Torquing aluminum wheels

ct0218

I just bought a torque wrench for my Landmark wheels. At the present time the coach is 500 miles away, and in 3 weeks I will be back to hook up and head out. Not much time to run around and gather anything I need, and I have no idea what size socket I need for the lug nuts. I assume I will need an extension to keep the angle as close to 90 degrees as possible. These are the 7000 lb axles, anyone know for sure the lug size?

jbeletti

Clark,

We have the same rig, albeit mine is s/n 378. The lugs on my aluminum wheels are 7/8". I have yet to buy a torque wrench for these lugs. Using the 7/8" hole on my 4-way for now.

Have a safe trip back to the mountains!

Jim

BigBlue

BigBlue
We don't use a torque wrench either. I've found if you have to take the wheel off and put it back on, you just check the wheel within the first 50 miles and then again at 100 miles after that. By then they don't move anymore and they're good till you have to take them off again. I use a 4-way as Jim does and just tighten the nuts as you would on your car.

ct0218

Thanks Jim. Actually headed to Amish country in Ohio, mid-Michigan to visit Gail's long lost relatives, then by Heartland, and finally back to Tallahassee for Gail to live in until she retires next year. This trip should be a good shakedown for us. I have a couple of minor things for Heartland to take care of ILO my dealer, hopefully nothing else will show up. Gail wants to head to Alaska for a long vacation (2+ months) the day she retires. I think I'm going to invest in some oil stocks.

ct0218

Thanks Jim (Bigblue). I have a 4 way, guess I just wanted another tool. Nice looking 4500 you have there. Saw one yesterday on I-75 with a pickup body and it looked like OEM, never saw one on a lot though. Probably an upfitter or customizer, sure was nice. Is yours gas or diesel? Mileage towing/solo?

ChopperBill

I have the aluminum wheels and it take a 13/16. X wrench wont work! To fat on the outside. Need a deep well socket or a short extension to go in the hole.. Yours may vary however.

ct0218

Not really--its based on the Topkick (GMC) model--its quite a bit bigger. Tough parking it at Walmart and such. The P/U bed appeared to be 9 or 10 ft long. Nothing like the Ford 450 and 550, entirely different frame and body.

driver311

still has a pickup motor and transmission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! until u get to 6500 and get a cumins it still a pickup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

driver311None None

BigBlue

BigBlue
The c4500 isn't just a pickup. Even though it's got the 8.1 liter engine and the Allison transmission, it's not the same engine. A lot of the parts are beefed up so you can't order a 3500 part and expect it to fit.
The frame and the suspension are also beefed up.
We like it becasue it handles the Monticello without straining. We sit up high so you can see the traffic. My wife feels safe in it so that's the main thing.

ct0218: Mine is a gas engine. I didn't want the deisel. I'm getting 7.2 mpg as an average. Tank by tank is tough because I've had it as low as 5 mpg when towing and I've had it as high as 11 mpg not towing. Mpg is very sensitive to where and how you're driving so I just monitor my long term mpg to make sure I'm not getting worse. They told me I'd be getting 5 to 7 mpg when I bought it. Since I'm at 7.2, I consider I'm doing good

driver311

dont let anyone tell u it is a different engine and trany!!!!!!!!!!! because it isnt. i will agree u set higher but the fuel mileage cant pay for that high felling..............

driver311None None

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Hi ct0218
My lugs are 13/16s, I do own a torgue wrench and would not rely on a four way. My paperwork that came with the new rims, Aluminum by the way, the third set of rims, states the torgue should be 120 flbs. So check with the manufactuer of your rims for the correct torque.
And BIGBLUE it may be just a big truck, but it will tow alot more weight than all our duallies, and it looks nice too.

JoeW4300

Hi Jim,
I think you may under estimate the importance of proper torquing of your wheel lug nuts. For all wheels there is a proper sequence and procedure to follow. Our last fiver had a DVD included on proper torque and procedure. This shouldn't be a hit or miss operation. There are a number of ways to lose a wheel, one of which is a loose lug nut and another is broken studs. Both can be the result of improper torquing. As part of our pre-trip inspection we check tire pressures each trip and lug nut torque as per the recommended schedule. For the most part your advise is adequate but torquing is more important than you seem to indicate.
Regards,
Joe

Delaine and Lindy

BigBlue, Nice Truck, I had a 2006 Chevy Kodiak with the Duramax/Allison. I would still have it if it weren't for the problem of the right side mirror, DW has a eye problem and had a problem with the right side mirror. Our Kodiak was upfitted in Elkhart Ind. by Chariot Vans Inc. It had all options Link Air ride suspension and air ride seats, Alcoa Aluminum wheels and 98 Gal in-bed fuel tank and the seats were awesome. I also got solid 10 mpg at 68 mph. I can assure you the suspension is different from the Pick-ups 3500 series, now the Duramax/Allison are about the same, the rear gear is a lot different. It was a awesome Truck. I only buy GM Trucks, thats my choice and have owned 5 Duramax's since Jan 05, and haven't ever had any problems. I have been told that the 2500HD and the 3500HD are the same Truck? Well if it is then so be it, I prefer the 3500HD DRW's. With the Landmark I have to watch my weight very close and am right at the limit. The 2500HD that we owned wouldnt' handle the Landmark. And I know there are plenty out there towing large 5th wheels with the 2500HD's. Again thats a choice, right or wrong they are out there. If your happy then thats what counts. I am very happy to live in this Country and have the choices we have. I Live every day as if its the first and last day of my life. BigBlue take a look at our Web site and you can see the Kodiak. GBY...

I do see were Dodge is going to step up into the MDT world, I think they bought the MDT line from GM???? I still don't understand that decision????

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Actually, International bought the GM MDT truck line. I saw a press release the other day. Will try to find it and post a link.
Fred

lwmcguir

Jim, I see you weigh in on a lot of items with good responses for folks. I have the axle issue and a Lippert fellow is going to come to GE NE to look at it after I do some work on it at home to make it safe to tow. How can I find out if I have the right axlles? It appear they are about 1/2 inch short whic is the cause of my bent center spring support? Love the camper but would really like to use it. Thanks Larry

jbeletti

Larry - you are already on the right track working with your Dealer, Lippert and Heartland. Stay the course you are on.

Jim