Veterans! Request your DD214 online

truknutt

Committed Member
I don't know how long this has been available but here is the National Archives' link for requesting Veteran's Military Personnel Records electronically.

It's official; DD-214s are NOW Online.
The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has provided the following website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214s online: http://vetrecs.archives.gov/

This may be particularly helpful when a veteran needs a copy of his DD-214 for employment purposes. NPRC is working to make it easier for veterans with computers and Internet access to obtain copies of documents from their military files.

Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members may now use a new online military personnel records system to request documents. Other individuals with a need for documents must still complete the Standard Form 180, which can be downloaded from the online web site. Because the requester will be asked to supply all information essential for NPRC to process the request, delays that normally occur when NPRC has to ask veterans for additional information will be minimized. The new web-based application was designed to provide better service on these requests by eliminating the records centers mailroom and processing time.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Trucknutt, very nice. I just found my original DD214 that is 40 years old this year. I am looking to find my award letter if you have any idea for service connected disabilities. In California, any state school including junior colleges have free tuition for children of Veterans with service connected disabilities. They want that darn award letter and mine is 39 years old and no where to be found. Any on line ideas to find those, or even phone numbers? They won't even take my VA card that says service connected, as they want the real thing.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I don't know how long this has been available but here is the National Archives' link for requesting Veteran's Military Personnel Records electronically.

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has provided the following website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214s online: http://vetrecs.archives.gov/

This may be particularly helpful when a veteran needs a copy of his DD-214 for employment purposes. NPRC is working to make it easier for veterans with computers and Internet access to obtain copies of documents from their military files.

Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members may now use a new online military personnel records system to request documents. Other individuals with a need for documents must still complete the Standard Form 180, which can be downloaded from the online web site. Because the requester will be asked to supply all information essential for NPRC to process the request, delays that normally occur when NPRC has to ask veterans for additional information will be minimized. The new web-based application was designed to provide better service on these requests by eliminating the records centers mailroom and processing time.

Believe it or not this was supposed to have been on line last year. Beats the heck out of having to get a copy from the VA. Thanks for the update

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Trucknutt, very nice. I just found my original DD214 that is 40 years old this year. I am looking to find my award letter if you have any idea for service connected disabilities. In California, any state school including junior colleges have free tuition for children of Veterans with service connected disabilities. They want that darn award letter and mine is 39 years old and no where to be found. Any on line ideas to find those, or even phone numbers? They won't even take my VA card that says service connected, as they want the real thing.

You can call for information on your VA Benefits: 1-800-827-1000. They will be able to provide you with your needed documentation.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
You should HAVE and most importantly KEPT the original DD Form 214 when seperated. You should have filed it at a court house (County Records) when first seperated and then it becomes record where you can get a COPY anytime you need one. There is only one original and you should have it. I keep mine in a safety deposit box along with other non-replaceable (sp) documents. What you will (if at all) get from Military records is a copy of a copy and in some instances this will not fullfill requirements of the original.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
If you have service related problems and or are trying to get care for these and do not have original letters and documentation you can attempt to contact those that were with you when you got it or it happened and get letters. You can contact all medical facilities and get records of care and you can file an appeal with your VA center closest to you. They don't make it easy but if you keep at it you will get what you need.............good luck

Russ

Delaine and Lindy

Dd 214...

rumaco, very good comment. When I retired in 1993 I did exactly the same. Went to the court house a had my DD 214 recorded and registered at the court house. If you pass prior to your spouse it will be a great help and save your wife a lot of problems. The DD 214 is one of your most important documents. GBY....

SilverRhino

trucknutt;

This is a bit off the subject but, do you by any chance know how far back the computer records go??

We are trying to find military records for my Grandfather...thought this might be a place to go.

Thanks

truknutt

Committed Member

You may have to file a request the old fashioned way and ask for an extract of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF or for your old Army dogs; the 201 File) because you want a certain item.

Read this link

truknutt

Committed Member

truknutt

Committed Member
You should HAVE and most importantly KEPT the original DD Form 214 when seperated. You should have filed it at a court house (County Records) when first seperated and then it becomes record where you can get a COPY anytime you need one. There is only one original and you should have it. I keep mine in a safety deposit box along with other non-replaceable (sp) documents. What you will (if at all) get from Military records is a copy of a copy and in some instances this will not fullfill requirements of the original.

Hooah, Chief! I have had numerous Veterans (read that kids) apply for positions with our company and I am floored at how many don't have a clue where their original 214 is. I mention the County Courthouse and get the "deer in the headlight" look. They obviously never paid attention at their mandatory TAP/ACAP sessions.

SilverRhino

Thanks For the Information

John & truknutt...thank you for the links...maybe I'll be able to find some information.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Sounded familiar

WOW truknutt it has been many many years since I have been called "Chief!" Most people have no idea what it means...........Russ

Everyone Please ck your DD214 for accuracy. Ive had mine for 32 years and never realized some of the info. was wrong until 3 days ago when I applied for medical benefits.I sent off for new records at the St.Louis MO address. takes 4 week turnaround. Greg

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has provided the following website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214s online: http://vetrecs.archives.gov/ .

Great Website Dave! Thanks for posting this!

WOW truknutt it has been many many years since I have been called "Chief!" Most people have no idea what it means...........Russ

Those of us who have worked around you crusty old Warrants certainly won't forget! As a young 2LT, I learned more in a few days around a Sergeant Missile CW4 than the weeks of school I had just graduated from.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I ran into one of the last USAF CW4's while in tech school at Amarillo AFB back in early '68. He was nearing retirement and ran the clothing sales/issue operation. I got assigned to him to clean up and stock shelves while I was waiting for my duty orders, after finishing the training course. Nice guy and easy duty. Do my work and find a place to sack out. Connected to the base bakery, so fresh cookies were always available for the ladies (and me) that worked the office.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Warrant Vs Commissioned

The big differance in a Warrant and a Commissioned Officer is that a Commissioned means put in to service and Warrant means guaranteed to work. I was an aviation Warrant, started in Vietnam (1969) as a UH-1C gunship pilot for the 282nd Alleycats and the 48th Jokers all in I Corps. I then went all over the world many times as a test pilot for the US Army and finally retired in 1991. All of the commissioned up to the grade of Major seemed to be a little afraid of us (especially the W4s) and I played it to my benefit. The best rank in the Military! Support our troops, they are the reason we have what we have!!!!!!

truknutt

Committed Member

I worked for a mean old nasty CW5 who came in before I was born (everybody ---NOW THAT'S OLD!) ..believe me I know what it means!!

He hated to be called "Mister". Maybe that's what his mean mama used to call him. :D

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Cw5

It started as a non-pay grade to dislodge all of us old W4s. The only way they can get rid of you is to pass you over for promotion twice and with no other rank to be promoted to the CW5 was started to be able to get rid of the W4s. Well Congress would not let them make it a non-pay grade so the pay grade CW5 was off and running. I was offered CW5 but elected to not take it and get out while I could still do things. I did however become one of the few "now get this" Commissioned Warrant Officers. Commissioned in that we now have UCMJ abilities and can command companies, but still a Warrant by rank.........strange concept! I ran a 200 personnel company that test flew and modified/repaired aircraft in the Army inventory and now could give article 15s etc.