What's a good compressor to buy?

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Will all of the emphasis that was placed on proper tire inflation at the rally this year, and the fact that many of us are running trailer tires at 110 psi, what is a good compressor that will deliver this within a reasonable time without breaking the bank? Since I seldom dry camp, it would not matter to me if it were 12 or 110 volt. It needs to be small and light enough to travel in the storage area.

jpmorgan37

Hello Chuck;
I've been using this for over a year now. http://www.campbellhausfeld.net/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&productId=58839&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=10643 It's not super fast but will inflate one of our tire up to the 110 mark. I had a tire go down on my Seabreeze and it pumped it from zip to 80 pounds on one charge. I have used it to top off my tires on my Grand Canyon several times and it does the job. The thing I like about it is it is small and not too heavy.

John

svd

RV-Ramblers,
You might want to test that air brush compressor to see if it will meet your needs for tires. Usually a compressor like that is capable of higher volumes, but lower pressures. You might find that it will only build 30 or 40 psi, and then stop. I wouldn't want you to get in a situation where you really need it and it doesn't perform. Good Luck!

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
svd said:
RV-Ramblers,
You might want to test that air brush compressor to see if it will meet your needs for tires. Usually a compressor like that is capable of higher volumes, but lower pressures. You might find that it will only build 30 or 40 psi, and then stop. I wouldn't want you to get in a situation where you really need it and it doesn't perform. Good Luck!

Steve, you are right. However, you must have looked at the link before I had realized my mistake and edited the link. Thanks

HappyKayakers

Compressor sounds like a definite add to my 'must have' list. We just tried to top off the trailer tires at a quickie mart gas station. Their pressure wasn't enough to add air to the tires, it actually bled air from the tire. Had to backtrack 1/2 mile to the campground and beg to use an air compressor capable of going over 100psi.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I bought the Sears 3 gallon 1 hp 120 volt ,125 PSI per recommendations from from RV friends. Seems most 12 volt compressors don't last or have the get-up and go. I'm very pleased so far, keep it my truck bed but will go in the basement , when I get my new 5th.They are about $130.00 regular price,on sale $100 . I figured if I need a tire fixed on the highway, thats why I got Good Sams Ins. and I check tires before I leave CG with electric.

cdbMidland

I picked up a 4 gallon, 120 V, 125 psi from the Black & Decker outlet at Birch Run MI. It has a cutoff supposedly at 125 psi (actually 121) and a cutin at 95 psi. Found out that if I let it run until it cutoff, I could not get 110 psi in my tire. However, if I filled it as the compressor was running, I could reach 110 psi on all 4 tires.

I did take the unit back to see if others would reach 125 for the cutoff, and the next one also quit at 121.

So, as long as I can make it work, I'm sticking with it. Price was $89.95.

Interesting fact is that on my Heartland tag, it shows I should run at 80 psi, but the link to Discount Tire states that we should run at the max tire pressure shown on the sidewall, which is 110. This jibes with what the fellow from Weigh-It stated at his vendor presentation.

jpmorgan37

I've had one of these for over a year. I pumped up a almost flat 80 psi tire. It took about 15 minutes but did the job. One thing that you need to do is to recharge the battery about every three months. It's a good, light weight portable compressor for emergency conditions.

John

cdbMidland

The price looks great. How many psi will it deliver? How long does it take to get to that maximum?

jpmorgan37

Hi Chuck;

Go back up and read my response in post 2. I still use it to top off the tires on my Grand Canyon at 110 psi when necessary. It does that usually in several minutes.

John

ct0218

I just purchased a nice compressor at Sam's Club this week. It was a Michelin brand, not sure who actually made it though. Very compact and heavy (about 20-25 lbs), and appears to be very well built. 110 psi rated, gauge, extension, direct battery hookup, long cord and coiled hose, quick connect fittings, carrying bag for the compressor and accessories, about $90.