Added Heat in Garage of my 3010 (Pics)

Yianni

I added heat to the garage of my Cyclone 3010 since I missed the factory install by a couple of months. This was a very inexpensive project(about $40.00 for parts) but very time consuming. There is not a whole lot of room in the underbelly for a 4 inch duct. Half the battle was figuring out routing and where to cut 4 inch holes without hitting anything.
These heaters work best when using the ducting from the heater. If you attach a duct hose they don't put out as much heat. For example, the ducts in the bath and bedroom go from a 4 inch hose duct to metal ducting so they don't put out as much heat as in the main room. I took a shot of my digital temp. gauge. It averaged 86 and the ones in the main room were much hotter. Air flow from the other registers did not suffer with the new line, and the new line really blasts. I put a fully adjustable register in the garage so it can be closed down. I also added a dresser for the kids clothes so it was a very tight fit for the register. It all worked out well and I didn't drill through anything I wasn't supposed to.
The first pic I thought you might find interesting. It is the duct that dumps heat into the underbelly.

Attachments

• DSC02414 (resized).jpg
    DSC02414 (resized).jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 766
  • DSC02418 (resized).jpg
    DSC02418 (resized).jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 712
  • DSC02420 (resized).jpg
    DSC02420 (resized).jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 701
  • DSC02421 (resized).jpg
    DSC02421 (resized).jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 674
  • DSC02422 (resized).jpg
    DSC02422 (resized).jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 660
  • DSC02423 (resized).jpg
    DSC02423 (resized).jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 671
  • DSC02424 (resized).jpg
    DSC02424 (resized).jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 651
  • DSC02426 (resized).jpg
    DSC02426 (resized).jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 657
  • DSC02427 (resized).jpg
    DSC02427 (resized).jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 676
  • DSC02431 (resized).jpg
    DSC02431 (resized).jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 611

Ronn

4" duct?

It looks like you used 4" duct, that must work great. I have factory installed heat in the garage of my 3010 and they used 2" duct! It sucks, to put it nicely, no heat. they have run it under drawers that probably won't take 4" but i'll have to do something. I put towels over all the other registers and still didn't get heat to come out of that register, it blows, but not heat. bums me out....

Ronn

the nightmare of this job is getting from under the stairs to under the kitchen sink. The underbelly looks like a p.i.t.a. I got that plastic stuff screwed every 8" or so then I have a gas line right in my way, if I start pulling screws in the straps I guess it will just hang there but I am not sure if thats gonna be enough space to work in there... anybody? Its just a short distance to go so maybe I just need to get my hands in there.. thanks

Yianni

Ronn,
Take a temp reading at your register and see if you are getting anything close to the 86.3 I had on mine. Even with 4 inch ducting 86.3 is not close to the temp coming out of the other registers but keep in mind the other registers are supplied by sheet metal ducting and not flex hose. There is plenty of room behind the cabinets for 4 inch ducting. The hardest part was going from the heater under the trailer and back up into the kitchen because its crowded under there, but the 4" fit just fine and it took nothing away from the rest of the heating in other parts. Still gets too hot in other areas.
I've read the Fuzions and Raptors are the same as far as minimal heat in the garage from the factory install.
First thing is to check your temp after its had a chance to heat up and then look to see if you have a flattened duct somewhere. You only need to remove a few screws on the underbelly to have a look.
My vent keeps the garage plenty warm.
Good luck!

Yianni

dumb question....what about extending the living room duct into the garage somehow?

Ah, if only it were that simple. That was my original thought, this is going to be easy but it would be too difficult. The ducting for the heater is in the upper underbelly section not visible when you drop the underbelly and then there is a gray tank mounted below the ducting making it pretty much impossible to get to.
Not a dumb question though. That was my first thought.

Ronn

I don't have a cool thermometer like you but I know that I am not getting anything close to 86 degrees from my 2" duct! I did some investigating under the belly where I would need to go and I couln't even find my existing hose! I can grab it thru that little round access hole in my storage area, then i lose it until it surfaces up behind the cabinetry. I'm not done though. I wonder if anybody ever thought that 2" duct was going to work or did they even test it? thanks for your input, keep it coming!

JamesnjennD

We had a Fuzion first now a 4014 Cyclone that needs heat. Going to NM where it's 30 degrees at night. Our vent is right to the side of washer but we are still using a little heater from Walmart. Kids sleep in here. Do we need to see if the vent ducting is cut?