Roof construction on ER 29RKSA

Hi! We're hoping to have our dealership install some solar panels on our trailer roof. They are a little uncertain about the whole procedure. Is there some place we can point them to (or can you supply them) with information on the location, composition (wood?) and size of the roof trusses (to attach the panel mounting brackets to)? What is the center to center spacing of the trusses, and is there any particular advice you have regarding locating the trusses? They are also concerned about causing leaks in the rubber sheathing on the roof. Is there anything special we should know (to pass along to the dealership) before we proceed?

Thanks!

caissiel

There is a write up in one of the Trailer Life Issue, they were at an RV service center that installed their unit. Very well written.
check the August 2009 issue

Last edited:

CRLYHDS

Solar Panels

We are going to install solar panels on our Elkridge after we add batteries and an inverter. Our service department designed the system for us based on our power requirements which includes batteries, solar, inverter, etc. It has taken us a long time to find a service department that can discuss power when dry camping. In the past we have been very frustrated attempting to talk to dealers who are clueless about solar, etc. I'm hoping someone on the forum will have the answers to your questions.

Rmcgrath53

I dont know about the Elk Ridge but the Bighorn uses aluminum trusses.(my Sundance is wood). Either one you should be able to locate them using a stud finder. I believe all the units roof deck are glued and screwed. In which case you should be able to find the screws with a metal detector or a stud finder. Not sure about the ER tho.

Last edited:

smday

If they are an RV dealership and have service bays they should have guys experienced at fixing roofs and know where the joist are. I am getting the works done to my trailer too for dry camping (Xantrex RS3000, 2 X 6 volt Discover EVL16A batteries, and 2 X 123 watt (producing 7.16 amps each) solar panels) I am also taking it to a battery shop that knows about the products they sell. They have also installed many of them and also uses the proper cables for hooking everything up. Some RV dealers undersize the wires because its cheaper and most customers don't know the difference.

caissiel

Good point with wire size, the charge wire on my truck to trailer barely gives me 7 amp, when Idling the truck. So I installed an RV battery on the truck.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I would be cautious about using a dealership to install solar panels if they don't know or are unsure about what they are doing. There are too many places out there that specialize in this type of installation. Better to be safe than sorry.

B

bwwalczak

ElkRidge roof trusses are aprox 16" on center, and they are wood. Your drilling into wood will be far better than aluminum.