Fifthwheel to Gooseneck Adapter

I am looking at buying a new Bighorn 3670RL. Can I safely pull this unit using a fifthwheel to gooseneck adapter or do i need to invest in a fifthwheel hitch for my truck? Thanks for any comments and help.

caissiel

Just my opinion,
might be safe to get a R&W companion 5th wheel setup installed.
Unless you ask HL to design it strong enough.

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share.

As far as I know, using a gooseneck converter will void your frame warranty.
They do not recommend using a converter, and I can see that it would put unnecessary pressure on the hitch pin area when starting and stopping. But, there are some that do use the gooseneck converter.

If you need more information, just ask, someone will answer.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

PSF513

5er to Gooseneck Connection

Good morning. I have a B&W Companion hitch in my F-250. It is a combination gooseneck and 5er connection. It is an awesome unit that changes from 5er to gooseneck or back with 5 bolts and pulling a release pin in the fenderwell of your TV. Very simple. I would strongly recomment this unit to do what you are describing

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I have heard

I have heard that this practice puts a lot of stress on the 5er mount. Don't know for sure, just something I have heard before.

lwmcguir

I am looking at buying a new Bighorn 3670RL. Can I safely pull this unit using a fifthwheel to gooseneck adapter or do i need to invest in a fifthwheel hitch for my truck? Thanks for any comments and help.

Charlie, the first thing is that the moment you put the GN adapter on what ever pin box you choose Lippert voids the warranty. Having said that we have pulled all of our trailer the past 35 years that were Fith Wheels with GN adapters. No issues what so ever but they apparently are made a bit heavier than what Lippert turns out now. We have seen many HL products with GN adapters on them and we use one as well. If you use a air type pin box it takes a lot of the stress off the frame where the pin box mounts. We are pulling our Augusta that way and the next camper will be towed the same way. Most likely it wont have a Lippert frame unless they beef them up a bit. In our area about 25% of us use the truck for towing heavy trailers so we use the GN ball. The campers are relatively light compared to a loaded stock trailer so we feel comfortable with the only exception being how well the frame is braced on the Lippert frame. My two cents worth on this. Just remember the one year warranty is void when you hook up. Some folks think it it two years and maybe it is for some campers but wasn't for ours.

K

Kevin_Finn

If you use a gooseneck adapter it will void the warranty.

We do not reccommend using any adapters.

trvlrerik

I am using a B/W adaptor and it works great, it allows you to easily switch from gooseneck to fifth wheel trailers with not much fuss.

thomasinnv

I am using a B/W adaptor and it works great, it allows you to easily switch from gooseneck to fifth wheel trailers with not much fuss.

just to clarify for other readers, this is a companion hitch which goes in the truck in place of the gooseneck ball and in no way alters or affects the pinbox on the trailer. this will NOT void the trailer warranty. they make a very good quality product. this is what i would recommend if you have to have a goose neck for other reasons.

Thanks for all the info. I will be looking at the B & W gooseneck adapter for my new Bighorn. Hope to be joining the family soon. I have found lots of great information on this site to help me with my decision to buy a Heartland product.

Again thanks to all......................Charlie

lwmcguir

BW makes a great product. We have used the turn over ball for years and no issues what so ever. The GN adapter is good as well as the earlier post stated.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
If you are looking for a nice setup, I have a Pullrite 18K auto glide for sale right now and it will solve all your problems. Just let me know if you are interested.

thomasinnv

Thanks for all the info. I will be looking at the B & W gooseneck adapter for my new Bighorn. Hope to be joining the family soon. I have found lots of great information on this site to help me with my decision to buy a Heartland product.

the B&W companion fifth wheel hitch will only work for you if you already have the B&W goose-neck setup in your truck. otherwise, you will need to change the entire goose-neck hitch assembly under the bed.

smday

Lets get this straight. Your going to get the adaptor after Kevin Finn from Heartland said it would VOID your warranty:confused::confused::confused:. I would rather buy a new 5vr hitch than void my warranty. Just my 2 cents though.

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
I am a very happy user of the B&W turnover ball and companion hitch. I am not aware of any gooseneck adapter in their catalog.

In fact, down on the left hand side they post a disclaimer against using any gooseneck adapter.

Me thinks that Charlie is using the term to describe the companion hitch.

IMHO

caissiel

I broke a Pin Box Frame member before on an older SOB trailer, and I would not pull any make 5th wheel with the adapter.
The frame is not engineered to take the push and pull 18" away. My old SOB trailer had no allowable factor of safety, for the regular pin box, and it was not manufacture right. 2 strikes against the survival of the frame.
If you calculate the combined forces you would feel like me, scared for anyone using this setup. It scares me to see them in parking lots.

truknutt

Committed Member
I am a very happy user of the B&W turnover ball and companion hitch. I am not aware of any gooseneck adapter in their catalog.

In fact, down on the left hand side they post a disclaimer against using any gooseneck adapter.

Me thinks that Charlie is using the term to describe the companion hitch.

IMHO

Me thinks so, too! He speaks from the GN owner's point of view (cause that's what he uses most of the time) where the adapter is the 5th wheel plate, whereas a 5th wheel owner looks at the adapter as the part used to hook their pin to a GN ball. It's all perspective or which end of the horse you happen to be standing at! :D

caissiel

The ball advantage is for the truck to be loaded also, the 5th wheel is to big to allow room in the box. Look at what the transports are using, can you Imaging shunting with a ball.

Sorry all, HarleyRyder and truknutt are right, I meant that I will be getting the B&W 5th wheel companion hitch for the gooseneck turn-over-ball I already have installed in the flatbed on my truck. It was a poor explanation on my part. Thanks for the correction guys and all the responses. What a great family you all are.

Charlie

smday

Great to hear. Must keep the warranty as long as you can. Never know when you need it.