Idea about cleaning black tank

Bobby A

O.k, every now and then I have an idea ( I didn't say a good idea) just an idea. While flushing my black tank, I got the idea of filling the black tank and put dawn dishwashing soap in the tank and let it sit for a while and then dump. I figured if Dicor recommends it for rubber roofs to clean the bird dropping and such, it might work for human dropping. (lol). It seems no matter how long I would flush the tank I would still get a little t/p or snickers bars (yuck) so thats how I got the idea. Well, its to late if its not a good idea, cause I have already done it. I'm in the waiting period for the dawn to do its job on the tank before I flush it AGAIN !! Any thoughts ???? I used to use bleach on my sob but must of over did it on the bleach because after time it created a leak in the tank at the seam. O.k. waiting period is over, time to go dump. I'll post back if any negative results.

Last edited:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I probably SHOULDN'T have read this while eating lunch:eek:! Oh well, looking forward to the results.

Delaine and Lindy

Black Tank ...

Lots of RVer's do this while they are moving with a little water and when they get to the next RV park dump again. I haven't used that method. However I use Calgon after dumping the Black Tank. I now very seldom every have to back flush but two time and the water will be clear. I also use nothing but Angel Soft for the TP. GBY....

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bobby, I have done what was mentioned above. put some Dawn down there and some water while traveling. I do the black and kitchen grey tank on occasion. It does help clean. Calgon, as stated is a good addition.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
After reading the Geo method early last season, I mostly stopped using the Aqua-Chem and just dissolved a cup of Calgon powder in a bucket of water and dumped that down the toilet. Never had any odor while flushing the toilet and it drained pretty well. Since I had a supply of the chemical, I did occasionally use it instead, but didn't see any great difference in how well the tank drained or the contents broke up (clear extension to monitor flow). As for the sensors, they were next to useless regardless of what was used.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Forget the sensors, always set-up the RV with a slight lean towards the drain side and just be happy. Empty as required.:D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Forget the sensors, always set-up the RV with a slight lean towards the drain side and just be happy. Empty as required.:D

With three slides on the drain side, it pretty much does that on its own. I haven't had a problem dumping the tanks (unless something occasionally gets caught in the tank opening). By watching the flow rate, I can usually tell if something is jamming the works. It's usually a recently added "deposit" that is the culprit. A little backflushing and it's off to the races again.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
With three slides on the drain side, it pretty much does that on its own. I haven't had a problem dumping the tanks (unless something occasionally gets caught in the tank opening). By watching the flow rate, I can usually tell if something is jamming the works. It's usually a recently added "deposit" that is the culprit. A little backflushing and it's off to the races again.

"Thats the way you do it..."

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This is a subject that keeps coming up. It is intresting to hear all the different ways people use to maintain their black tanks.

When I got my first 5er I read a lot of forums, one being the Escapees, which have a load of long time fulltimers. Most of them said to not use anything in the tanks but lots of water. The natural process will keep the tank in good condition. I rinse the tank a couple of times when I dump. Then about every few weeks I take a hose and fill the black tank through the commode a couple of times to use the force of the water to clean out any extra debris. In the hot climates you might use some chemical to get rid of some odor. Normally there is not smell unless the temp gets over 100*.

A lot of RV parks use septic tanks and the chemicals can cause a problem with the septic system.

BC

lwmcguir

We have used a biodegradable product that has deodorizing properties as well as enzymes. Never had an issue yet but shouldn't have stated that. It comes in liquid or powder and is sold at most dealers. My neighbor uses the same dried bacteria he used in his septic system and full times 1/2 the time, again with no problems.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Calgon and dish washing detergent. No problems with dumping or tank sensors.
Kristy

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Ziggy I second that calgon and dish washing detergent and also use CW suggestion of formaldehyde chemical every so often, as well as filling up the black tank with water and dumping at least once a week.