Reprograming the computer--any experience

kseagle

We have a '08 Dodge 2500 with the cummins engine and jake brake. There is $15,000K on the truck. We were getting around 13.5 towing a light (7,000#) trailer and around 19 with no tow. Took it to Dodge for service (change an egt sensor & download an update) and mpg (both towing and on the road) dropped at least 2 mpg to for 11.5 towing and 16 mpg w/o tow. Took it back to Dodge (after 5,000k mi) and we are now getting 19+ w/o tow (haven't towed with it yet, since the 2nd service). Dodge service swears that they did not "tweak" anything, but did state there is an aftermarket computer program that will enhance performance and not void the warranty. Since this program is spend-y wanted to see if anyone has experience with it.
Your thoughts are appreciated--David & Karen

caissiel

Looks like someone wants money. There are some programers that are 48 States legal, and I have one. Maybe thats what he means by available. I got mine for $329.00

Mike Repp

KSEAGLE,

I’m on my third Dodge (Cummins) truck and they really don’t start getting really good mileage until the truck has 20K or more. I have the Bully Dog tuner unit install in my 06 Dodge that my mileage went from about 19mpg to 23 mpg not towing. Towing (Cyclone) I went from 8.5 mpg to as high as 13 mpg. Of course this depends on the terrain and how you drive. The tuner can be taken in and out of the truck with the computer being set back to factory specs.

Rrloren

I have a programmer and an air intake system but the best increase I saw in MPG was unplugging the EGR valve. I saw a 2.5 - 3 mpg improvement .
My old trailer weighed 11m lbs and a trip out West last year netted 13 mpg .
With my Sundance I'm hoping for better. We'll see.

caissiel

I tried to unplug my EGR valve and the temperature dropped to much and had to plug it back in. MPG increase is much more at higher speeds. Stock any speed above 2000RPM was just awful. Love the torque my E-Con gives me on both low and high setting.

Rrloren

{I tried to unplug my EGR valve and the temperature dropped to much }

My intake air and egt's dropped also. I am unable to get my egt's above 1200 degrees. I have to make sure I drive long enough when I'm in re-gen so that the DPF gets cleaned.

Drew

Look up smarty. I'm running one with the whole emissions system removed. Great power and no more soot in my motor from the egr.

caissiel

I think my thermostat keeps the truck to cold and I need to be above 180F for the truck to gain fuel mileage, and when I disconnected the EGR the temperature of the water stayed under 180F and the mileage went down. When the truck has not heated above 180F I cannot get above 16MPG and after it reaches above 180F the reading is as high as 28 MPG. So with the EGR I get faster heat up and the truck water temperature raises faster. And that is what my gauge shows me.
I have a new thermostat to install when I do the coolant flush.

Rrloren

Yeah Drew , I know about the deletes and Smarty but in NJ they inspect for emissions every 2 years and I'm not going to put that stuff back on every 2 yrs.
Wish I could take that junk off, I'm sure my mileage would be even better.
They put this stuff on to save a little on emissions then you burn 25% more fuel, doesn't make sense.

caissiel

A diesel only needs fuel for power, the EGR only restrict the amount of oxygen and keeps the exhaust hotter so the pollutant burns better, I am sure the Hypertech is programed for the EGR to stay on. The EGR valve is always clean and I don't idle it. Because the temperatures and power is not a problem I keep my truck as it is. My mileage is the same as my old 90 6,2L diesel was, and twice the power, no complains here. Not bad for a truck that weights 2K more and hauls a house.