Rear wall separating

Sundance_kid

Has anyone had their rear wall start to separate from the 2 side walls? Mine is starting at the bottom on both sides and working its way up, about a 1/4" on one side and a 1/8" on the other. Taking the 5er in on Monday to the dealer. Hope it's an easy fix as this is a good rig and we love it, its an 08 and we have about 18,000 miles on it with just a few leaks as the only problems.

Sundance_kid

Has anyone had their rear wall start to separate from the 2 side walls? Mine is starting at the bottom on both sides and working its way up, about a 1/4" on one side and a 1/8" on the other. Taking the 5er in on Monday to the dealer. Hope it's an easy fix as this is a good rig and we love it, its an 08 and we have about 18,000 miles on it with just a few leaks as the only problems.

Well at least this doesn't seem to be a on going problem with these units...;)

Rmcgrath53

seperation

I think the front and rear sides are framed in wood. I would think that possibly the wood has expanded by water getting in there some way. Have you checked up on the roof where the roof is attatched at the side?

Northern Virginia
It's hard to tell from your pictures but I wouldn't describe that as separation of the rear wall. You do get thermal movement at all the fiberglass joints. The caulk also will continuously crack at those joints. I have had to point up the caulk every spring and fall.

John

lwmcguir

It's hard to tell from your pictures but I wouldn't describe that as separation of the rear wall. You do get thermal movement at all the fiberglass joints. The caulk also will continuously crack at those joints. I have had to point up the caulk every spring and fall.

John

Good point, we have to caulk as well. If the gap keeps getting bigger then you better have it checked.

Sundance_kid

Thanks for the repiles, can't see anything to do with water intrution. The slide is about 3' from the end. Never have had any leaks in the walls or ceiling areas at all. It's going in for a quick check Monday as we head for the coast for a week, will make an appointment to fix when we get back. Thanks again.

lwmcguir

Thanks for the repiles, can't see anything to do with water intrution. The slide is about 3' from the end. Never have had any leaks in the walls or ceiling areas at all. It's going in for a quick check Monday as we head for the coast for a week, will make an appointment to fix when we get back. Thanks again.

Changing the subject, how do you like your Timbrens? What tires are you running on them?

Sundance_kid

Changing the subject, how do you like your Timbrens? What tires are you running on them?

Like them real well, have had them on for 6 years and no problems. I run Uniroyal Laredos 265 80 16R 10 ply. Got 41,000 out of the last set and generally if the truck moves it has the 5er on it.

Sundance_kid

UPDATE:

Picked up the rig today. What the dealer found were the screws that hold the rear wall to the side walls were only catching by 1/2" (2" screws), no water intruesion. Replaced with 3" screws and pulled back into place. Will keep an eye on it and maintain it myself if it happens again. Thanks again for all you ideas.

Netem

Glad to hear you didn't have a water problem. You had me running outside to check the back of my Sundance and its cold out there. Everything looked good on mine but I'll check the screws if I ever see a problem. Thanks for the up date.

Sundance_kid

Glad to hear you didn't have a water problem. You had me running outside to check the back of my Sundance and its cold out there. Everything looked good on mine but I'll check the screws if I ever see a problem. Thanks for the up date.

Keep an eye on it for sure, if caught soon can pull in easy by just snubbing up the screws.