Replacement Tires

trvlrerik

I am starting to look for replacement tires for my 08 F350 srw. The truck had Continentals from the factory (gone in 30k miles). I am currently running Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 275/65r20 and are wearing out just as fast. Does anybody have any experience with the Michelin LTX AT2 tires, they do not look as aggressive as the Goodyears, but I do not do any serious off road running. I almost never tow above 25k and usually am between 22k to 24k. so E rated tires are working for me.

I was just looking for input from somebody not trying to sell me a set of tires.
Thanks
Erik

Rmcgrath53

I just bought 6 michelins for my current truck and am very happy with them.
I had them on my last truck also. I got them at my local Ford dealer. They beat discount tire by 100.00. It really suprised me to find that out. They also will rotate for free which is cool.

lwmcguir

I switched to Michelin's as well. Tried all the others and didn't get the mileage. Have about 30K on the Michelin's and they look like they will run to 50K or so. Much better for sure. Last ones were Firestone and the just make 30K. To darn expensive to get so few miles and the Michelin's aren't much more in cost. I like the less aggressive tread for hi way driving and we have go off the road pretty well also.

tmcran

I am starting to look for replacement tires for my 08 F350 srw. The truck had Continentals from the factory (gone in 30k miles). I am currently running Goodyear Wrangler AT/S 275/65r20 and are wearing out just as fast. Does anybody have any experience with the Michelin LTX AT2 tires, they do not look as aggressive as the Goodyears, but I do not do any serious off road running. I almost never tow above 25k and usually am between 22k to 24k. so E rated tires are working for me.

I was just looking for input from somebody not trying to sell me a set of tires.
Thanks
Erik

Great tires. Have run Michelins for years worth evey penny.

Rrloren

My truck came with Michelin LTX A/S and I have 47000 on two of them and they look like they will go 20k more. I had to replace two of them at 46k because I ran them on the rear for about 20000 miles while towing an 11m lb. trailer which tends to shrub the rear tires. They are actually an All Season tire not All Terrain so I found them quiet and good riding. I'm going to stick with them.

Smokeyfl

Also have the Michelin LTX M/S. Improved the ride and handling under all conditions. Better fuel milage and less noise with the less aggressive tread. Still good traction in the snow with the sidebars.

Two Hands

I put four E rated Goodyear Wranglers on my 2007 Chevy 2500HD diesel and only got about 15,000 miles or less on them before all four sidewalls turned soft. Goodyear gave me what I thought was a pretty good deal by replacing these tires with upgraded Pro Wranglers. I put maybe 10,000 miles on those before they would not stay in balance. Last week I learned that one of the tires had a manufacturing flaw in it so I had to pay another $89 for a new tire. Once I thought about it I realized that I was paying to use defective tires. I won't buy Goodyears again. I will get Michelins like those I put on my Big Horn last year.

trvlrerik

I bought the Michelins as insurance for my trailer to replace the china bombs, these Goodyears are about shot, so I will make my Michelin shop happy to see me yet once again.

Thanks for the input,
Erik

lwmcguir

My truck came with Michelin LTX A/S and I have 47000 on two of them and they look like they will go 20k more. I had to replace two of them at 46k because I ran them on the rear for about 20000 miles while towing an 11m lb. trailer which tends to shrub the rear tires. They are actually an All Season tire not All Terrain so I found them quiet and good riding. I'm going to stick with them.

I have switched to the A/S on one or our trucks as they don't seem to throw gravel and rocks nearly as bad as the more aggressive tread. We still use them on the county/township roads and on the ranch and they are adequate there as well. They are a bit pricey at the tire store but quite a bit cheaper at the discount places. We are at 35k on that set and looks like they will make 60K. By far longer than any other set we have ran.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
On all our commercial rigs we use TOYO so when I replaced my TV tires I put on TOYO 10 ply tread 6 ply sidewalls and never looked back.

caissiel

I have been using any class E tires on my trucks for the past 12 years and no problems. The dually applications seam to have more problem with the GY tires. Wore them to no threads never a flat. SRW trucks have much better tires on the back and front then dually applications.

SilverRhino

My truck came from the factory with GYs. Had to replace all six at 26k...of course we were on the road at the time.

The tire shop in Colorado did not have the proper size GY...they did have the Michelins. So we changed over...the manager of the shop said that GY was not going to warranty my tires at all, because I was not replacing them with GYs...after many phone calls, he finally found a regional manager for GY that would give us credit for the early failure.

I will never buy another GY tire after that experience.

Just my experience.

Travel Safe!

caissiel

I look at the sidewall max pressure setup and thats what I ride with. That includes my cars.
Even with G tires the load carrying capacity is less then an E tire at the same pressure. It goes similarly for an E tire with same pressure as a D tire.
If the pressure requirement for D tires is 60 PSI, the loading is different for an E tire with 60PSI. Every time the pressure is dropped by 5 PSI the load on the tire is reduced by 200PSI.

I have a friend that drives with 35 PSI in his F450 rear tires because the truck is to rough with more. I told him I would not leave the park with that setup.

I was on the Ecomodder site and there was a comment that the only thing that hurts tires is not enough air in the tires, and the Ecomodders drive their vehicles with 10% more pressure then what is on the sidewall.

lwmcguir

I certainly agree. When I have tires repaired on one of the cars I have to argue with every tech about inflating to the stated air pressure on the side of the tire. Ran like this for several million miles and it is the best way to go. I drove around 150K per year (1 1/2 cars per year usually)working as an Engineer for GE until I retired so logged many miles all at the stated pressure on the tire. Same goes for our trucks and trailers.