. One of my planned mods this spring is to add a 12V female outlet to the basement of our Bighorn, specifically for things like mini-air compressors and such. I think the parts can be purchased pretty much anywhere, and given the small wattage and the short cable run, I don't think an overly large cord would be required.

Anyone know what gauge cord is used on vehicle 12V outlets?

caissiel

Most 12 volt sockets are for 6 Amps or so, and protected with a 15 Amp fuse. I would at least use a 14 Ga wire, red and white on the trailer. That's a great idea, I should have one on both sides by the tires. I use my 12Volt compressor to load up the tires on our trailer when I check them. There are weather proof units available with a build in cover. Wally World has them.

2010augusta

Here is one I added to our trailer, and discussed in a previous post.

//heartlandowners.org/showpost.php?p=86583&postcount=9

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dont use a lighter socket......get the one used for cell phones. You can get them at a GM dealer. Better yet...PM me your address and I will send you one with the connector and wires. Boy is that a deal. Bob:D