Saved by the Flush King.

2010augusta

Well today was "dump day" for me. I went out side and pull the black tank valve handle, and everything went well for about 30 second or so, then it stopped!

I had the built in tank flush system hooked up and flowing, but nothing was flowing in the stinky slinky. I felt the hose and it was indeed empty, so that meant that the blockage was at the valve or in the tank outlet.

I open and closed the valve several times, but nothing changed, At this time I had flashes of HT Neighbors problem with the cable pulling out of the valve. Sorry HT, but we don't got an extra bath.

I decided that the only hope I would have to fix this issue was to go and get a Flush King. I had thought about getting one before but had never seen the real need for one.

After a trip to Tacoma to CW to get one, I hook it up and crossed my fingers. I let it back flush for a minute or two and then opened the valve. I had never been so happy see sewage before.

The Flush King worked great. After getting the black tank clean and flowing well; I decided to give the grey tanks a back flush too. I was very surprised at the amount of "stuff" that flowed out of the grey tanks with the help of a back flush.

This little devise is something that I always thought was a bit of a gimmick, but it really works well and I would recommend that everyone get on before it is needed.

2010augusta

Okay, here is a link to the item at Camping World.

flush_king.jpg

Jellystone

I've heard that those work well. Another good one is the HYDRO FLUSH. About 8 months ago I was "kicking" around the Camping World in Hammond, LA and I threw one in my basket just to try it out. Like you, Alan, I was surprised at the results. It was about half the price of the Flush King as well.

smday

We had one to like that. Ours didn't have the gate valve though. It shot a stream of water straight into the tanks. Nice feature especially that it is see through so that you know when all the crap is gone.

irvin56

I have a Flush King valve setup

and will never be without one. Great for backflushing tanks.

I have filled my tanks full enought that it starts to rise in bathtub.
Then back flushed waste tank a couple times. Amazing how much does not come out with just dumping.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Some models come with the gate valve, others do not. Depending on what the parts store has in stock, it's simply a matter of picking up a twist-on gate valve to complete the device. I've had a DrainKing for years (on the second one after the hose valve broke). I added a gate valve to it. Makes the total cost about the same, either way.

But as Alan found out, sometimes the tank rinser only fills the tank if the drain opening has a major logjam. Pushing it back in is the only way to break it up and clear it. Maybe cut down on the fiber or drop a prune down the toilet.:D

SilverRhino

A few years back I was in the same situation as Alan...fortunately, a kind camper came over to see what I was doing. I explained my problem and he said he could fix it quickly.

He came back from his unit with a Flush King set-up and I kind of laughed. I didn't think that it was going to do anything...the crow pie was worth having an empty tank!

I immediately went into town and purchased one and have used it since. Sometimes simple is the best, and thank God for willingness of campers to help out and share their expertise. :)

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
There are several elbows and direction changes in my drain line between my tank and the outlet. How would this work with alll the turns?

Detmer

The Flush King valve works great. I was having problems with my tank sensors not working properly. A friend let me use his Flush King. Fixed the problem easily. Now I have my own.
Best price I found was online at Tweety's.

2010augusta

There are several elbows and direction changes in my drain line between my tank and the outlet. How would this work with alll the turns?
The Flush King would still work with as many turns and elbows as you want. with the extra valve on the down-stream side it just fills all the pipes all the way back to the tank and then starts filling the tank. It was able to dislodge the clog that we had in our tank.

HT, You making any progress with your issue?

irvin56

I works by hydrostatic pressure difference

One tank is fuller then the other one.

Thats why I fill my tank till starts to fill tub.

Tub is 2 feet higher then tank level in black tank.
meaning more pressure to push stuff back up gate valve.

Example= Take a clear piece of hose.
fill 3/4 with water. plug one end of hose with you finger.
raise open end up into air. higher then pluged end.
then release finger. you will see the level will drop so it is equal level.
this is how it pushed everything back into tank untill it is level in both tanks.

I do this everytime I dump.
Dump black. close flush king open grey for maybe 30 secs.
then close grey. open flushking. drain then repeat again.

then drain both.
Back frushing black tank at least twice.

SueJean

Warning! "Stupid user error" possible.

Greetings! ;)

We also have this device having picked it up in a little RV store somewhere. I'm not sure which brand we have exactly, but we have two places to screw on a hose and the gate/valve and it's clear plastic.

We use it about once a month and find that it's very helpful for keeping the tank clear. I also highly recommend it.

Now here's the "warning" part!

The last time we needed to flush out the black tank, DH hooked up the device and we patiently watched and waited for clear water to flow. Then DH closed the gate/valve leaving it connected and we hustled ourselves inside as it was a bit chilly outside.

BIG MISTAKE! :eek:

We always leave our grey water tanks open while sitting as I do a load of laundry almost every other day or so. The washing machine is fully capable of flooding the tank after a couple of showers and a load of dishes.

The next morning I got up to do my usual routine as DH drove off to play golf. I was sitting down to check my e-mail when I noticed strange sounds coming from the kitchen sink. I've already had the experience of backfilling the trailer from the washing machine so I jumped up and ran around looking at all the drains. I knew the gray valves were open. :confused:

What I didn't know was that DH had left the flush thingie hooked up with the gate/valve shut. Fortunately, I figured it out just as the water reached the bottom of the shower drain and I was able to avoid another day sponging soggy carpet. :angel:

Bottom line: I highly recommend hooking the thing up only when you're going to be doing a flush and then unhooking it and putting it away. :eek: This will remove any opportunity for mistakes. (my two cents)

Blessings,

SueJean (and DannyLee)

JohnDar

A few years back I was in the same situation as Alan...fortunately, a kind camper came over to see what I was doing. I explained my problem and he said he could fix it quickly.

He came back from his unit with a Flush King set-up and I kind of laughed. I didn't think that it was going to do anything...the crow pie was worth having an empty tank!

I immediately went into town and purchased one and have used it since. Sometimes simple is the best, and thank God for willingness of campers to help out and share their expertise. :)

Funny, last summer I ran into an older couple with a TT parked across from us with a similar problem as they were preparing to decamp. He was talking about taking his rig (fairly new) to the dealer to get it fixed, complete with a full black tank. Between my DrainKing and toilet wand (I had him to that), several large wads of tp came out and the tank drained properly.

cgunn

Flush King

Say guys...
What is your take on the extra valve at the Flush King??
Is It required or does it work better with one?
Mine doesn't have one but if it performs better...
Maybe I need one.....ya know...... :confused::confused::confused:

JohnDar

Say guys...
What is your take on the extra valve at the Flush King??
Is It required or does it work better with one?
Mine doesn't have one but if it performs better...
Maybe I need one.....ya know...... :confused::confused::confused:

You need to have that shut off valve between the Flush King (or whichever device you get) and the sewer hose itself. Otherwise, you cannot backfill the plumbing to the tank. Some models of the adapter do not have a gate valve and you just buy a twist on one and you get the same function. The garden hose connection allows you to direct the stream either up the plumbing, down the sewer hose (to rinse), or OFF.

As mentioned in some earlier posts, if you're using it, don't leave it unattended. Same as closing your dump valve with the tank flusher running. Not good.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Been using one for years! It works great! It is surprising what additional particulate it manages to remove from the tank. Never leave home without it!

Happy Camping!