Water Heater Issues

hddcyclone

When I winterized my 3010 to leave North Dakota it was dark and I just flipped the switch in the water heater cabinet to the down (I presumed off) position when i drained it out. It sat cold over Christmas for 3 weeks and when I set it up in Kansas yesterday I realized that it was actually in the ON position the whole time. The electric heater doesn't work anymore, does this mean the element just burned out?

2010augusta

There should be 2 switches for the electric side of the water heater, on outside at the water heater and one inside, both have to be on for it to work. if it was not plugged in to 110 volt it should not have burned out the element

If it was plugged into 110 and the water heater was empty and the switches were both on, it would take less than a minute to burn out the element.

you might also check the breakers and reset switches on the water heater.

lwmcguir

There should be a SS replacement element available that is much better and will give you a few minutes before it burns out when dry. Most large hardware stores carry the 120V units. They are the same/similar that the under counter hot water heater use.

Rrloren

How can I determine if my electric heating element is good? I inadvertently turned on the propane the other day with no water in the tank. It was on for maybe 3 or 4 minutes. I have an Actron meter but not sure how to determine if the element is OK.

porthole

Retired
Find an outlet near the heater switches. While reading the voltage of the outlet - turn the heater on, you should see a slight voltage drop.

Don't forget the water :D

Turning on the propane should not have damaged the electric element.

The good news is that the elements are inexpensive (compared to the price of a new heater) and easy to change. Besides Camping World you should be able to find them at Lowe's or Home Depot or local hardware store.

2010augusta

the quick and simple way would be to fill the water heater and turn it on. if it gets hot its still good. This would require you to re-winterize though.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
It dosn't take long to burn one up with no water in the tank. I know because I have done it!! They are easy to replace.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Pull out the element. Take an OHM reading across the element. If it is open - it's fried! But, best way like Alan said. Fill it with water, turn on both switches - if everything is working, it'll get hot. Make sure breakers are on and you are getting power to the heater.

Rrloren

I used my meter and got 10.7 reading across the contacts with the element in place and hooked up. If I did it right I'm guessing it's good?

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I don't know what the reading should be, butit's definitely NOT open. I would think that's a good one. Can you verify whether you get power -120V - to the heater. Make sure it's full of water, turn both switches on, check for 120VAC on those contacts. It may even be a limit switch or thermostat keeping power from the element.

Unfortunately, I've never been into mine.

Rrloren

I think I'll pickup a new element and keep it as a spare. I won't be able to run the heater till later in Feb. when we make our first trip in 2010. Looks pretty simple to replace if need be.
Thanks for all the help.

lwmcguir

I used my meter and got 10.7 reading across the contacts with the element in place and hooked up. If I did it right I'm guessing it's good?

Curious as to what scale your meter was on when you tested it. You can test them in place as well.

Rrloren

The only place it would read was on the Ohm settings located at the bottom leftside on my meter. I guess thats the right setting?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

If you are checking for continuity in the element, you must disconnect the wires, or turn off the breaker before checking. Reason being, there may be something else in your coach that is closing the circuit. And of course, disconnect from shore power before you do any testing.

Peace
Dave

Rrloren

I turned off the circuit breaker and still get 10.7 on the ohms meter.I suppose that means the circuit is intact?
Sorry to drag this out but I'm curious now and don't want to fill the hot water tank and then re-winterize.

SpaGuru

Power to the load and either the load works or it dosent. If there is no water around the element, you can unhook the wires from the element and check for an ohm reading across the terminals. If you have any reading of restiance, the element is not completely burned out. There still could be a short or burnt spot on the element which could short out when the element is submerged in water. The best way to check the element is to run the heater and take an amp draw on the element wires for a true reading. A leak-to-ground test is also a good idea if the element is not on a GFCI protected circuit. Ohms law - volts x amps = watts or watts / volts = amps...