Getting a little discouraged....

We were hoping to be on the road by now, with the 2010 Elkridge 29RKSA we purchased back in November (seems like an awfully long time ago!), but are getting stalled because of a solar install. We have all the stuff (six panels and all the attendant equipment and hardware), but are having a tough time finding someone to do the installation for us.

Our Heartland dealer doesn't want to do the wiring, so we've lined up a solar installation outfit to do that part (they normally do houses and other buildings). The solar people don't feel they are capable of putting the panels on the roof of the trailer, however. Our rv dealer at first was happy to do the panel installation, but has been pulling back, concerned about not being able to find the rafters to attach the panels to, not being able to attach the panels well enough so they don't fly off when we're driving down the road, and also a concern about causing leaks in the roof if they put the necessary holes through the rubber sheathing.

Originally we'd been planning on doing the installation ourselves (with some help), but the weather hasn't been getting any better, and we don't have access to the nice warm shop that our dealer has, so we've been trying to find someone to do this install for us. It has not been easy to find anyone interested in doing it, and now the dealership service manager is sounding like he's changed his mind about getting involved.

Are the service manager's (and solar installation company guy's) concerns valid? I haven't heard of anyone losing panels to the wind on the highway, nor have I heard stories of leaky roofs. It seems to me that putting the panels on the roof is really just a carpentry job -- locate the trusses and drill some holes, use some Dycor and screw down the panel brackets. Is it more complicated than that? I realize that our six panels are more than many people install, but we're hoping to do some serious boondocking and still be able to work using our computers. :)

Do any of you have solar installation horror stories that back up the dealership's concerns, or??

Still looking forward to leaving the snow behind,

-- Nicole

thomasinnv

locating roof rafters is not an issue. i doubt many panels out there are actually secured directly to the rafters. just find an open spot and lag the brackets to the roof, making sure to use dicor anywhere you penetrate the roof. the only installation i would be concerned with finding roof trusses would be on an aluminum roof with no plywood sheathing under neath. the install really is fairly simple, especially since it sounds like you have all the parts already. it sounds like you feel confident enough to do it yourself if not for the weather, so maybe you can hire a neighborhood handy man to do the job for you, and just supervise the install giving step by step guidance.

caissiel

here is the previous post
The August Issue of TL has a nice write up on this subject, They install and give all sort of ideas about the wiring and equipment needed.
The prices are going down and soon it will be an option on the RV's for sure. At least prewiring will be needed.

SmokeyBare

I don't believe it's all that important to secure the panels to the rafters of the RV. If you use an expanding type of fastener on the installation as well as some Rubber Roof approved type caulking, it should hold fine.

When I mounted ours, I located a product called "Well Nut" for the fastener. These are rubber plugs with a threaded nut built in the base.

They have a shoulder to prevent them from falling through the hole drilled in the roof. When the bolt is tightened, they expand the base below the surface of the roof to hold the Solar Panel mounting bracket very well. With the addition of a Rubber Roof caulking under the bracket and once it's tightened again caulking around the bolt head and bracket edges.

Find attached a photo of the Well Nut fastener.

Good Luck with your solar project !!

Marv

Attachments

• Well Nut.jpg
    Well Nut.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2243.JPG
    IMG_2243.JPG
    593.3 KB · Views: 120

CRLYHDS

Solar Panels

We were planning to get 2 solar panels 120 watt for our Elkridge. My husband is thinking that may not be enough. Love the photos, great install.

2010augusta

Thoes well-nut are good stuff. My father used them to mount a cargo basket to the fiberglass roof of his jeep.

SmokeyBare

Nice thing about Solar, you can always add more panels to the system if you find they are not getting the job done.

If you feel you might want to add to the system, be sure to size the wires from the Panels to the Charge Controller large enough to handle the additional current. Be sure the Charge Controller is able to handle the additional panel.

I ran the wires down from the panels one set of wires per pair of panels, to a solid connection block. From that Connection Block I then ran a much heavier pair of cables to the Charge Controller. I used # 10 Guage wire for the panel to the Block Connection. I used # 4 Guage wire from the Connection Block to the Charge Controller.

Placement of the panels on the roof is also important. It's nice to allow enough room for the extra panel when doing the initial install, you won't want to move the original system should you add another panel.

Have Fun ! :)

sunflower

Oh I have a feeling that a certain amount of reluctance on a dealer etc. installing your supplied material is that you did not purchase from them.They usually want to make some profit on selling material also and don't want to be responsible for your goods or installation thereof.You need some nice warm weather or a good handi buddy to help.There is such good information on here that you will be fine.If you can't wait to install in a warmer clime see if you can rent a stall somewhere for a day.Good luck.

Edmonton

I'm with Smokey Bare, the well nuts are all that is required and they don't need to be into a rafter. I was a little skeptical at first but they do a nice job.

David

smday

Thats 3 for the Well Nuts. Used them in the old trailer. Just make sure you are using big enough wire to take the current down to the controller and eventually the batteries.

