Long Trips over. Now to enjoy the new 3850

smday

Well the 6 month venture (searching, buying and picking it up) of getting our new trailer has come to an exhausting end and now it's time to sit back relax and enjoy the new trailer. The wife and i put alot of miles on to get this new toy. 1500 km (932 miles) searching and looking at all Toy Haulers in our area (Alberta). Then another trip to fly to HL plant and the dealer in Michigan. And finally a 5500 km (3400 miles) round trip driving to Michigan to pick it up and to Mor/ryde in Elkhart. And we still saved compared to any so call local Alberta dealers. I also love Mor/ryde's independant suspesion, disc brakes and pin box we put in. Man did that make the ride home smooth. Thanks Porthole for the info you gave me. Now there's not much to do for mods but i am sure i will think of something. First thing when it warms up is 2 solar panels and 4 - 6 volt batteries. We love to dry camp and save the fuel for the TOYS.

caissiel

Do you have mor-ryde on a 3 axles trailer, Dexter does not recommend their independent suspension on tri-axles, because it puts all the load on one axles when you cross over tracks and uneven roads. Not so bad on 2 axles but triple load????
We had tri-axle trailers at work for hauling in the yard and we had lots of flats so we had to go to double axles with the leveling spring system. They carried as much on 2 axles as on 3 axles.

smday

It is on a 3 axle trailer. I would think they (Mor/rde) would have told me not to put it on for safety reasons if it was an issue. But i do see your point. To late now. Hopefully i won't have those problems. knocking on wood right now.:eek:

caissiel

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/f/Design_Considerations.pdf
Torflex axles should not be used in situations requiring more than two axles. These axles are non-equalized and are designed to carry more than their rated load during conditions that place all the load on one axle. This is what happens when traversing uneven operating surfaces such as driveway entries or speed bumps. However, it is not reasonable to expect one axle to carry the load of three or more axles when the foregoing conditions are encountered, even though these instances cause only momentary over-loading.

porthole

Retired
Do you have mor-ryde on a 3 axles trailer, Dexter does not recommend their independent suspension on tri-axles, because it puts all the load on one axles when you cross over tracks and uneven roads. Not so bad on 2 axles but triple load????
We had tri-axle trailers at work for hauling in the yard and we had lots of flats so we had to go to double axles with the leveling spring system. They carried as much on 2 axles as on 3 axles.

Mor/Ryde is a true IS and not a torflex style axle.

Torflex axles are not truly independent. They are 2 independent axle attached to a common tube.

Torflex-Page-Image.jpg

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My buddy had Mor-Ryde IS on his 3 Axle Teton. He had no issues at all with it.

porthole

Retired
When I was at Mor/Ryde I spent the night next to a tri axle trailer that had the Mor/Ryde IS for 15 years or so, maybe longer.

Last edited:

donkey

Congradulations smday. Couple quick questions. How did the Morryde pin box feel. I ordered one for our 2010 3914 to help with the push/pull chucking that I get at times. Second, where are you located in Alberta? I ask because there is a new 3850 at the storage facility only a couple spots down from our new 3914. Same color, looks cool sitting near each other like that.

I'll post a pic later today. Cheers on your new toy(hauler).

smday

The trailer ran smooth on the way 2600 KM trip home. The odd time i had to take a second look to see if was still there.:D We are located in Medicine Hat,AB

dynaguy

Well the 6 month venture (searching, buying and picking it up) of getting our new trailer has come to an exhausting end and now it's time to sit back relax and enjoy the new trailer. The wife and i put alot of miles on to get this new toy. 1500 km (932 miles) searching and looking at all Toy Haulers in our area (Alberta). Then another trip to fly to HL plant and the dealer in Michigan. And finally a 5500 km (3400 miles) round trip driving to Michigan to pick it up and to Mor/ryde in Elkhart. And we still saved compared to any so call local Alberta dealers. I also love Mor/ryde's independant suspesion, disc brakes and pin box we put in. Man did that make the ride home smooth. Thanks Porthole for the info you gave me. Now there's not much to do for mods but i am sure i will think of something. First thing when it warms up is 2 solar panels and 4 - 6 volt batteries. We love to dry camp and save the fuel for the TOYS.

Did you by chance get yours from John at lakeshore rv? we recently bought our 3950 from them and found that its well worth the miles to save!
What brand of solar panels will you be using? we are considering this but I have found that it can be pretty expensive so we are looking for a deal, any advice would be appreciated, Thanks!!