Ches. Bay bridge tunnel

jmaguire

Has anyone taken a 35DSRL through the bay bridge tunnel? It is listed at 12'11" and we are planning a trip this summer through the tunnel.

jmaguire

It lists tunnel max height at 13'6" and the factory lists us at 12'11", but I am going to measure just to be sure.

jmaguire

We are going to Hatteras in late June. Would like to make a rally, but I am a school teacher and getting off of work is a pain. Our dates are usually mid June to mid August. The rest of the season we do the more local trips.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We are going to Hatteras in late June. Would like to make a rally, but I am a school teacher and getting off of work is a pain. Our dates are usually mid June to mid August. The rest of the season we do the more local trips.

John,

We're working on a Chapter Rally in Virginia for mid-August. Hopedully the dates will line up and you'll be able to join us. Keep an eye out for the announcement.

Gus

Northern Virginia
I been across/through it several times in our Landmark (13'2"). It is a stressful 17 mile ride, especially when you pass the big rigs in the tunnel.

They have height sensors at the toll plaza.

John

cjhicks

Has anyone taken a 35DSRL through the bay bridge tunnel? It is listed at 12'11" and we are planning a trip this summer through the tunnel.

John,We have taken our Bighorn thru the bridge tunnel several times with no problems just take your time and you will be fine. Hope you can make a Rally at some point in time you will have a great time.:):)

dieselengineer

Charter Member
The Bighorn has been on the bay tunnel a number of time. It looks real close when you are following other rigs. Still have all the A/C units, so I guess there was no problem. On the way in the exhaust brake is barking, on the way out the hammer is down and the black coal is coming out the pipe. Just watch out for high winds. It makes for a fun trip.