Surge Protector

labbysmom

Should we order this with our Bighorn fifth wheel? If so, what is the best brand and or should it be hardwired?

Many thanks
Diane and Mark

2010augusta

We really like the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C with the remote display mounted in the control center inside the trailer. I did the install myself and it was not too hard. It tells us a lot of good information and I have heard their customer support is great.

I like the hard wired for a couple reasons:

1. it is always there, no need to find and hook-up another thing when parking

2. it is out of the weather.

3. it is buried deep in the inner basement and is away from prying eyes.

If we ever get a different trailer I will either uninstall the unit and reconnect the factory wires or just spend the $300 or so and buy another EMS.

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Alan on the Progressive EMS. I have one and it has saved me more than once. And they have good customer service. But the main thing is that you get some sort of protection.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had the dealer install the Progressive unit while they were holding it for us over the winter after we bought it (at a RV Show). I later moved the location of the unit myself. It is not a difficult thing to do yourself, if you're handy with basic tools and wiring. The biggest problem is wrestling with #6 wire. Like an anaconda on steroids. The remote display is great because if there is a problem while you're away (and the power is on), it will retain the error code until you clear it. So you know what happened. Without the remote, you have to physically look at the suppressor, where ever it's mounted, to see the display.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I agree with all the others, however, I prefer to use the Progressive unit that is attached to the pedestal. There is a way to chain it there and easy to read. Just plug it in to the electrical plug, and there is no problem. I worry if something goes wrong it could sacrifice itself and cause a fire or burnout. When not in use, it's in my storage unit. It's over $300 and worth every penny. Try tweetys.com and choose to hardwire it, or plug it into the pedestal. At Tweetys, the portable unit I prefer is $363.88 with no tax or shipping charges I believe. The model # is EMS-PT50C Manufacturer: Progressive Industries
Built in Lock Bracket: Allows the user to secure to power source to prevent theft

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The possibility of a fire due to the suppressor is remote and was addressed several months ago. I sent the question to Progressive and got their reply.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
OK John I stand corrected, but I still prefer the portable surge protector as there is an installation fee, unless it's one of you tool belt guys who does it themselves. My DW wears the tool belt in my family. lol