What a lesson!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I have used the K&N induction system on my F250 SD (year 2000 7.3PSD) and thought nothing about it. I began research about 2 months ago and have dug up horror stories about these systems. Mine was, repeat was NOT a cold air intake and this in itself will reduce power. I then began a painstaking journey through the absolute hundreds of filters that can and can't filter air. I was amazed that AC Delco filtered the BEST for replacement paper. Then I found a MotorCraft product that has been out for some time and is manufactured by Donaldson's. The MotorCraft FA1759 (approved by Ford) AIS (air induction system) is a complete replacement package (replaces all the original box) and is considered the best extreme filtering system out there. The filters are spendy but last quite a while and NOTHING gets through. It is on my 7.3 now and it and myself breath a little better. It is a true dry filter cold air induction system.

rvn4fun

Tymar

I purchased a Banks system for my 97 Powerstroke and it came with a KN air filter. After researching this, I was disturbed by the fact that it said that the dirtier they were the better they filtered. This bothered me, what does a clean filter do then? So I switched to the little know and resonable Tymar air system, been happy with it since 98

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Not a new issue. K&N, banks, and almost all other aftermarket filters are designed to flow more air than stock filters. most of thier claims of more air flow are true, but this is done at the expense of letting more dirt thru. Well documented in pretty much every test done on them. its all about choice, you either want better air flow or better engine protection.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
As I was told once

a K&N filter is the best racing filter made......designed to filter for 500 miles plus one foot.........ONCE!

caissiel

I had a K & N on the 90 GM 6.2L for 3 years, sure beats having to change filter every oil change. The truck might still be running after at least 350K. Gained 10 MPH in the hills while hauling the RV. Had a K & N in my 98 6.5L GM for 9 years, cleaned it once. And its true that any filter cleans much better with age then new, until it plugs up. The GM stock filter in the 90's were to easy to plug up because they were designed for gas truck, same as the Dodges were. Diesels draws 2 to 3 times more air then a gas.

Ford's Donaldson filters are the best, I believe GM's are the same. My Ford filter has been there for the last 3 years and still is light enough, so no sign of plugging. Will change it soon anyway, hate to see an old filter there in case it bursts.