Bedroom TV mount?

sputnick10

First Time Fulltimers
We have a 19in LCD tv for the bedroom of out 2009 Landmark Cape Cod... We bought a mount for it but I have no idea how to attach it and a search of the threads found no info... :(

Can I mount this to the wall, what is in the wall behind the tv nook in the upper cabinets? What type of screws would I use, how long could they be? Or do I need to attach it to the side of the cabinet?

Please help!

2010augusta

Here are a couple shots of how ours was mounted from the factory. The TV has been attached to a covered board and the board is attached to two 1x1" board that are attached to the sides of the two cabnets.

DSCN0004.JPG

DSCN0005.JPG

(please ignor the dust):eek:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ryan, what type of mount did you get? We don't have the same TV cabinet but our cantilever type mount would work on either side of the cabinet shown in 2010Augusta's pictures. Here are a couple shots of ours. This type of mount allows access to the entire area behind the cabinet for cabling etc.

Attachments

• 100_0477.JPG
    100_0477.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 100_0480.JPG
    100_0480.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_0476.JPG
    100_0476.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 99

sputnick10

First Time Fulltimers
Ryan, what type of mount did you get? We don't have the same TV cabinet but our cantilever type mount would work on either side of the cabinet shown in 2010Augusta's pictures. Here are a couple shots of ours. This type of mount allows access to the entire area behind the cabinet for cabling etc.

I had that type, but the arm was not long enough to mount on the cabinets, so I returned it for just the tilting kind... and bought some wood to create the mounting point like Alan's... I just want to cover it with the same type of wallpaper so it blends in better... if I can find that wallpaper anywhere... I went all around town down here and can't find anything around here! We sure are not in the big city anymore!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here are a couple shots of how ours was mounted from the factory. The TV has been attached to a covered board and the board is attached to two 1x1" board that are attached to the sides of the two cabnets.

DSCN0004.JPG

DSCN0005.JPG

(please ignor the dust):eek:

Dust? I thought that was the gargoyle upchucking a furball :D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had that type, but the arm was not long enough to mount on the cabinets, so I returned it for just the tilting kind... and bought some wood to create the mounting point like Alan's... I just want to cover it with the same type of wallpaper so it blends in better... if I can find that wallpaper anywhere... I went all around town down here and can't find anything around here! We sure are not in the big city anymore!
How about using some beige colored carpet runner? Available at home centers everywhere. Staple it to the backboard.

jbeletti

Ryan and Sarah,

The wall is 1/8" luan, glued to an aluminum stud wall with block foam insulation between the studs. There is not likely any backer material in the wall in the space behind the TV area, since we do not mount factory ordered TVs to the wall directly.

Alan has shared with you how we do our TV mounting so that's always an option for you.

Still others have in fact mounted a TV to the wall itself. Using a stud finder, you "may" find a stud in that area. If it's not near the center of the cavity, I'd be leary of mounting to it.

Consider this:

1. Screw vertical wood cleats to the ends of the two cabinets where they meet the wall
  2. Secure your mount to a board that will fit between the cabinets
  3. Screw the board to the cleats
  4. Finish in some manner to match
  5. Mount TV to mount
The risk is yours, just tossing out some additional ideas.

Jim

sputnick10

First Time Fulltimers
Ryan and Sarah,

The wall is 1/8" luan, glued to an aluminum stud wall with block foam insulation between the studs. There is not likely any backer material in the wall in the space behind the TV area, since we do not mount factory ordered TVs to the wall directly.

Alan has shared with you how we do our TV mounting so that's always an option for you.

Still others have in fact mounted a TV to the wall itself. Using a stud finder, you "may" find a stud in that area. If it's not near the center of the cavity, I'd be leary of mounting to it.

Consider this:

1. Screw vertical wood cleats to the ends of the two cabinets where they meet the wall
  2. Secure your mount to a board that will fit between the cabinets
  3. Screw the board to the cleats
  4. Finish in some manner to match
  5. Mount TV to mount
The risk is yours, just tossing out some additional ideas.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I did mount it just like you described above... I used stain grade pine, but have not decided if I will stain or cover it with something... I think I want to cover it so I do not see the screws. I only had my skill saw so the edges are not up to my standards :eek: so covering it will make that disappear...

Attachments

• DSC02219.JPG
    DSC02219.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC02220.JPG
    DSC02220.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 82

sputnick10

First Time Fulltimers
Looks very nice and you even have room for a DVD player or Dish receiver below.

Those cabinets are way too shallow to hold anything!!! That is one thing we did not really notice until after we got it. I have the dish receiver up on top so we don't hit it walking around the bed...

jbeletti

Check out this mod (attached images). I don't remember the guy's name, but I snapped these in a unit at the SoCal rally in Buellton, CA in November 2009.

He did an awesome job with this shelf extension and matched the finish perfectly.

Jim

Attachments

• DSC07499.jpg
    DSC07499.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC07500.jpg
    DSC07500.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC07501.jpg
    DSC07501.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC07502.jpg
    DSC07502.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 77

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Good job Jaime. I like the way you finished the wood to match the cabinets.