Towing Clearance

bigbird272

I have a 2005 4x4 Ford F350. When I pick up my trailer in 10 days. It is a Big Horn 3580. My question is what kind of clearance can I expect above the back of the truck bed when hooked up. Can anyone out there with a F350 advise what I might get in inches?

Rick

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Our 05 F350 CC DRW has just about 5-6 inches with the B&W hitch set in the middle hole. Less than on our 2001 with the Pull-Rite. If we raise the hitch anymore, then the trailer's not level. Higher sides on the bed than the 01 too. We were a little concerned before we actually hooked up, as it didn't look like it would clear.
I don't know how heavy you'll pack, but our loaded up 3370 does make the truck squat a little. Lots of heavy stuff in the front for us. Pulls really well though and we're just under weights for everything.

ArlingtonFire

The dealership should help to make sure your clearance is good whether your set up is good frrom the start or the height of the fifth wheel is adjusted. I have always heard to maintain 5 to 6" clearance.

lwmcguir

The dealership should help to make sure your clearance is good whether your set up is good frrom the start or the height of the fifth wheel is adjusted. I have always heard to maintain 5 to 6" clearance.

We like 6" to be the minimum. Any less than that and you will be rubbing the box when backing into sites or going across low dips. Of course if you have a special bed then it isn't an issue. I prefer 7" due to some hilly sites we visit.

caissiel

I like to have 5-6 inches. I have had close calls many time but never got in trouble as long as the rear of the truck is about 1 inch lower then the front. When I had stiffer suspensions on a lighter trailer the truck was higher on the back then the front. I lowered the rear of the truck to suit because I could not raise the trailer any higher. When the clearance is measured you need to measure the tailgate area because you will get in greater trouble with the rear of the box touching the underbelly of the 5th wheel.

Delaine and Lindy

Clearance...

I have always been told 5" is the minimum however more is better. I prefer a hauler bed then you will have no issues. One other thing is make sure if your using a Trailair pin box when making sharp turns that the end of the pin box doesn't hit you side rails. But thats on GM Trucks not sure about the Fords. I have seen many Chevy bed rails damaged, have seen two since last Oct. GBY.....

cableman

I have an 04 f-350 and i pull a 24rl north trail. I use a curt hitch and have at least 6 inches of clearance. When the dealer installed the hitch they had to adjust the hitch to get the trailer to sit level and have enough clearance.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Try the exact method of on level ground two fists. LOL. I had the exact same problem as the trailer rails scratched the underbelly when I turned out of a driveway or parking lot. My advice is to make sure your dealer Okays it, as if u have damage like I did, my dealer reset the hitch pin cushion and fixed all the scratches under warranty and it hasn't happened again. What fooled them was the Mor/Ryde hitch pin cushion and the high riding pullrite hitch.

bigbird272

Thanks Larry, I will let you know how I made out. I have about 5 with my present 5th. The two hand method does work very well though.

Rick

Last edited:

trvlrerik

I was worried about clearance issues at first as I have 20" rims on my 4X4. I have my Companion hitch one bolt hole lower than the middle and I have 10" of clearance at the tailgate. On a level surface with the truck nearly 90 degrees sideways the toolbox has about 6", 10" over the top edge of the bed.
Before I got to the dealership I just figured that I was going to have to move the trailer to its highest axle setting, but luckily at my cyclones lowest setting it rides flat while hooked up.

bigbird272

Thanks for the info. I pick it up in about 10 days at the dealer. Probably worrying about nothing. I would love to have anything 6 and above. I have almost hit the my present trailer that has about 5 inch clearance. Hope to have more with the new one.

Rick

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I'd maintain at least 6" above the bed rail. Get your truck and trailer level then add blocks or raise the trailer to get your bed rail clearance. I had to raise my trailer 3" to drive down the road dead level on both units.