Loose Wires at the Breaker--Please Check

busted2341

Scott,

I just wanted to let you know that I believe your QC problems still exist. On my 3055, while camping one morning my GFI plug tripped. It would not reset. I took it apart and with a volt meter found no voltage to the plug. I pulled the breaker panel cover, because the breaker did not break and saw the wire to the GFI had never been tightened. I surmised the wire was intermitted shorting and finally had enough and melted the insulation off the wire. Upon checking I found 3 others that had not been tightened and could have caused a major fire. I took some pics with my cell but I can't figure out how to place them on the net. I would urge all others and especially Heartland to check the wires going into the breaker box and assure they are clamped down tight. My particular wire got hot enough to melt about 2" of insultation. I plan on including this with my other minor repairs...After tightning the wire in it's place I am powered up for now, but alittle unsure. I will request my dealer do a complete electrical check of all the wires to make sure no other shorts or problems are apparent. I am only advising you of a potential Hazard and nothig more. Please make sure all wires are completly secure.
Last edited by busted2341 : 1 Week Ago at 06:28 PM. Reason: Wrong sub-title

Scott

Thanks for the heads up. I will pass this info on the electrical department and inspectors. When QC does the electrical check, they test the circuits and breakers and do a test for shorts. A screw that is loose, or may become loose after just a few road trips can be hard to pinpoint by an inspector.
So we will talk with the electrical department foreman to make sure he stays on the guys to tighten them as much as possible, which can be tricky, because "too tight" often results in cracked pieces.

phranc

had a GFCI trip and would not reset..Thanks to all who posted about loose wires in breaker box ,I was able to point dealer in right direction..And,,sure enough ,, loose wires in breaker box

kognito

From what I have learned, this is a problem with most rigs, regardless of class (A, B, C, TT, or 5th wheel) I drop my panel every year when de-winterizing and check all connections (AC and DC). Things loosen while bouncing down the road. When we start full timing, I guess I will do this more regularly.

Be smart, and safe, and you can check your connections yourself. I doubt anyone at Heartland (or any other manufacturer) wires components poorly, but "stuff" happens on the highway.