Slide bottom covering ripping off

tinkers

Full timers
Last weekend found that the covering on our big living room slide is tearing off in chunks on both ends right at the edge. The material looks like some kind of contact paper type material, covering a wood like substance which doesn't appear to be real wood, but is soft and tears off sticking to the contact paper like material. It has ripped big chunks off from one end to the other, about 2" wide.
Sent pics and pieces to our dealer, and apparently, THE FACTORY HAS A KIT FOR THIS!!!! Hmmmmm. Soooooo, kits are being ordered for all 3 slides because the others are showing signs of beginning this ripping also. We are in Traverse City for 2 weeks, then will go home for repairs.

In the meantime, we are concerned about it getting wet in the rain and perhaps damaging the woodlike substance. It had been raining when we left Potoskey, and bottom of carpet was soaked on both sides. Dealer suggested putting strip of duct tape along the area. The kit is an adhesive strip 4" wide, so we don't want it to get any wider. Thought of painting it with oil based paint, but the adhesive strip won't stick to that.

Better get under there and look at those slides, everyone. Also remember we are full time and traveling a lot, so they get a lot of use, so your problem may not show up for a while. Obviously it has been happening a lot for there to be a kit for it!!! It comes from an outside source.

More in a couple of weeks,
Logan & Pat
Big Horn 3400RL #455

K

Ken Washington

Logan,
This happened to one of our slides on our Grand Canyon. It was like that before we took delivery and Bill Plemmons fixed it and did one of the other slides also. After one year, looks like it is holding up but I still keep an eye on them.
Ken

J-W&E

We have just had the same thing happen to our 2005 GC. We have been watching it wear until it finally wore through to the wood. Heartland was very helpful and co-operative and we are taking it to be fixed.

jbeletti

I had this happen on the bottom near the side edge of 1 slide on my Landmark. The repair looked great, but it tore again some months later. At the 2006 rally, a screw was found to be scraping the bottom when the slide room came in. They picked up the screw and it has not gotten worse. They could not make the material repair at the rally. I have an appointment to get it taken care of. If your repairs go as well as my first one did, it will look nice. Just make sure the root cause is addressed first.

J-W&E

Thanks Jim. We have an appointment at LSI for the repair and will note that they check as to the root cause of the rip.