Hot Waterheater Checkvalve Broken off

cjhicks

We just pulled into Grassey Key RV Resort and found water in the storage area when I got into the back of the Hotwater Heater found some sort of plastic valve broken off of the top of the heater, I recall reading about others replaceing this with a brass valve but can not fine the post. Can anyone help us out ?

cjhicks

Thanks Jim & Allen for your help. I was able to remove the plastic threads that were left in the water heater and had to put a brass nipple in with out a check valve so we could have hot water tonight. Will try to locate one tomorrow I don't know if there are any plumbing supply stores in the Fla. Keys.:(

lhetsler

Check valve

Got mine a Lowes about 8 buck. Go where they have the water shutoff valves. Mine was 1/2 pipe thread.

caissiel

I have removed the check valve on many trailers when the owners complained of shower cold water when they closed and reopened the shower.
I just install a brass valve and fittings and tell them to close that valve when they winterize.
After a while the check will cause this problem anyway so I will just do that to my unit before it leaves me stranded.
I believe the newer units have a brass valve there now.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
When I was in Elkhart last fall I purchased a new brass check valve. This is on the top of my todo list in the spring when I open up the camper again. Because of the others on on here having the probles of the plastic ones breaking I just thought I would rather do it now and hopefully avoid the suprise.

Thanks to you all for bring this up,
Mark

cashb

Caissiel, we had the cold water surprise after turning off then on the shower head on our old fiver. Always wondered why!!! Another reason this site is so valuable!! Thanks!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I guess I'm confused. Just what is the purpose of this check valve? I realize they are used to prevent a backflow, but of what? Water? The valves in the UDC isolate the tank from the water system during winterizing, so ???

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
The check valve is on the hot water line exiting the water heater. It is the second part to keep antifreeze from flowing into the water heater when winterizing the trailer. The first part is the water heater three way by pass valve on the cold water line entering the water heater.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The check valve is on the hot water line exiting the water heater. It is the second part to keep antifreeze from flowing into the water heater when winterizing the trailer. The first part is the water heater three way by pass valve on the cold water line entering the water heater.

Got it. So putting a ball valve in it's place would make it necessary to remove the basement wall panel to winterize. The idea of a preemptive repair to change the plastic check valve to a brass one makes sense, but putting a ball valve in there adds extra work on an annual basis.