IA to Texas then turn right

fhdally

We are planning our first RV trip. First night in Carthage, MO. We are pulling a 5th wheel with two axles. Does anyone know what the toll will be on I-44 from Missouri border to OK City? Is this the route we want to take?
Thank you.

jimtoo

Hi fhdally,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help.

I have not traveled IH 44, but if it's like the other highways in OK,,, you can bet it is rough. But that looks like the best and most direct route for you and the tolls on some of the other tollways were not that expensive in OK. I used to think Louisiana had the worst roads,,, now I think it is Oklahoma.

I'm sure you will get some more opinions. Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have run the toll roads in Oklahoma several times and cannot remember the exact fee but do remember it was over $20.00. I felt it to be somewhat expensive.

Bob&Ellen

Last April we towed our North Country 26BH, also with two axles, north from Texas to Oklahma City and entered I-44 at OKC. Never again! Of course we've slept since then, but we are remembering that from Oklahoma City to the MO line the toll was $18. They should have been paying us! The road was very rough.
On a similar trip the reverse direction this past Thanksgiving we used the much better roads of the fine state of Arkansas.
We would suggest you avoid Oklahoma's roads if there is an alternative route.

jmgratz

Maybe their roads are the Indians way to get back at us. You know letting their rough roads tear apart our "covered wagons'. :)

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
We would suggest you avoid Oklahoma's roads if there is an alternative route.

Having lived in OKC for the majority of the past 14 years - I would 2nd this motion! :)

Their roads and their taxes are the 2 reasons I'm trying to get away!

LookN4Ward

We are planning our first RV trip. First night in Carthage, MO. We are pulling a 5th wheel with two axles. Does anyone know what the toll will be on I-44 from Missouri border to OK City? Is this the route we want to take?
Thank you.

Not sure of your destination in Texas and if it is pleasure trip to see sights or if you want to be a Winter Texan. Be a little more specific about your destination and you will get plenty of thoughts

fhdally

Wow, thanks for the input. The trip is to take a leisurely month before retirement to see how we like the RV life. Really, we are just looking for someplace warm. We thought we would head towards <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">San Antonio</st1:City> and then maybe <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Arizona</st1:State></st1:place>. Sounds like highway 69 would not be much of an improvement over I-44 through OK. Perhaps we will go via <st1:City w:st="on">Little Rock</st1:City>, then down through <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Dallas</st1:place></st1:City>. Thanks for the info. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

jmgratz

Take I40 through Arkansas and then if you want to head south from Texarkana to Houston you can take US 59 south to Houston. Roads are good that way.