Electric Brake Controller

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Is there a recommended brand and model ?
I will be towing a North Trail 21fbs with a 2003 Dodge 1500 quad cab with hemi and factory tow package (4 wheel ABS brakes).
Thanks

branson4020

Icantre Member
I'm happy with my Tekonsha P3, but whatever brand you choose, get one that is "proportional control" as opposed to simple inertia type.

caissiel

Good advice, No price for safety. I need a new controller, and I have been studying the different brands, Tekonsha P3 looks like my first choice. Also I found the that they make most models carried by other brands. Prodigy model looks like a good one to.

2010augusta

We just use the intergrated brake controller that is built into the Ford dash. It has worked well for everything from a empty 20' flatbed to the 16,500# Landmark.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We had a Prodigy in our last truck and loved it. Use the built in controller now.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Hey,

Don't the 2010 Dodge trucks also have a built-in brake controller? Any built-in controller is gonna be better than the best after market controller.

nscaler2

I agree

I agree...great brake controller....Too bad it hooked up to a Ferd!!:D

Randy I have to agree with you. My brake controller is great the truck is trash. Had to have power steering hose replaced because of a leak at 15000, a new transmission and torque converter at 28000, a new EGR valve and EGR cooler at 40000. Can't afford to get rid of it or I would. Fix Or Repair Daily --- Found On Road Dead. Just waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
hi, is that brake controller the same thing I got on my 2008 Ford F-250 they call it a tow/ haul? I press the button and it downs shifts if i touch the brakes.

thomasinnv

hi, is that brake controller the same thing I got on my 2008 Ford F-250 they call it a tow/ haul? I press the button and it downs shifts if i touch the brakes.

no, that is not a brake controller. all that does is change how the transmission shifts to assist in engine braking and heavy hauling. the brake controller is a stand alone electronic device. the factory ford units are in the center part of the dash i believe. somewhere under the vicinity of the stereo. If i am not close someone that has one will chime in.

palebluedot

We have been using the Tekonsha Prodigy since 2003. Used it on the previous Montana and now on the BH. It works great and never had a problem. I read somewhere that Tekonsha manufactures Ford's integrated unit. I'll have to see if I can find that article again. Don't know about the P3 - is it an upgraded Prodigy?

Delaine and Lindy

Tenkosha P-3 ....

I highly recomend the Tenkosha Prodigy, I have used the same Podigy in 3 GMs and now its being used in the Frieghtliner. The Tenkosha P-3 is the latest upgrade from Tenkosha, it uses the accelerometers instead of the pendulums to measure the rate of the tow vehicle braking and will apply the braking to the trailer. It will give smooth stopping when heavy braking of the tow vehicle. You can also switch from electric, to electric over hydraulic with out resetting the controler. Since I have several different trailers that require electric and the 5th wheel is electric over hydraulic I will be getting a Tenkosha P-3 before our Western trip in June. GBY....

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Ok folks, I seem to not much trouble braking, maybe because I drive so slowly, but if the brake controller is a product I should investigate, my question is will Ford void my warranty, and why didn't they have that as an option on the 2008's like mine?