Campground or RV Park near Rockport, TX

jgdds

Can anyone recommend a place to stay while in Rockport, TX. I have a class there on the 23rd of this month and want to take the new rig down for its maiden voyage.

I have two small kids(3 and 4.5) so a place that has some space to play would be a nice bonus!

Thanks,

Josh

ralphpam

Drifters Resort between Rockport & Aransas Pass is very nice. Be sure to take the free ferry to the island beaches and don't miss the The Big Fisherman for lunch. Tuesday used to be all you can eat chicken fried steak, cole slaw and mashed potatoes for $1.50 - probably a bit more now. Also many other lunch specials. Really fun area and lots to do! Enjoy..........

rick_debbie_gallant

Drifters Resort between Rockport & Aransas Pass is very nice. Be sure to take the free ferry to the island beaches and don't miss the The Big Fisherman for lunch. Tuesday used to be all you can eat chicken fried steak, cole slaw and mashed potatoes for $1.50 - probably a bit more now. Also many other lunch specials. Really fun area and lots to do! Enjoy..........

Big Fisherman is now 2.50 on Tuesday. But I think they have added fish!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When we were in Rockport last year we drove around to find a place we might like for this year. This is place is not to bad but it is a large concrete place. It has a nice fishing pier at the end.

Big D RV Resort
3101 FM 1781
(also search for HWY 1781 or CR 1781)
Rockport, TX 78382
GPS (Lat/Long): 28.071942, -97.07762

All thse places in the RGV are pretty busy until around March or April when the snow birds start back north.

FWIW
BC

SmokeyBare

We were at Beacon RV Park in Rockport for December. http://www.beaconrv.com/ The weather as well as the mosquitos drove us to the Rio Grand Valley.

We're staying in Canyon Lake RV Park. http://www.canyonlakervresort.com/

I've not ask the office lately but there are plenty of open sites in Mission's Parks.

The park has quite a few activities through the month. There are always a group playing cards in the community center.

Marv

cjbearden

Visitor
Rustic Cove in Rockport (http://rusticcove-rvresort.com/home) is a park that is being redeveloped, just down the road from the Big Fisherman. We were considering it for possible winter location this next winter season. Drawback, wifi is only 2G. We must have 3G and the best is in Aransas Pass. Not sure about the activities for children at Rustic Cove. Just a thought.

C.J.

jgdds

Well we took a chance and paid a little extra so the kids could utilize the heated indoor pool at Lagoons. When we arrived at 11:15 at night on Thursday we found a map of the resort with our name on it taped to the door and directions for getting to the site. Cool I thought, and off we went. However, we soon realized there was NO WAY our 41ft. coach was going to fit into the space they had us in, and the tree at the front corner would keep most RV's from being able to back into the space.

What do you do when it is almost midnight and there is only ONE space open in the whole park? You head back out to the Wal-Mart you passed on the way in. Yep, we spent the night in the Wallyworld parking lot with a few other motorhomes! Needless to say, it was not exactly how I pictured spending the first night in the new coach, and I didn't sleep very well.

The next morning when we called, they were very apologetic and stated they had a pull-thru site large enough for us opening up and to come over. After getting into the site and set up, we checked in and they only charged us for one night since they made the mistake of noting our trailer was only 31'.

All in all it was a good weekend and we had only noted a few small issues that need to be addressed. I had to re-align the pipes under the sink to eliminate a small leak.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to mount our space saver coffee pot to the underside of the cabinet and to install a new outlet to plug her into.

I am certain this is not the ONLY mods that will happen, they just seem to be the highest on the list of priorities. I mean, who can do anything without a cup of joe first thing in the morning :confused:

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

Lagoons / Coffee Pot

Good to hear Lagoons in Rockport took care of you. Did you have any problem with their entrance? I've driven by many times and wondered if the rear of my rig would drag.

I installed our space saver coffee pot in the garage area below one of those cabinets. It has been nice to have the full counter and cabinet space open in the kitchen.

jgdds

No problems with the entrance. I went slow and didn't have a choice but to enter and exit at an angle and did not drag. There are plenty of skid marks in the asphalt so some rigs will drag, but I didn't have a problem.

I don't have any cabinets in the garage, so I mounted it in the kitchen. Found out the plugs they use in these things are the el-cheapo type with the two blades that you force the wire with the insulation through and the two edges cut through the insulation to make contact...definitely different than the residential style I was used to.

All in all, it went well with adding the additional outlet and mounting the coffee pot, until I ran into the rat's nest of cut and spliced cables, connectors, and cords behind my stereo! I should have taken a few pics...It is going to take me a while to sort out that mess and redo it properly. Ignorance is bliss!!

Last edited:

texbets

I am sitting here writing this in Lagoons RV Resort. We love RVing and do it in a 38' Cardinal 5th wheel. We have stayed in 2 other RV parks in Rockport but this is the ONE. We were in another park during the month of July and spent time looking for another park. I think we checked out all the parks in Rockport and we found this one. The staff is so friendly and you feel welcome. Very quite park. The indoor pool ia great. It is the answer for me because I can't do sun. The grandchildren spend time with us and they love it. The cost to stay here is worth every penny.

jimtoo

Hi texbets,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and maybe someday to the family of Heartlanders. We have a great bunch of people here and you are welcome to attend some of our local or area rallies.

Thanks for the update on the Lagoons RV Resort. We live not to far away and sometimes go to the Rockport area.

Meanwhile, enjoy the forum and go and look at some Heartland units when you can.

Jim M

hcriddle

Texbets, I am trying to get an idea what the charge for electricity would be and how that compares to a weekly rate that includes electric. What does the .15KwH cost each week if you don't mind me asking?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hi Buddy and Maureen,
When we stayed at Lakeview RV Park in Houston we were paying .15 kwh. It all depends on how much you use everything but our bill ran $63-$68 per month. But that was this past winter and we were not running the ac much, but did run the ffireplace some. We did not run our water heater on electric but did run the refrigerator on electric. Bottom line is you have to watch to keep it reasonable. BTW the propane was running $20 a week. It was a cold winter.

hcriddle

Thanks Jim. I was thinking it could get expensive with the heat down here right now. We may try to head down and check it out next week.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks Jim. I was thinking it could get expensive with the heat down here right now. We may try to head down and check it out next week.

There are many parks that only charge for electric when you are monthly. Weekly does not. You might think about the Thousand Trails offer they have right now. You can get a regional membership for free and only have to pay for the annual dues which is $499. Then you can stay in all of the parks for 14 days for free with 30 amp and $3 a day for 50 amp. There are a number of ones in Texas. Here is the link where you can check it out. https://www.zonecampingpass.com/index.aspx There are two Thousand Trails parks close to Houston, one in Willis, and one in Columbus.