cable and satellite cables.......

airedale

could anyone at the factory tell me what type of cable runs from the outside compartment to the outlets inside; both cable and satellite, if they are different.....many thanks....

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
airedale, All cables are RG6 coaxial cables and are routed as needed to the various areas in your rig. The "cable" input is routed to the antenna amplifier and is used by turning the amplifier off which routes the cable signal to both front & rear tv's. The Sat input is routed to the main LR TV. if there is another sat input it should be the cable coming from the roof. If you were to have a roof dish installed, you would use a jumper coax between the two connections in the docking center to route the roof signal to the LR TV.

airedale

tnks ray.....rg6 was what i was looking for.......because my cable and my hi speed internet come out of the same cable connection on the post.....this means i have to come out of the post connection with rg6 to a splitter....and then go with rg59 to cable tv and rg6 to my modem.....all the way around the unit and in the window......my problem is...why cannot i hook to the sat connector in the compartment and run to the output connector behind the tv and then hook from there to the modem...which is rite below the tv...you catching what i'm trying to do...???.......appreciate your comeback.....pete

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
tnks ray.....rg6 was what i was looking for.......because my cable and my hi speed internet come out of the same cable connection on the post.....this means i have to come out of the post connection with rg6 to a splitter....and then go with rg59 to cable tv and rg6 to my modem.....all the way around the unit and in the window......my problem is...why cannot i hook to the sat connector in the compartment and run to the output connector behind the tv and then hook from there to the modem...which is rite below the tv...you catching what i'm trying to do...???.......appreciate your comeback.....pete
I think I'm understanding your situation.

Are you splitting at the pedestal and running two coax into the UDC. One to the cable connection and the other to the Sat connection? This should work as long as your using the correct sat connection. Remember, one goes to the roof and the other to the entertainment center.

The other option may be run a single coax in through the sat connection and split it in the entertainment center. Then run one lead to the TV and the other to the modem. This will bypass the antenna amplifier which may be causing some sort of conflict with the cable/internet signal.

The problem with this set up is you won't have cable at the bedroom TV. You may have to run a separate coax from the entertainment center to the bedroom.

2010augusta

You can use RG6 for everything. RG6 is a higher performance cable than RG59.

I run a single RG6 into the UDC area, and then split it one into the basement for the modem and wireless router the other into the cable input for the entire trailer.

I have done this and then used both the satellite ports for DirecTV. I like the modem and router in the basement because it is less clutter inside.

airedale

alan....have you found a splitter you can switch from side to side without unhooking, or do you have to physically change the rg6 behind the tv from sat to cable outlet..?...

thanks to you and ray for the ideas...things i had'nt thought about....rite now, my cable is running perfectly on both tvs....also the hi-speed is running perfectly by coming off the other side of the splitter, under the rv and in through the window.

i just cannot figure out why i cant come off that splitter to the living room sat connection in the UDC, and then pick the signal up at the sat connector behind the tv and hook to the modem, which is 4 feet away...

there is a full schematic of the UDC functions on the inside of the slam door which is great, but there is a possibility that, like my cyclone, the wire never got to the intended inside outlet...tnks and cheers....

2010augusta

If you are not planning on using a satellite system, then you can use that wiring for your modem.

The splitter I'm am using are the standard splitters that come with the self-install kits for the cable modems.

If you want I will try to draw up a diagram of the wiring I have done, but it seems that you already know what you need to do.

for your case, I would just use one splitter in the UDC and run the cable through the cable input and the Internet through the satellite input,

airedale

your last sentence is exactly what i'm trying to do, alan......trouble is, when i hook it up that way, i get no signal to my modem.....first bighorn dealer i run across, or the first electrical gru i can find in the park, i will have check the impedance between the two connectors..[i think it's impedance] ....

even though it's just about three years between construction of my cyclone and construction of my bighorn, what are the odds the same cowboy did the sat wiring on both....there's no chance at all........yeah, yeah, yeah......will let you guys know if i get it sorted.......cheers

think i'd better check the splitter also......

2010augusta

Have you happened to look at the back of the UDC a made sure that the wires are connected?

You might also try all the satellite connections and see if they are not connected in the right spots. No, never mind that would NEVER happen:p

airedale

think i did that.....goin to go do it again though......have to pull the side panel off in the storage comp. to look at some plumbing lines that were frozen and will check the sat connections when i do.....also behind the tv.....again ...tnks for the ideas.....pete