X-Savior

Hey There,

With spring around the corner again I have been thinking about a Solar solution for my 2010 Northtrail 28BHS. I see another member here also from Edmonton with a 28BHS and possibly others. I was curious about your experiences with installing the solar setup and who and what you went with.

I am a Veteran Mobile 12v Installation guru but have never worked on a Travel Trailer before. I am considering a fairly descent setup of min 5a and possibly around 7.5a setup.

Currently I have dual 6volt deep cycles and I find my batterys will last me roughly 4 - 5 days boondocking. I am in the process of installing a small Home Theatre computer with a 22" LCD Panel for the rainy days. it will use a small converter and be powered from DC.

Will a 5a or 7.5a setup work well or should I be looking larger?

Any help and advise would be appreciated as I start to look into and learn about Solar setups.

PS> People talk about the advantages of being able to aim your solar panels to the sun. What are the chances of modifying the TV Antenna into a solar bracket to be able to raise it and aim it. I currently do not use the Antenna nor do I plan to use it either. This was just an idea I thought of... Any thoughts about it? :confused:

rvn4fun

We had two 4 amp panels and a battery pack of 4, 6 volt batteries with a 1500 watt inverter on our previous rv. We used to work camp for a outfitter down by a river where we park from May to September. We had no electrical hookups. We had a outhouse and he let us dump our grey water on the ground. We also installed a catalitic propane heater that didn't use any electricity. We used this setup for years and never required electricity. We had a dish sattelite system, 20 inch tv, and we could use our built in vacumm cleaner, even the microwave to heat up soup ect. Don't know how many days we could have ran on 2, 6 volts but I am sure it would be quite awhile.

Edmonton

Nice to see another Albertan on the board, and a fellow North Trailer at that. Welcome.

I have spent just the one season with my solar panel. I have one 110 watt panel that is charging 2 - 6 volt batteries. It puts out a rated maximum of 6.7 amps but that would be in ideal conditions. The most I saw was about 5.5 amps, which is pretty good I thought. I had no issues running out of juice this past summer during a variety of weather conditions, even camping in cold weather. You can view my set up here on the forum as I have posted my install pictures.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=9845

I don't have an inverter (yet) but it is my opinion that you will need some more batteries if you want to power 120 volt appliances on a daily basis. You would have to add up the power requirements of the things you want to run to see how much of a draw you are going to place on your batteries. The bad thing is the days you plan you to use your TV, the rainy days, you will be getting minimal charging from the solar panel(s). This is why I think you need to have lots of battery to back you up to ensure you don't run out. Having said that, it is likely that 1 panel the same as I have and considering our distance north you can expect about 36 amp hours return per day on average. Now on the cloudy days you aren't going to get that, that is just the rule of thumb I use for planning.

I am planning that my full system will consist of 2 - 110 watt panels (72 amp hours return per day average) and 4 - 6 volt batteries (about 400 amp hours reserve). I am planning to have a 1750 watt inverter eventually for the TV on rainy days and to run my wife's hair dryer. If you don't know what I am talking about with the amp hours check this guy out

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

His site was a wealth of information to me when I started to plan what I wanted. He explains it much better than I can.

If you want, since you are in Edmonton, you can come and see my install in person once I get the trailer out of storage come April. I am hoping to add to the system this year if the finances permit but solar is not the cheapest way to boon dock. I am forced to do it in stages because of the cost. That's the cool thing about solar though, you don't have to do it all at once and it is expandable.

You should check out the this site too,

http://www.northtrailtalk.com

There are a bunch of us over there that enjoy a little "North Trail" specific conversation, although I know most of us also read this forum every day too. Check it out.

David

X-Savior

Hey There,

Thanks for the info. I will take the time to read it and get more familiar with my requirements. With the RV Show here this weekend I hope to learn soem new stuf and possibly find some bargins on some gear.

I will happily take you up on your offer to check out your install this spring.

One thing I have been learning about also is the surge guard (Hardwired) also. Did you install one of these in your 28BHS? From what I understand I THINK there is room for one behind the Inverter under the Pantry at the back. Can you confirm this or have you seen behind the Inverter to know how much room there is in there?

PS> I also do visit both forums as well.v;)

Edmonton

Actually after I invited you to the other site I noticed that you had already posted over there. lol

I didn't install a surge protector. Don't know if I need to I am hardly ever plugged in, especially now with the solar panel. There may physically be enough room behind there but you have to keep in mind that your power cord coils up in that space when it isn't pulled out being used. You would have to pull the converter to see for sure.

There was a presentation at the RV show last year by a guy from Carmanah and I found it quite informative. There were a few deals to but to be honest I bought my stuff later in the spring for the same price. I got my stuff from Woody's, not from where I got the trailer. Long story there, but suffice to say they had the best prices and stock and the guys there were very helpful. If / when I add this spring I will be going to them.

David