Mud Flaps or Stone Guards

RollingHome

Hello All,

My wife and I are newbies :) After pulling tow behinds we finally bought a BH 5er. I've been reading ur threads for a while and u guys have sum smart ideas. I need lot's of help, and u can help me. What kind of mud flaps should I get to save my unit ? I pull with a full size PU. I like the temp units I can remove. Finally, HOWEVER, DO I REALLY NEED FLAPS ?

Thanks 4 ur help

Two Hands

I finally got tired of cleaning the tar off of the front bottom of my Big Horn and got GM mud flaps from the dealer where I bought my Chevy Silverado. They don't help as much as I thought they would, but they do keep some of the debris from hitting the trailer.

truknutt

Committed Member
Here is a thread that discusses removeable mudflaps:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=4868&highlight=mudflaps

and another:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=12922&highlight=mudflaps

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I run Ultraguard flaps on both my dually and my transporter truck both trucks have them permanently mounted, I find no need to take them off. Simply put, they work and are half the price of the Pro-Flaps. They are also available in a 96" wide version.

The 70" models work best on pickups and on duallies you also need flaps by the tires.

On the F800 I had to use a 70" flap cut in half. The dealer that was installing it forgot to mention he was out of 96" flaps when he started the job last minute:mad:

IMG00080.jpg

IMG01454.jpg

caissiel

I drive in many dirty roads here in the north, I found that the simple mud flaps that cover the width of the rear tire is the most effective method. If they are bending to much just add weight like metal, or chrome. The flaps have to create an air flow down, keeping the dirt on the ground. And not to much in order not to lift the dirt.
I have the Ford flaps that came with the truck and they do a fine job.
The bigger flaps, that are wider then the wheels will just sweep all the dirt and trow it on the trailer.
I once drove through fresh tarred chip-seal new paving section and just dirtied the edge of the trailer front, no spray at all. The trailer is much wider then my single wheel truck.

There is a well detailed report in one of the trailer life edition that covers the subject.

CrazyScotsman

I drive in many dirty roads here in the north,

caissiel.... Is there such a thing as a clean road in the North? especially this time of year.
I have no idea what they put on the roads on top of the snow and ice up here in Saskatoon :confused: , all I can say is after a little bit of a thaw, white cars are now black after running down the roads. It is one nasty mess.

caissiel

We sure know what is on the road, dirt, salt, sand, broken pavement, rocks and tim's coffee cups.

Delaine and Lindy

Dura Flaps......

I have owned several set from www.Duraflap.com they are pricey but will last and they are very professional. I have use wingguard that mounted on the receiver hitch but didn't think they worked very well and didn't look very good to me. Gave them to our friends. GBY....

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I followed a Landmark into Yellowston NP last May who had mud flaps on the trailer. Sounds like a good idea. Has anyone installed them on the rig??

Delaine and Lindy

Splash guards.

I have something similar to a rock guard for pick ups mounted at the rear of our 5th wheel. Its to help prevent rocks from hiting the Chevy HHR we tow behind our 5th wheel. I believe I will be changing it to a solid guard. GBY.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I bought a set of Enkay mud flaps several years ago when I tried delivering RV's for a living. They are great people to work with and I like them a lot.

lwmcguir

I use factory mud flaps behind the tires. They help keep from splashing the Truck but don't stop the gravel. You will need something at the rear bumper to do that.

RollingHome

Many Thanks :)

I appreciate all your input. Especially Truknut. I had read as many threads as I could to make sure my question wasn't already asked. I think "they" Heartland will not allow me as a probationary member (aka junior member) to explore all links etc. (man I hate some rules). Anyway, after reading EVERYTHING I decided to go with the Rock Tammers. I purchased them from Costco for $ 179.00 (I had to order via intenet). I really wanted to build my own BUT (excuse me ladies) I know profanity is not wanted, BUT, I still work (that discusting 4 letter word), I'm not retired. Excuse my language on the forum but I think ya outa know - I'm still working and do not have any spare time to create - but someday.... someday.... :) Anyway, Thanks to ALL. Tom & Patti

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I really wanted to build my own BUT (excuse me ladies) I know profanity is not wanted, BUT, I still work (that discusting 4 letter word), I'm not retired. Excuse my language on the forum but I think ya outa know - I'm still working and do not have any spare time to create - but someday.... someday.... :) Anyway, Thanks to ALL. Tom & Patti

I'm retired but went back to work 3 years later. DOH!!!!!

Owning and running my own truck has become a self fulfilling prophecy.... Drive for a month, come home and spend a week and all my money fixing the truck then go back to work for a month to make more money to fix the truck again when I'm home for a week........ or 2 depending on how much I broke that month :confused:

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
JC Whitney has some kool mud flaps with LED's on the bottom. In reverse they reflect white, and going forward red. Not very expensive either. Check them out on the JC Whitney web site.