air conditioner noise

norloff1

I just bought a 24 foot North Country with a Coleman air conditioner in the ceiling. When connected to 110 power a small fan or compressor intermittently comes on even when the air conditioner is totally off. The fan (if it is one) is not the main fan which is much louder. This one is noisy enough to be bothersome at night. If I unplug the trailer, it stops, but that is not the solution. How do I shut the noise off? Also, what is it?

Iver

Response

I have just joined this forum and am trying to see answers to this member's question. How do I do that?

jimtoo

Hi Norloff1 and Iver,

Wow... Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family... We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information... but looks like they have been asleep on this thread.... very unusual. Most of the time you get more information than you want. Also, both of you were still under moderation and maybe that had something to do with it.... not making excuses, but maybe.

I know that both post are approved now, so someone will jump in and give us some information about the noise. I do not know of anything in the A/c that would be making anykind of noise with the switch in the off position. But maybe the fan in the bathroom or something else is coming on, refrigerator or something. I think they need to narrow the noise location down closer, even to taking the filter cover off the a/c and listening in different areas.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jimtoo

Jim: Other than trial and error how does one learn to navigate this forum?

I would suggest that you go to the "Portal" page and that is where all the new post since your last visit will be. Other than that you need to go to the "Forum" page and scan down to find the area you are interested in. It is not hard at all and once you get used to the forum it is really easy...

Jim M

norloff1

I just bought a 24 foot North Country with a Coleman air conditioner in the ceiling. When connected to 110 power a small fan or compressor intermittently comes on even when the air conditioner is totally off. The fan (if it is one) is not the main fan which is much louder. This one is noisy enough to be bothersome at night. If I unplug the trailer, it stops, but that is not the solution. How do I shut the noise off? Also, what is it?
UPDATE --- I just got the trailer back from the repair shop. They found that the air conditioner was wired incorrectly at the factory, and it was causing the compressor to come on periodically. The Heartland rep told the repair tech that there may be up to 300 units with this problem. Look for it!